Monday, July 2, 2012

MONOSYLLABIC...WHAT???

Monosyllabic is not my most important word.

Long ago I learned the word "monosyllabic" and the meaning.  Before that, I could have cared less, because I didn't even know it was a word, and definitley didn't know what it meant.

Since I looked this word up in the dictionary, I know that monosyllabic words are one syllable words.  I thought it would be fun to try to find the longest monsyllabic word in our language but when I set out to do that, others had already thought of that so that took the fun out of it -- dang it.  But I still did searches and kept finding sites with different guesses as to the longest monosyllable word.

The word squirrelled is sometimes thought of as the longest word, but it has to be pronounced as one syllable and not a two  syllable word as some pronouce it.  Wow .... eleven letters is a big mouth full.  Onward to more words and then I found a few ten letter words......schmaltzed and strengthed are two examples.  But surely there are more words!!

In my search for more words, I ran across some really cool two syllable words, which are called disyllabic words.  The two I found were:  scratchedbrushed (14 letters) and breakthoughs (13 letters).

Then I found a twelve letter monosyllabic word..... "schtroumpfed".  What the heck is this word?  The French word for Smurfs is schtroumpfed....so some poets and writes started putting an "ed" on this french word and now it's considered a word which can be used in the English language and writers use it .... weird! 

Later on I found a few more monosyllabic words with ten letters.....scroonched, scraunched, schwartzed, schnappsed, and broughamed.  Funky words if you ask me....I don't use these in my everyday languge but, if I want to show off a bit, I might start using these long monosyllabic words.  People will probably think I've flipped my ever loving lid....but I do like to shock peeps.

Now I will take my new monosyllibic list and do with it whatever I feel like.  If you see me using words from this list, you will know that I'm speechless and using just anything to write about.


Greenview At Its Best
(direct quotes and text taken from the Women's Club documentation of December 3, 1818 - 1968 to celebrate the Illlinois Sesquicentennial - 150 birthday of the state)

"H. H. Marbold took an important part in getting th efarming scetion settled with reliable thrifty men, may of them from Germany.  These men and their descendants have been a decided asset to the Greenview community -- Kaiser, Deverman, Koester, Kemper, Busch, Boske, Dirks, Onken, Myers, Keest, Amerkamp, Dencker, Eggers, Hagney, Miller, Milken, Winkleman, Wilhelm, Simmering, Evers, Weidhuner, Elstrodt.

An interesting feature o fthese peoples was the "Cookie Corner" in the German Evangelical Church.  Mothers sat with the very young inthe back section of the church, letting the little ones feast on sugar cookies to keep them quiet.  Also, the custom of men sitting on one side of the church was a customn carried over from Germany.

Education was a luxury for these early German families.  Few of the young people were allowed to complete elementary school, and any high school education was attained only by those who could be spared from the work of the farm.  The young boys were expected to do their share of the chores  besides husking corn or plowig and planting before and after school hours.  During the busiest seasons, they had to stay out of school to help, and, because it was very difficult to keep up with studies, they often dropped out of shcool.  A school wichi served many of these families was Salt Creek school, located in the heart of one of the German communities."

NOTE:  I received this documentation from my grammie and I don't think many have this actual story.  Perhaps at a later date  I'll quote some more of this really good documentation of the town's history. 

Upcoming Important Greenview Event

Many of my readers will remember one of our Greenview residents Daisy Duncan.  As you know, she was a kind hearted woman who always had a smile on her face.  Since 2004 there has been an annual Golf Classic, called Daisy's Angels Golf Classic.  This event raises money to provide back-to-school supplies, backpacks, and clothing for area children who might not otherwise have these as well as Christmas gifts for Daisy's Christmas Angels.  What a worthwhile event to have in this village.
Please see the link below and plan on participating in this golf classic on July 23, 2012.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Corrected-9th-Annual-Daisy-s-Angels-in-the-Fairway-Registration-Only.html?soid=1104030179732&aid=efCI59hGAKw

Quote For The Day

God is a comedian playing
to an audience too afraid to laugh.
--Voltaire


Wow....I can't believe how much I use my computer.  I'm wearing it out.  And, that's not counting how much electricity I use to plug the dang thing in, plus when I burn the late night oil doing posts on this blog all of the electricity I use.  I think I've told you before that I think I'm the unpaid human relations and  media communication officer for the village of Greenview. 

Perhaps I should just send the village a bill that says.....Dear Village Board:  If you want me to continue to post past history events and some of the important upcoming events of the village, please send me money so I can buy a new computer and pay my electricity bill.  All money will be appreciated since I do a really fine job of talking past and future trailer park trash about the village.  But, if you don't see fit to send me that money, I will continue to post mediocre things and every once in a while I will put something nice (??) about the village board, but that article might be slanted if  you don't give me any money towards a new computer and my electricity.  Cordially yours (unless you don't send me money and then this changes to "I'm ticked off"),  Signed:  The Trailer Park Trash Talk Queen Of Words.




Thanks for coming to my blog.
(this blog and the content of all posts is copyright material...don't copy!!!!)

In view of the busy summer, I have been posting two times weekly and sometimes and extra picture or joke only post.  This has certainly lessened my summertime work load.  I appreciate your continued following even though I have cut the number of posts.  The number of readers has greatly increased and I personally want to thank you for the all time record number of views.

Hope to see you again!!!!

No comments: