Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Lord Doth Provide But Not Enough

Where Is Everyone?
Wow.....I've lost readers again.  I have a way to watch the stats relative to how many persons are actually viewing my blog.  It's amazing.....very few.  The day I made the announcement in the Greenview, IL group, I had 78 persons who logged in and read the blog.  Each day it has gone down and for the last two days, I'm down to 4 persons.  That's depressing.  But the Lord doth provided me with the opportunity to rebirth this blog, so I must hope for better reader counts in the future.  Cometh my children, and read the dang blog!

I really do care about Greenview and the blog.  I follow some blogs and each day I go to those blogs and at least read the posts because I know how much time is involved with keeping up with posts.  I feel I owe the blogger that courtesy.  So help me out here!  If you know people who used to live in Greenview, or someone who just has an interest in Greenview, tell them my blog address.....and get them to read it each day!!  If you don't like something I'm posting and, thus don't want to read the blog, you need to tell me so I can omit that type of article or posting content.  It's important to me that the readers are happy and want to keep reading the blog.  But you have to read it to keep me going.

I try not to post controversial or politically related items so I don't offend anyone.  If you want me to post things like this, I surely can because I keep abreast of the current events.....but in the political arena.....there are democrats and republicans, and each with different views.  It's sometimes easiers to just avoid the subject so that no one's view is stomped in the ground, spit upon or otherwise torn apart.  My daddy once told me it's better to not discuss your personal views and beliefs on religion and politics....following his advice has kept me out of hot water more than once.

The only thing I will say relative to politics is I think Blago should have to get a haircut in prison.  Take something dear away from him.  (giggle)  Four governors indicted and convicted (Kerner, Walker, Ryan and Blagojevich....and don't forget that Stratton was indicted but aquitted).....our state must be the laughing stock in a lot of political conversations.  Now maybe the state can begin the clean-up and somehow claw our way out of the financial crisis.

Old Tyme Greenview


This is a picture of William Green who has been given credit for making the Greenview Land Company a viable entity.  Greenview was actually named for William Green, although he didn't live here .... he was from Talulla.

My family is the Montgomery family and I can note that my family was settled here long before the development of Greenview and in fact the family owned many of the acres of land where Greenview now stands.  The Greenview scrap book, indicates:  The Greenview Land Co. purchased 80 acres in Section 23 from Charles Montgomery for $8,560.00 and 80 acres for George Blane for $4,800.00 on September 5, 1857.  Mr. Montgomery was an astute businessman, receiving eleven times as much for the 80 acres as he had paid for a total of 160 acres he originally bought here." 

Greenview town site was placed in the least desired part as related to living conditions of the total 160 acres bought by the Land Company.  The ground was low, with ponds and soggy places where stagnant water bred mosquitos.  This must be why some basements get wet and soggy during rains.  Once the town was laid out and streets named, lots were sold.  In April 1858, John Wilkenson bought Block 26 for $380.00 for his hotel.  This block is now the site of the Marbold Bank, The Funeral Home, The old Chevy Dealership building and the houses on the south side of this block.  I don't know if the planned hotel was ever built on this block....haven't yet found a reference to that in the book.

Greenview went through some major changes over the years.  It was a thriving self-serving business community at one time, with the coal mines located out of town.  But over time, business failed, persons moved, coal mines closed, travel to the city became easier and faster.  All of these factors contributed to the loss of businesses and strength of the community.  It has now regressed to a mere shadow of what it once was.  More to come in future posts............

What's To Eat At Our House Tonight
Please don't laugh.  Tonight we're having hamburger helper.  Since a person only has to read the instructions on the box, I won't go into those.

But I will give you one of my favorite recipes instead.  This is for a flan cake.....and it is truly elegant.  I make this to take to places for which I want to show off my talents as a cook.  If you make this cake, plan to take it somewhere to get rid of it as it is so rich, you don't really need to sit and eat huge amounts of pieces of this cake!  Giggle.
Flan Cake
~Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
~Spray (metal) bundt pan heavily with Pam.
~Pour 1/4 cup ice cream caramel syrup in bottom of pan.
~Mix 1 yellow cake mix per directions on box.
~Pour on top of Caramel in bundt pan.


Mix in blender:
~4 eggs
~1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
~1 large can (15 oz) Evaporated Milk


~Pour over cake mix in Bundt pan.


~Cook in water bath for 1 hour in preheated oven (350).  Make sure you sit the bundt pan in a shallow pan with boiling water in the shallow pan. Invert the cake on a fancy cake plate. This is a wonderful cake to serve at holidays. Your guests will wonder how you made it.
 
Just Things
A reader has requested information on the whereabouts of Mike Downey, GHS Class of 1967.  Please comment if you know address of other contact info.
 
Thought For The Day
 
Hope is an awaking dream.
 
--Aristotle
 
Today is peaceful and clear.  Tomorrow may be the same....let's hope.  But, I believe the forecast for tomorrow is hot hot hot with 3 digit indices.  Icky heat!  For Saturday and Monday (July 4th) rain is again forecasted.  Let's all say a little prayer that the rain holds off on these two days so that families can enjoy the comradery which seems to exist on family outings.  If all else fails maybe we can try the "Void the Rain Dance".  Later...... 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla, are you sure that the mechanism that tracks your viewers isn't showing a total net viewership, ie 78...then 2 new viewers, then 4 more new viewers, etc.?

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

Carla,
DO NOT give up on posting your Blog. I enjoy reading it each day and I truly missed it when you stopped last year.
Keep on keeping on, friend. You give us something to learn (history of GV), something to think about and something to smile about, so keep it coming.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure Ken. I have a section called Stats which I use....it records viewers.....they do this because some people tie their blog to money making sponsors which pay the blogger for each review of the blog. I don't tie mine to anything. The day i posted that i was rebrithing, I put it on the Geenview Il group....so all of the members saw it....and based on the 78 count, lots went to look....they just didn't stay.....guess they are interested....which is ok, but when the numbers keep falling each day I got concerned. Maybe there is something wrong with the counter. Thanks for the positive comments. I'm not stopping the blog....just am concerned.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Carla, I notice that you can access local blogs from the Illinois J-R online...maybe you can get your blog included?

Ken Dirks