Monday, June 11, 2012

Being Old and Not Liking It

Ya say you're stiff....ha ha ha .... you're old maybe.

I'm so tired of getting up from bed or just up from the sofa and feeling joint pain.  It seems that my body screams.....but I suddenly realize it's not my body screaming, it's me, from the dang pain I'm going through just from getting up.  Is this happening to everyone in this small town?  Is it peculiar to small town life?  (ie nothing much to do, except for sitting around)

Another pain every morning has become my motto in the last few years.  Apparently when the pains start coming to a person, it's a warning to that person that the "official old age era" has hit!!  And I sure don't like it.  It seems mine gets worse every day, not just worse each year.....so does that mean I'm aging by the day I would ask???  But, of course, when I ask that question, no one answers me, so I guess I must form my own conclusions.....and the answer to my question is.....h*ll yes you're getting older by the day.....and you're a dummy if you think otherwise.  My reponse to that is....ok wise-arse......I was just asking.

So here I sit for hours at a time at my computer, with my knees stiffening with each hour I sit here.  SO...... my cure for that is..... not to give up my precious computer which has almost become a part of my body, but instead to stand in front of my computer for half the time I'm on it....at least my unhealthy knees and butt which is getting bigger and bigger from sitting so much, will not be so abused.  Amen.

Old Springfield


Entrance to Camp Lincoln, Springfield, 1910


Chicago & Midland Locomotive 2007
Springfield, 1950's



CIPS ice delivery truck early 1900's,
Springfield



Demolition of the old City Hall, Springfield,
7th and Monroe, June 28, 1961



Old City Hall, Springfield, 7th & Monroe 1908




Lamplighter Motel out by the Lake Springfield bridge
Parts of this still stand and are used as apartments.


Quote For The Day

A sence of humor is a part of
the art of leadership, getting along
with people, of getting things done.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

How many nicknames do you have?  I have lots, and, most peeps probably do.  My most common nickname is "hey you"!  When people yell "hey you", I just know they are talking to me so I stop and listen to the important message they have for me.  Usually it's more in the form of a revised version of sign language....I call it "finger language" for sure, but for the most part when they yell "hey you" I get the "sign language one finger message".

Of course "hey you" isn't my only nickname.  I was once called "Boob" by an old neighbor who was straight from the hills of Kentucky.  That nickname stuck with me even after she moved back to Kentucky, and, when I once drove down to Kentucky to visit her, her first word when she saw me was "Boob".  God rest her soul for sure.

Curly Rae was another nickname.....as a child an old German neighbor's son used to visit our house often.  He loved my long natuarally curly hair (long gone) and he knew my middle name was Rae so it just stuck.  And at least one of my siblings, still calls me that name.

Carly has always been a nickname....through school, and in my working days, Carly stuck. 

Once I started doing history research and writing this blog, a nickname fell upon my head....."trailer park humorist".  That has stuck and I've made several references to this nickname, but.....I'm still trying to discover what the heck is a "trailer park humorist"???? 

 In addition to all of the above, I've been referred many times to being a "history buff", "car enthusiast", "witch" (and similar with one letter changed), "jerk", "idiot", "sicko", "pyscho", "betty crocker", "doll", "doll lady", "mama", "mom", "mother", "mamalama", "grandma", "grammie", "gram" and "honey".....those are the ones I can quickly recall.

Let me tell you.....I have so many nicknames, I can hardly remember my real name.  And, I sure don't know which of the nicknames best suits me.....I guess it depends upon the occasion and the interaction with a person.

So for now, I will sign off.....as the trailer park humorist.  Simply because I'm fascinated with this misnomer (??? maybe or maybe not).  Adios!



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(all rights reserved....all content)

Please come again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember a C&IM steam locomotive like the one in the picture pulling a train through Petersburg...I think they got rid of the steam engines in the mid-1950's

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

I remember old locomotives looking like this too. Carla