Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wake Up And Smell The Roses

Good Morning America.
Do you ever wake up and think, thank goodness I'm still alive? I do that a lot. Think about persons you might know who have been told they have cancer or some other horrible disease and nothing can be done. It must be terrible to think that if I were that person, I might not wake up tomorrow. But, when you think about life in general, we have no guarantee in life.....not even a one day guarantee. At some point each person reading this will make the final journey to end life. NO one likes to think about it, but we must all face that at some point. I mentioned Elmwood Cemetery in yesterday's post. One day I noticed just how full the cemetery is and thought about how at some point there will be no more cemetery lots to purchase. Someone told me that the Sweetwater/Sugar Grove cemetery has no lots for sale.....the only ones now being buried there are those with existing lots. That's frightening that at some point future Greenviewanites will not be able to purchase a cemetery lot....unless the board buys new land.....and let's hope that is the case. And on to my next thought....

Hauntings.....
Do you believe in ghosts, apparitions, paranormal and similar. Some do believe and some don't. I personally do and know that at one of my homes a spirit occupied the house with us. In fact, I hired a psychic to come to the house and the moment she walked in she said, there is a main spirit here.....not a mean one but there are also others. I knew it.....and perhaps you don't believe and think this is all bunk, but it really happened. Now I wouldn't ever force my beliefs on anyone but there are many who believe in the unknown so I decided to bring this subject up. For those of you who believe, the Springfield home of Abraham Lincoln is supposedly haunted. I'm enclosing a link so that you can investigate if you're interested. Happy Haunting!













Yearbook Review




This morning I'm reviewing a 1960 yearbook. It's fun to look through the pages and see those who were graduating at that time. Don Beatty was the superintendent with Richmond Thayer as the assistant superintendent. The famous Gary White was the band instructor.....I remember the wonderful band concerts which were attended by persons from many miles away because word traveled fast that the Greenview band was the best in the land!








Wow Don Gideon was the coach....I didn't know he had been at the school so many years before he led the 1967 basketball team to district, regional, and an almost state title.....remember the Chicago Tribune's article relative to the 1967 team.... called us and the remaining teams David and Goliath. I used to babysit for Don's kids. Then he left Greenview and went to live in Mason City and tragedy began for that family. Don Gideon as I remember, pulled off the road and suffered a massive heart attack and died. Then Mark was on a tractor which overturned resulting in his death. Within the last couple of years I had the opportunity to reaquaint with Gaileh.....she still lives in Mason City. We had many good hours of remembering the days I babysat for her family.








Looking through the yearbook graduates of 1960, I see some faces I know. Gary Biggs is my neighbor; David Clemens is my husband's cousin as was Allen Behrens who has since died; Larry Lyons still lives and farms out north of town; Carolyn Dennis Miller still lives in Greenview; Bob Ratliff lives on the Curtis blacktop and does wonderful car repairs and restorations. There are faces which did live here but have since died.....John Evers and Gail Miller...there could be others but these are all I know.








The advertisers bring back a bunch of memories......I don't see any which are still in existence. Some of the businesses which advertised are: Rodemer's Department Store (Cynthia always said everything wore like iron); Meehan Pool Hall ( I spent many hours playing pool here); Tripp Brothers (an icon in our city and Virgie still lives in Greenview and seems to be doing well); Whit Stone Drugs; West Food Store; Johnson & Denton Store; K & K Royal Blue Store; Dr. Beard Veterinarian; Merrihew Insurance; Conkling Barber Shop; The Greenview Review; Cramer Implement; Al Setzer Standard Oil truck; Don Lockhart Sweney Oil Truck; Allison Grain Elevator; Cramer-Smothers Auto and Machinery; Corner Cafe; Dale Edwards FS Oil Truck; Dr. Paulaskis; Blanche Hill Beauty Shop; Schoeneweiss Insurance; Hinrichs Chevy Dealer; Zeitler Feed and Fertilizer; Harold Baugher Implement; Thayer Two Way Radio; Ennis and Son Funeral Home; Lowe's Standard Station; Bill Davision Bulldozer; and even though the business wasn't located here, who could forget Malerich and Son Cleaners which picked up and delivered our clean clothes.








The grade school teachers are those I remember the best in 1960.....Floe Johnson and Mary Dullenty for 1st grade; Ethel DeHart and Juanita Johnson for 2nd grade;


Esther Tholen for 3rd grade (I remember her in third grade in the old grade school basement and she broke a paddle over a classmate's behind (no names mentioned); Eva Wilson and Bernice Brake for 4th grade; Dulcena Dirks and Beulah Smothers for 5th grade; Agnes Ingham for 6th grade. I had many of these same teachers....and I learned a lot too!!






