Sunday, December 6, 2009

St. Nicholas Day....December 6, 2009

Happy St. Nicholas Day.
In some places in Europe, the feast of St. Nicholas will be celebrated today. In Northern Europe, good little children receive candy, apples, nuts and other treats in their shoes (oh pee-u). Most of those who still celebrate are of German descent. These children put their shoes outside their bedroom door on St. Nicholas Day eve. I remember our German exchange student telling us all about this when she lived in our home. Her shoes were huge, so there was lots of room for lots of treats.

There are still celebrations of the typical German type St. Nicholas Feast Day in St. Louis and other cities with large communities of German, Polish, Belgium and Dutch descent.

If any readers of German ancestory still celebrates this feast of St. Nicholas, I hope your day is pleasant and enjoyable.

*****************
Today December 6 and Christmas Is Getting Closer.
There are 25 days remaining in this month and in this year of 2009. The 340th day of the year. There are only two more Sundays prior to the celebration of the Jesus' birthday. Many people in America celebrate the advent season with a special calendar for their children. Typically a small door on the calendar is opened to expose the day so the children will have an easy time knowing how many more days are remaining until Christmas morning. Unfortunately, not enough people in America celebrate the real reason for the Christmas celebration.
A few days ago as I was driving in Springfield, a huge sign caught my eye. The words were written in script and told a very clear story. The words were simply "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season". Yes it is HIS special day. But, do we really recognize this or do we simply say, "yes, we know this is the reason for the season" and let it go at that? Many years ago, I saw the following poem and it made me cry. It brought to mind that I really wasn't celebrating Christmas for the right reason. My children were old enough to understand when I told them that we must start to really celebrate the birth of Jesus. I knew that they would not understand if Santa Claus no longer brought presents so I just incorporated the birth of Jesus into our Christmas celebration. I made sure our prayers included our dedication to the Lord and our thanks for giving his Son for our sins. Our prayer at mealtime always thanked the Lord for everything he does for us. We celebrated by giving gifts to the needy in Jesus' name. And we had a little nativity scene on our table where we could gaze and remember that Jesus is the reason for the season. As you go through today and each day before the celebration of Christmas, join with me and give thanks for the opportunity to praise God and to recognize his son who gave his life for us. Enjoy the season. Amen.


"Happy Birthday, Jesus"
I had a birthday party, most everybody came.
They danced and ate and had a ball, But no one spoke My name.
They gave each other presents, as nice as they could be.
People came from far and near, But no one mentioned Me.
The stores were filled with shoppers, The restaurants crowded out,
But no one seemed to really know what the party was about.
They talked about a reindeer. I think Rudolph was his name.
Then someone mentioned "Jesus", And they hung their heads in shame.
You see, it was My birthday. They didn't even know.
That is why from heaven My heart is grieving so.
I came to earth from heaven on that first Christmas day--
Born in a lowly manger From sin to show the way.
I died one day on Calvary, on a cruel Roman cross
To save a world of sinners from a life of awful loss.
When you next have a party, with presents, friends and tree,
Remember Me, your Savior, whose birth has set you free.
-- Jesus
PS: I am coming again soon.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For The Love Of Jesus
I remain your friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL post today!! I so agree w/your message and intent. Bless you. :)
Charlotte :)