Thursday, July 26, 2012

Escaping OZ

Winkety, Dinkety, Donkety - Where is That Road?

If you've been to OZ lately, you know that the Munchkins are jumpy and the Wicked Witch of the West is still flying high on her broom.  I think Toto started barking and the Cowardly Lion roared a couple of times and all of this commotion started the Winged Monkeys flying up at the West Witch's castle.  She didn't like that at all.

I always wondered if OZ really existed or was it simply a fairy tale in a children's book.  But when I saw those Winged Monkeys flying outside my house the other day, I knew OZ really exists. I was afraid that the Wicked Witch of the West was not far behind her beloved pet Winged Monkeys.

 Knowing that if a person takes magic and other supernatural occurrences completely for granted can get one into a world of trouble, I have been on my guard and looking for a way to escape OZ if one of those Winged Monkeys gets their claws into me.  I don't have a lot of fairy friends around this neck of the woods, so I have to depend upon my own cunning thoughts and wisdoms to find the perfect OZ escape plan.  Maybe if I make a few calls, I could find Mother Goose.  I just know she would help be escape if she knew I'd been taken.  Her peck is much worse than her bite, believe me.

Somehow I think if I could find a pair of flashy red shoes like Dorothy had I could just walk out of OZ.  But, of course, I would have to find the Yellow Brick Road.  And, I bet that isn't easy in the land of OZ.  Especially when there are a bunch of Munchkins on the road everyday while they are gathering mushrooms for their supper.  This crowd of Munchkins probably cover up the yellow bricks.

Pretty soon I'm going to go out and look for the beginning of the yellow brick road.  Surely somewhere around here the road has a beginning or am I looking for the end of the road.  Now I have to think about that for a while.  Do I have to start at the beginning or the end?  Help me....I'm stranded.

Lincoln's New Salem

The following is a passage from a book I recently bought.  The book is a 1934 version and is named "Lincoln's New Salem".  The author was Benjamin Thomas and as he wrote this book, he was in contact with various persons who were Lincoln scholars.  He also referred to many documented histories to allow him to write a book which was close to the actual happenings from Lincoln's life.

"One day in late April, 1831, a crowd gathered on the river bank near the New Salem mill.  There were watching four men who were working over a flatboat that had stranded on the dam.  The men had tried to float the boat over the dam; but halfway across it had stuck.  Now, with its bow raised in the air and shipping water at the stern, it was in danger of sinking.

One of the crew, a long, ungainly looking individual, took charge.  He was dressed in a "pair of blue jeans trousers indefinitely rolled up, a cotton shirt, striped white and blue, and a buckeye chip hat for which a demand of twelve and a half cents would have been exorbitant.  Under his direction the cargo in the sstern was unloaded until the weight of the cargo in the bow caused the boat to right itself.  The young man then went ashore, borrowed an auger at Onstot's cooper shop, bored a hole in the bow and let the water run out.  He then plugged the hole and the boat, with lightened cargo,
was eased over the dam.

Poling the flatboat over to the bank, the crew came ashore, where the onlookers congratulated them.  The owner of the boat introduced himself as Denton Offut.  The others were John Hanks, John Johnston and "Abe" Lincoln.  The latter was the ungainly youth who had directed operation, and the villagers looked at him with interest.  Well over six feet tall, lean and gangling, raw-boned and with coarsened hands, he was a typical youth of the American frontier.  He had been born in Kentucky, and had lived there seven years.  Then he had gone with his parents to Indiana where they lived for fourteen years.  About a year ago they had moved to Macon County, Illinois.  He was now twenty two.  Johnston was his step-brother and Hanks was cousin.  Offut had hired them to take the flatboat to New Orleans."

Quote For The Day
Desire is individual.  Happiness is common.

--Julian Casablancas


If pigs could fly I would buy a few and resell them.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who want to buy a flying pig.  Of course if I could fly, I wouldn't have to buy an airline ticket....which incidentally are very expensive these days.  But what isn't!!!

I can just see me with wings, flapping through the sky with my heavy bottom hanging lower than the top half.  And I would always have to wear my frog pajamas as my flight suit.  That frog on the front could wear a blinking light on his nose, just like Rudolph.

Speaking of Rudolph, it's now time for Christmas in July.  Time to get out the Christmas decorations and decorate your house for the holiday season in July.  Why not do it just to be doing it!  There's not a whole lot of other things a person can do when it's hot and humid.  It ain't raining and the ground looks about as brown as it does in December, so from up above Santa sees all this brown grass and will start delivering presents because he thinks it's Christmas in December.  I hope he comes to my house.  I want a new pair of froggy pajamas.


Thanks for coming to my blog.
(all rights protected on posts and content in this blog)

Hope to see you again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A. Lincoln was the only U.S. President to hold a patent. He invented a device used to dislodge a stuck boat. He never made any money on it, but at least he has another entry in history with his name on it.

Rick Setzer

doll lady said...

Thanks Rick for adding that knowledge. Abe was a very smart man and our local county will forever be known for him living here.

Carla