Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wisdom Wednesday ~~December 9, 2009

Today is Wisdom Wednesday.
I decided that would be a good designation for today. It's the middle of the week, with the wind howling outside, so the wisdom of today as I see it is....stay inside and read something refreshing, a recalling incident or something just new to the old brain.

I know it is hard to believe a year has passed, but one year ago today was the arrest of Rod Blagojevich by federal officials for a number of alleged crimes, including selling the senate seat of Barack Obama.

In 1979, the eradification of small pox was certified. How wonderful that such a horrible disease was driven to extinction. I certainly wish a few more could become extinct....cancer, the common cold, alzheimer's and heart disease top my list.

Here's some trivia in it's finest....this type of trivia has no value....just fodder for the brain. In Sweden and Finland, today is called "Anna's Day". It recognizes everyone named "Anna" and marks the day to start preparation of lutefisk which is to be consumed on Christmas Eve. Lukefisk is a dried fish made from stockfish and soda lye. Oh icky!

I couldn't find any important people birthdays for today....so I guess that means it is a dull day. I hope your day is anything but dull. Dull days are just useless and should be banned from the calendar. Every day should be exciting and full of something or other. So here's to an exciting day for you.....take care and be careful if the weather is bad where you live....Greenview or psuedo-Greenview....because you know that if you were once a Greenviewanite, even your new place of habitat becomes a psuedo-Greenview. >>>giggle<<<<

********************

Learn New Words-A-Day.
I watch shows like Jeopardy and Millionaire and when I see some of the questions, I realize how dumb I really am. So, I'm always trying to learn something new. Many times I will see a new word in a book I'm reading or a word on a television show, so I write it down so I can look it up in the dictionary. Babies learn how to speak our language by learning new words each day. So if a baby can do it, I can too.

Gotta keep our minds sharp and clear so it seems to me that a new section called Learn New Words-A-Day is most appropriate. Many medical journals indicate that keeping your mind active, helps to reduce your chances of getting Alzheimer's Disease. So the more we learn, the better off we are. I dare each of you to use some of these words in sentences today....at work, at home, at play. You will most likely see the person you are talking to, squint up their face.....that's always telling....they don't know the word you just used.....and they think you are so smart!!! Try it!!

Words For Today:

engender = cause
harangue = noisy; attacking speech
abrogate = cancel; deny; repeal
lachrymose = tearful; sad

*****************
Merry Christmas In Many Languages.
Except for our Native Indian friends, all of us in America have ancestory of a different country. It might be English or German or French or Irish or whatever. In order to further our education, I'm setting forth a section from now until Christmas with the words Merry Christmas being said in different languages. I'll do as many as I can from now until then, but if you want a special request, just indicate that request in the comments section. I will then try to find how to say "Merry Christmas" in the language of your choice.
German
Froehliche Weihnachten

French
Joyeaux Noel
(I remember this from High School)

Danish
Glædelig Jul

Dutch
Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! or Zalig Kerstfeast


*******************

Blood Drive Saturday.

On December 12, a blood drive will be held at the Greenview Baptist Church from 9am to noon. Walk-ins are welcome or you can call 1-866-give-bld, ext 118 to schedule an appointment.

Give As Much As You Can.
The Honor Society is collecting canned goods for the CIA.....take a canned good to a ballgame and get $1.00 off. You can take donations directed to the food pantry to the CIA building each weekday morning. Check to see if any Angel tags still remain on the tree at Petefish. The AMVETS in Springfield on south 6th is collecting men and women's warm, new and gently used coats for homeless veterans.

The cold weather is horrible for the homeless and underprivileged. Not enough food to eat, no coat to wear and no money to buy a warm drink, must be horrible for any citizen on this earth. When I see a homeless person begging, my first thought isn't one of horror or hate, my first thought is compassion for mankind. I always give the person at least a dollar, or even more if I have cash in my pocket. And when I see the Salvation Army red buckets, I always give a little change. It doesn't matter that it's not a lot of change, little amounts will help too. Little amounts from a lot of people make big amounts.

Let the season bring out the love of mankind in your heart. Jesus is the reason for the season. He shared with the multitude. Many times we will stand among a multitude of hungry and homeless people. We should feed, care, and love thy neighbor. We need not worry that there will be enough to go around, as the story we learned as children, tells us that the leftovers from those love and trust will fill many many baskets.

Quote For The Day
Love Is The Triumph of
Immagination Over Intelligence
~~H. L. Mencken
Holiday Cheer To You!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have eaten lutefisk and it is as bad as it sounds, and smells. It's still a big custom in Minnesota where there are a lot of Swedes to serve Lutefisk and Lefsa (sort of a potato pancake) at Christmas. My wife's family is Swedish, and when we used to travel to Minneapolis for the holidays we always had to endure this meal...stinks up the entire house, and actually most of the generation starting with her parents don't even like it! There are still some restaurants in the area that carry Lutefisk on the menu during most of the year.

Ken Dirks
Marietta, GA

Anonymous said...

Ken...I figured Lutefisk was nasty just from looking at the way it's made. I've tasted Lefsa and I didn't like it either. Give me catfish and I'm happy.

Carla