What a hoot thinking about these olden days. It seems like only yesterday yet it's been a half century....don't tell anyone I'm this old ..... Please!!








My brother and I do a lot of history recall for Greenview. He has done massive amounts of research and I just putter. When Greenview had the Sesquicentennial we worked jointly to make sure the historical side was a hit......I loved putting together the museum which housed many items of historical value. I only wish we had a permanent museum. My brother has several books on Greenview families which he has put together and are stored in the Athens Library's Special Collection Room. Of course there are other books on just general village information too at the library. If you are ever in the vicinity, the Special Collections Room is always open on Tuesdays and they will be glad to let you poke around in the Greenview info. It's interesting!








What's For Dinner At Our House Tonight?




Tonight we are having pork chops which have been lightly floured and browned in a tiny bit of olive oil (I pound the chops first with my meat mallet and then salt and pepper the chops before dusting with flour). I use and electric skillet and after browning, I sop out the olive oil remaining and add two packages of packaged gravy. I prefer Chicken Gravy packages (and I buy these at Dollar General), which I just mix the water and the packaged mix in a bowl and don't heat it....just pour over the browned chops and it will thicken. I turn the dial to simmer and cook for about 80 to 90 minutes. Make some good old mashed potatoes, some green beans and jello. And tonight we're having some banana nut cookies which I baked yesterday. Heaven on a plate!








News Of A Move Of A Former Greenviewanite




I received a message from Fred Schouten. He taught in the school system from 1974 through 1978 so many of you might remember Fred. I personally didn't know him as I had already moved from Greenview, but my husband knew him. Yet, we have communicated through the last couple of years, so I feel I know him. He has indicated to me that he and his wife are moving to Florida......happy move to Fred. Be safe and best wishes for a good life in Florida. I will think of you when it's 35 below here with 25 inches of snow on the ground. He will keep in touch through this blog!








Thought For The Day:








Cherish Each Hour Of This Day




For It Can Never Return












I Shall Return Another Day....until then, be safe!




































6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With almost 40% of Americans electing cremation these days, and with the number increasing each year primarily because of the much lower cost, I wouldn't be too concerned about the cemeteries running out of space. That said, I did notice that Oakland Cemetery in Petersburg has expanded, which would be another option, I'd guess for Greenview?

Carla, I'm impressed with your organizational skills. We normally don't determine what we are having for supper/dinner until about 4:00 each day...or later!!

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

Ken....meal planning was important to me through my working years....the night before I took out the meat we were going to have the next night and put it in the the fridge....that way, I could go to work and I knew I hadn't forgotten to get something out of the freezer. It became a habit. Plus, I always go to the store with meal plans for the week....plus I always have quite a bit of stuff in the freezer and pantry .... I taught my kids that too.....so that if they ever got in a financial pinch, at least they would have food in the house. But when my grandkids come, I have to always go get more stuff....they eat tons and tons!!

chuckling....
Carla

Anonymous said...

Carla,

I guess we're spoiled as we can walk to a Trader Joes, a Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck) a Publix and a Kroger as well as umteen restaurants. ..if we had to drive like you do to a grocery store, we'd have to do a better job of planning our meals...one of the few advantages, I guess, of living in a large metro area...don't get me started on the disadvantages

Ken

Daryl said...

So sad that we didn't move into town until after all those businesses passed out of existence. We love it as-is, but it would have been great to see it humming along like you described.

Those pork chops sound great, too! :-)

Anonymous said...

Carla,

Ken sent me your blog access information, and I think it's wonderful you're posting Greenview news. Betty Fay was my connection to "back home" and I miss her terribly. Hope you continue to keep us up-to-date with the happenings, and you are feeling much better. I know you've been through a lot.

Thanks again.

Kathy Kearney

Anonymous said...

Kathy....my wonderful childhood friend. I also miss Betty so much....she was a beautiful person inside and out. I went through your fair city last October on the way to Biloxi.....this October we are going to Biloxi again....perhaps we could stop for a few minutes and get together for at least a cool glass of something. We will have our granddaughter with us....we are taking her to see New Orleans and the Gulf ... she will be on break from Riverton schools (they go all year round and get several breaks which are ideal for vacations through the year). Glad Ken sent your the link!!

Later my friend...
Carla