Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Hump Back Wednesday~~December 2, 2009


The Hump Back Day Is Back Again.
It's a sure thing...Wednesday comes back again every week. And it's always the same place in the week. It doesn't change, and it's always considered the hump day. At the beginning of the week, people go up the daily hill to get to the middle of the week and once there on Wednesday, they start going back down the hill. I guess that's why working people like Wednesdays....the downhill slide closer to Friday begins when you walk out the door of your workplace on Wednesday afternoon. For us people who don't work or are just plain old....it doesn't much matter to us, unless we're looking forward to going out to eat at some of the Wednesday night special greasy spoon restuarants....then it means a lot to old folks. The old poem, Monday's Child, indicates that the Wednesday's child is full of woe, but I sure don't believe that....I know lots of people who were born on a Wednesday and these people aren't full of woe. Me thinks whoever wrote that Monday's child poem, had some enemies who were born on Wednesdays or had too much to drink that day when the poem was penned.....maybe the poem was written on a Wednesday!!! >>>giggle<<

************
Did You Put Up Your Christmas Tree Yet?
I'm one of those proscrastinators when it comes to putting up the family Christmas tree. Some years I feel like a small tree and some years I feel like a big tree with all of the trimmings. The small tree is about 5 feet tall and is about 10 inches in diameter all the way down...in other words, it's one of those very skinny trees. I keep it decorated with lights all the time. All I have to do is fluff up the sparsely located branches and hang a few decorations. The other tree is about 6 or 7 feet tall, and is stored in a box in pieces and put together following the color scheme. The instructions which came with the tree about a hundred years ago said "easy to do, just watch for the branch color and put the right branch in the correct branch slot" .... but I always manage to get the wrong branches in the wrong slots so the tree is usually lopsided with big branches near the top and the short branches adorning the bottom in some places and in other places, these long honkers are hanging towards the floor. See why I would rather just put up the skinny tree?????? It's a matter of frustration for me. So far, I haven't felt the need to put up either tree! Wonder what that's all about? Is that a sign I don't want Christmas to come or just that I'm lazy this year. Maybe I will feel the touch of the Christmas tree goblin today and get the urge to put up the tree, If you have your tree already finished, I certainly hope it's beautiful. Sometimes Christmas trees look almost like a magical apparition. Here's hoping yours does.

**************
Update On Repairs On My Old House.
My old house was located on Douglas Street, and sat in the middle of the town's main street coming south from the park. If you stood at the elevator and looked south for four blocks, that's the house. Several weeks ago the house caught fire and burned in the attic. It appears quite a bit of damage was done in the top floors. For a couple of weeks, there were construction trucks there and big dumpsters and we could see clean-up efforts. Then all at once everything stopped. And it hasn't progressed since then. The dumpster is still there. There's junk laying in the yard, but no activity and no construction trucks. I hope this doesn't mean that repairs won't ever occur. That thought saddens me. I'll try to keep you posted on any progress.
****************
Famous Birthdays.
Brittany Spears (1981)
Cathy Lee Crosby (1948)
Happy Birthday to you if today is your birthday.
******************
Quote For The Day
No Man Is Rich Enough To Buy His Past
Have a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have one of those old trees with the color markings..one problem with mine is that over the years some of the colors have worn off so you have to guess which slot the branch goes in, and you usually guess wrong...we keep saying that we will go out the day after Christmas and buy a new tree when everything is discounted, but then Christmas comes and we forget about it...I have to also have a fresh cut tree so that we can have the smell in the house, and I can have the joy of trying to get a 12 foot tree to stand straight in the stand...I think my Christmas tree stand collection has grown to 6

Ken Dirks
Marietta, GA

Anonymous said...

My tree isn't up yet, either. I have to wait for my farmer to get the crops done before I ask him to bring it up from the basement and get it put together. Hopefully, I will get it put this weekend or the first of next week. I love to decorate our home, but it is always such a hassle to bring up the plastic containers (many trips up and down the basement steps), unload them and decide where to put what! But, I love Christmas decorations: the navitity most of all! I have had the same nativity for 30 yrs. at least. Happy Decorating to you!
Charlotte :)