Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's Up in G'view...not a thing on 09-16-09

I know you will be surprised, but there's nothing going on in Greenview....at least nothing anyone will tell me or anything that I can report beyond a theft, speeding tickets, etc. Maybe tomorrow will be a better news day.





THE FACEBOOK GROUP ENTITLED: GREENVIEW, IL is waiting for you to visit. Some of us Greenviewanites have been having some good old conversations on that site. Talking about days of old. Just join facebook and come on over to the group called "Greenview, IL". I just told those people over there in the Greenview, IL group about how the fish stories get bigger and so do the noses of the storyteller ..... you should see some of the noses on Greenview people...they are about 10 inches long from all of the storytelling.





ROUTE 29 IS GOING TO BE RESURFACED. THAT MAKES ME HAPPY AS IT WAS ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH! THE MACHINES ARE OUT NORTH OF TOWN AS THIS IS PUBLISHED.





IF YOU HAVE NEED FOR SOME GOOD OLD PIANO MUSIC AT A FUNCTION, CONTACT MARK VINCENT. HIS CONTACT INFO IS ON THE GREENVIEW, IL FACEBOOK GROUP.





DON'T FORGET HARVEST FEST IN PETERSBURG THIS WEEKEND. Show your support of county businesses. Be sure to go see Betty Ratliff Winchester at Estep & Associates Mercantile ..... tickets for the drawing for a 50 inch plasma HD television are on sale....$5.00 each or 6 for $25.00. See Betty at Esteps for your tickets. And don't forget the firemen's drawing for a peddle car.





OLD MENARD COUNTY COOKBOOK RECIPE


When I was growing up, I remember going to my great-grandma's house for Christmas Dinner. My Aunt Marie always made Date Pudding with Hard Sauce. I have her recipe someplace, but after looking at the Date Pudding recipe in the old Menard County recipe book, I think it is about the same. I plan to make this at Christmas .... just because it's sentimental....but the best reason is because it is so good.





DATE PUDDING


1 cup sugar

1 cup boiling water


2 beaten egg yolks

1 lb. dates, chopped small


1 tsp soda

1 cup flour


1 cut nutmeats

2 beaten egg whites


2 tablspns melted butter

1 tsp vanilla extract


Cream the sugar and butter, add beaten egg yolks and beat well. Add soda to hot water and pour over dates and stir well, then let cool. After cooling add to creamed mixture. Mix in flour and nutmeats and vanilla, then fold in the beaten egg whites.


Bake in a moderate oven (my guess is around 350). Serve cooled & don't remove from pan until served.





HARD SAUCE


1 1/2 cups brown sugar


1 cup cream


2 eggs, well beaten


1/2 cup dates chopped fine


1/4 cup Irish Whiskey or Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey or whatever...or omit but it's great with it!!


Cook all together (except whiskey) until thickened, stirring constantly. Add the whiskey after removing from the heat. Put the hard sauce on each piece as served and top with real, sweetened whipped cream. Shake the sauce a few times before serving. Note from me: Get fat and be happy!! Another childhood memory for me.





I LOVE TO TELL THE STORY ...


Some of you might remember the old gospel song called "I Love To Tell The Story". I remember it so well from my childhood days while sitting in the Presbyterian Church pew. As I write this news blog everyday, I recall that song. I'm actually telling the story of Greenview .... the past, the current or the future. It's our past and future. Greenview's story will remain with us as long as we are alive because we are a part of it.





Think of that song as you go through life. Don't be afraid to tell the story of Jesus and don't be afraid to tell the story of your life in Greenview. I am currently finishing my life story of growing up in Greenview, and some of you are a part of that story. A life's story....here and now, to pass on to my family and the annals of history.





Here's Emmy Lou Harris's guitar site with the words of this wonderful song. Play it, sing it and remember it!


http://www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com/ilovetotellthestorylyricschords.html







Greenview Early 1900's

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carla,

Does anyone still call Route 29, "the hard road"?

Ken Dirks
Marietta, GA

Anonymous said...

Ken....many of the old folks....and I have been guilty of calling Route 29, the hard road. I think that was a term which was used before the term Highway.

Thanks for commenting. At least I know some people are visiting the blog site.

carla