Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Day After The New Beginning

Here 'tis the day after I rebirthed this blog. I've received positive comments which sure gives me incentive to "keep on truckin".

I used to get up about 4 am to write my blog, but I'm a bit older (cough cough....boy do I hate to admit that) so I sleep in now. My body was saying what's the need to get up at 4am.....you don't work; it's dark outside; the neighbor's chickens are still fast asleep after having to keep awake half the night to stay out of the clutches of the wily old fox which roams this area; the deer haven't started their munching on my bushes or crashing through the forest across the street; the squirrel who lives in my front yard tree is not chattering so must still be in his drey (did you know that is the name of a squirrel nest?); I can hear the sounds of the cars going 90 miles per hour on Sweetwater Road so it's getting to be time to go to work for some (and yes they do drive that fast and one of these days Bambi will get them).

Otherwise it's quiet in the country life of Greenview, IL. No shootings occurred because I have a police scanner upstairs and one downstairs so I know what goes on. The only thing that happened early this morning was someone overdosed on 10 tylenol and some vicadon. That must have been some headache to take that much!! Otherwise same old, same old in this slow-as-molasses town.

I'll let you in on my secret....the highlight of my week is Thursday afternoon because the Menard County Review is delivered at Casey's. I hop in the car and beat it to town just to spend my $.50 to get the blab. Let me tell you......I about went nuts the other day when the doctor told me I couldn't drive, thus I couldn't get my Greenview blab. I still call it the Greenview blab, but it has so little information about Greenview, I should call it the Athens Gazette. Our town doesn't have a newshound so the little town gets swept under the carpet, but I still salivate on Thursday afternoons until the paper arrives, fresh from the printing press. I speed home (just a bit of speeding), get my fresh glass of iced whatever, and spend the next 15 minutes combing the paper for every bit of Greenview news. This has got to be an addiction. Then, I massage that info and put it in my blog because I know you all are starving for info on our little town of Greenview. Most of you moved away so this info is your lifeline to our youthfulness or, if you didn't grow up here, just a lifeline to the town which became a part of your history. Some of us left and came back (hand rises and shows I'm the guilty party) and yes I missed the town when I wasn't living here. I missed the "hardroad" which runs through town.

Wow I just looked at the clock and it has taken me almost an hour to write this prattle. Time does fly and I think I'm getting older. When I worked and had to "write" for a living, I could whiz through my article/piece in a New York minute. But the mind has slowed and the fingers are slower from carpel tunnel I suppose. Time marches on, even in Greenview, IL. So my friends, I must end this prattle and see what else I can tell you this morning.......later my fellow Greenviewanites.


What's for Supper at our house.
A topic which intends to inspire you to cook different things, because life gets boring if you cook the same old things night after night.

Tonight I'm having Taco Squares. My granddaughter, who is almost age 14 and one of my 10 year old grandsons are visiting. I hire them to work, so us old folks can sit around more and believe me it's worth the money I pay out. My granddaughter is the best worker I've seen. She is exceptional for her age. Today is bathroom cleaning day so the country lime scum will be no more this evening. Since they will work hard, I thought I probably owed the kids a favorite food for supper. Here's what we're having.

Unroll one can of crescent rolls and put them in a Pam sprayed 9 x 13 pan....let them sit for a couple of minutes to get a little warm and they will pull easier to cover the pan and spread a little up the sides. Put them in the oven at 350 for a few minutes just to get a little of the stickiness out.....keep watching and press your finger down on the dough for a little firmness.....probably takes about 5 minutes....but don't let them get brown. Cook 1 - 1/2 pounds of hamburger with 1/4 cup of chopped onion. Drain (and I rinse mine with hot water to get out the fat). Add one and a half packages of Taco mix and the water it says on the package. Then I add 1 can of tomato sauce after about 3 minutes and heat it up. Spread it over the partially cooked crescent roll dough and then sprinkle with either shredded cheddar or colby cheese. Use another can of crescent rolls and cover the taco meat. Bake until it's brown. Cut in squares. You can serve with more shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and onions if you prefer. YUMMY!

Greenview Cemetary
Just wanted to comment that the Elmwood Cemetary in Greenview always looks so nice. The men who take care of Menard Country cemetaries are led by Alan Dean who lives in Sweetwater. He also is the pastor at the Middletown Presbyterian Church. Alan's staff should be proud as they do a wonderful job of maintaining the place which will eventually be my home for eternity.

Thought For Today


If someone does not smile at you

be generous and offer your own smile.

Nobody needs a smile more

than the one who cannot smile to others.


--Dalai Lama



Until we meet again................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did dinner replace supper as the evening meal and when did lunch replace dinner as the mid-day meal?

We do pay a county cemetery tax for maintenance of Menard County cemeteries....glad to hear that at least these tax dollars are well spent.

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

My mom thinks the world of Alan Dean. I hear about him a lot!

Charla Stone

Anonymous said...

Ken....I'm with you. Don't know when that happened. Do you suppose mealtime names are regional and we've always been sideways of the terms????

When I'm among persons I don't know so well, I call supper dinner, but to me it's really supper, and dinner is lunch and breakfast is a piece of toast and a cup of coffee. I think the southern folks call breakfast rashers of bacon, or sausage links or patties, biscuits and gravy, grits, fried potatoes and eggs, with a large juice and a cup of strong coffee.

If I ate that type of breakfast each day, I would be a large as a barn instead of the size of a small shed. I'll stick to my breakfast idea, a quick salad for lunch and a supper that's not fancy unless I go out to "dinner" at a nice expensive place.

Anonymous said...

ooops that was Carla who just posted that breakfast, dinner and supper post.....