Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Last Tuesday Of The Month

I Feel Old This Morning
But I'm only one day older than yesterday.  For some reason, I feel stiff in the back, my head hurts, and I'm moving slowly for this age 39 that I'm stuck on.  Of course I've been here at this age level for a few years, so maybe I'm going to have to progress a bit towards the upper end of life.  I'll do that later I think.

This morning is a fine beautiful morning in the Land of Lincoln and specifically Greenview, Illinois.  The home of the heartland, and home to the Bulldogs.  The corn is really growing tall so it will beat that old saying "knee high by the 4th of July".  Even though we've have a lot of rain, the corn appears to be unscathed.....it's dark green and not yellow like it is down around the Waverly and Palmyra areas .... where too much rain appears to have really damaged the crops.  Our local farmers can be thankful for that .... of course it still might not be done raining around here....but we have a reprieve for today and I think tomorrow and then, Thursday, the forecast is islolated storms.  The temps are also reasonable with highs in the low 80's for today and tomorrow.  I love temps like this.

I haven't been to the village of Greenview in a couple of days, so I have no idea if anything is going on.  The police scanner has been quiet so no trouble is or has been brewing....at least that I know of.  Guess I'll have to take a run into town today from the country to assure myself the old town stands tall and proud. 

Today is just another day here at our house ..... I hope your day is one which will allow you to prosper, succeed in life or just make it through life with no problems. 

Gossip
The other day I reported that the Petersburg IGA was going to be taken over by County Market.  My source has since found out that the deal fell through because County Market thought the building was too small. 

The other day I reported that Karen Setzer was in the hospital .... it wasn't Karen, but it was her mother.  Best wishes for Karen's mother.  Just wanted to clarify this.

I heard that former Greenview Police Chief Dave Baker either had a heart attack or just about had one.  He is the Athens Police Chief and I hadn't heard him lately.  So I asked around and came up with the heart problem answer.  I know Dave has always worked out and ran miles.....as I've said before, we have no guarantee in life.  Best wishes to Dave.

Old Tyme Greenview School Stuff


This is a Greenview school certification of qualification for 1876.



This is the school in Greenview which was torn down in 1915.  It looked pretty good to me.


This was Union School in 1895.  Union school was somewhere out near Sweetwater area.  My husband's grandfather and great uncles and great aunts went to this school.  I found a couple of good pictures while I was doing research on my husband's family, the Clemens family.  Unfortunately, for some reason this blog won't let me upload any more pictures..... so I will upload more in the next post.


Other Old Tyme Greenview Stuff
I found this entry in one of the old town scrapbooks;
"April 25, 1975 - Greenview Band attained a Division One rating.  The State Contest was held in Havana.  Mr. Fred Schouten, the Greenview Band Director was very proud.  Both the Grade School Chorus and the highs School Chorus were given a first place rating....."

Note:  Fred Schouten is one of the readers of this blog.  I thought you might like to live the glory of the rating again Fred!

Other posts from the past:
"March 6, 1970 - The Bulldogs, our prize basketball team, won first place in the District Tournament held at Chandlerville last week."

"July, 1957 - Greenview is 100 years old, but our hearts and hands are young and eager to be helpful and neighborly.  Quoting from the Greenview Scrap Book written by my mother in 1940 - the following paragraph describes Greenview.  "Greenview is friend;y. jealous, mean, humorous, generous and natural.  We talk about friends about our friends, we have squabbles in the Church.  The younger generation is probably as wild as were were - but no wilder.  This village is renowned for its loyalty and good fellowship among its businessmen.  In case of sickness, trouble or death, we can depend on our neighbors to come in and help us, and sorrow with us when our loved ones leave us."

NOTE:  I believe the above post was written by Marie Bradley Ennis when she was compiling the second edition of the Greenview Scrap Book.  Most of it stands true to this day, however, Greenview has changed and not many of the true settler families still live in the town.  New faces have moved in and this is now their town too. 

Other Greenview Things
Ancestries:  German 33.9%; United States 17.3%; English 11.0%; Irish 9.5%; French 2.8%; Scottish 2.6%

Greenview historical tornado activity is slightly above the Illinois state average.  It's 156% greater than the overall United States average.  (Data from 2009)

What's for Tonight At Our House
Since my back hurts today, we are cleaning out the refrigerator.  It looks like Italian Beef again, but this was so good last night I can't wait until tonight's meal.  I'm going to make some cucumbers and onions in vinegar/sugar and have a nice lettuce salad with tomatoes, garlic, and cheese.

Thought For The Day

The possession of facts is knowledge,
the use of them is wisdom.


I value the readers of this blog.  And, I'm glad I recently decided to rebirth the blog.  It takes a lot of time to first of all, come to a decision of what to write, then write it, revise it a few times,  and finally the posting. Fortunately I have the gift of gab as well as the writing education so it comes easier to me than it would to most persons.   I guess if I make one person smile or remember something, I have done something worthwhile.  Writing this also gives me something to do and keep the uges to nap and grow old at bay.  To do something with one's life keeps us young and alert and keeps the creepie crawlies away from our doors.  Have a good day...time for a nap.  HA HA HA






"





No comments: