Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fare-thee-well To Snot's The Case

Did I really say that?

Yes I said it.  Fare-thee-well snot's the case.  I had snot for several days and now I don't.  Simple and clear cut. 

Having that snot build-up in your nose ain't funny at all.  If I were a bit younger and needed birth control (heaven forbid - at my age - don't even think of that crap) that snot in the nose would surely be a great method of birth control.   And at no cost too!   No one, and I repeat, no one wants to get within a long pole from a snot nose.  Even a beautiful snot nose would be subject to that long distance.  I was indeed spreading the snot around.

Leaving my body alone was one thing I wanted.   I was praying to the snot Gods.  Please Snot Gods, make the snot leave and don't come back.

And during that time, I had reason to invest in the Puff's corporation. It was horrible and one time I couldn't find my favorite Puff box design.  How depressing to have snot's the case and not being able to even buy the right box design.   Those Puff tissues are supposedly so soft because they are made of virgin wood pulp and not recycled.  But believe me ... by the time the snot Gods granted my wish for snot removal, my nose felt like the Puff's corporation had filled their boxes with pieces of virgin wood....splinters and all.  Proctor and Gamble made sure that the Puffy Puffs went hard instead of soft!  Wonder how they did that?  Unless they were using recycled tissues to make Puff's.  Oh Icky! 

So let this be a warning.  Be prepared for lots of Snot's the Case this season.  It's going around.  And get out your prayers for the Snot Gods.  You're gonna need those prayers.


Old Salem - Petersburg Chautauqua

Around 1909 Old Salem/Chautauqua was a thriving city of 4,000 to 5,000 campers, in tents, cottages or the summer hotel.   There was one article which says it drew 100,000 at its peak. I think this means during summer festival time.   This Chautauqua was a gathering of those who sought to worship with others in a jovial and relaxing and fun atmosphere.   Chautauqua was one in the state which attracted persons from all of the Midwest, including other states and even from Chicago.  Entertainment was high quality and most from different states.  It has been said that this particular Chautauqua was one of the most popular in the nation of Chautauqua facilities.

Lectures, orations, medical demonstrations, music, prayers, vespers, baseball games, craft education, worship services all were a part of the celebration which sometimes lasted up to two weeks at a time.  This particular Chautauqua was popular because of the grounds and available amenities.    There were nine different church buildings for different denominations for worship and social gatherings. This all was located on the banks of the Sangamon River which was ever so popular to attendees.  I have several photographs of the village in 1909.  I was surprised that there was even an enclosed 65 foot long swimming pool with a depth of 2 feet up to 5.5 feet deep which was billed as being artificially heated with filtered softened water.   The bath house had twelve tubs and six shower baths and lots of dressing rooms....a shower, or tub bath was just 25 cents.

And a huge hotel was also on the grounds, as well as ground area for tents and there were cottages for rent.  Tent space was cheap to rent and you could even rent a tent.

I remember seeing the buildings at the Chautauqua grounds when I was young but I didn't know what these buildings were used for.  Many of the cottages at that time were owned by local persons and used as a summer or weekend cottage. 

The Chautauqua Committee was the group which owned New Salem and rebuilt it and eventually deeded it over to the State of Illinois.  A media mogul named William Hearst bought the bare ground where New Salem once stood and gave it to the Chautauqua committee in the early 1900's.  The Association started their recreation of the village in 1918.  The original owner, Mr. Hearst,  wanted to make sure that any resulting park would always remain free of charge.  Mr. Homer Tice was the president of the Chautauqua Association in 1909.

It is certainly too bad that this Chautauqua and those like it didn't survive through the years.  Perhaps the world would have been better had that happened.

Photos...you can click on photos to get an enlarged view.  Please don't copy my Chautauqua information or photos.  I present history information for the sake of history preservation and not to make a profit.  I purchase a lot of county wide history information and that same or similar information is available to you to purchase for your own use.

 
A reception while at Chautauqua
 
 
 
 
The headquarters at Chautauqua and a reception held there.
 
 
 
Jenison Hall for Applied Christianity (note John Jenison was a resident of Greenview in the early years)
 
 
 
 
Jenison Lodge
 
 
 
 
The Old Hotel at Chautauqua which was called
"Old Salem Hotel".  It had electricity and had rooms, a dining hall, and a lunch counter.  The cost, with one person in the room was $1.00; with two or more persons in the room the cost was 75 cents each person.  The dining hall could seat 300 at one time with the cost of the meal at 35 cents or a meal ticket could be purchase for 10 meals at $3.00.
 
 
 
The swimming pool and the bath house were housed in this building which was billed as being on the highest hill within the Chautauqua grounds.
 

 
I have other photos and a lot more information about the Old Chautauqua.  I will soon post another segment of this wonderful old place which provided much enjoyment and relaxation to thousands of persons.  Perhaps your and my relatives were frequent visitors to the grounds.  Let's hope so since rural life was hard to cope with and any enjoyment would have been a welcome relief.
 
Please tell me in the comments section about what you remember about Old Chautauqua.  You may have had a cottage or played there or went to camp there.  I know my uncle and aunt had a cottage and also a few sets of family friends, so we went there often for relaxation but there was no organization of events at that time.
 


Thanks for coming to my blog.
All rights reserved.
 
Hope to see you again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad is trying to find more info about Chautauqua. We live here. Could you please give me more info. Thank you

Anonymous said...

air jordan
off white
off white hoodie
nike sb
supreme
curry shoes
bape clothing
off white
fear of god clothing
jordan retro