Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Faretheewell

Faretheewell.......

Gotcha!  I bet you were thinking I was telling you faretheewell for good.  Excuse me but that's farewell.

But right now I will use Faretheewell as a kind of goodbye.

Faretheewell to the month of October.  It's been here and now it's gone.  It was here today and gone tomorrow kind of thing.   The goblins got it and chawed it up and spit it out because October really is a boring month!  What exactly goes on in October, to be excited about??? Oh I know....the trees start turning their beautiful colors of red and gold and are on the trees for a couple of days and then turn brown and fall down.  This means you must fit your tender little hands around a rake handle (no, do not fly away on it either).  Rake 'em up my friend.  Until your hand has big oozing blisters because you can't find a pair of gloves that fit or maybe can find only two left handed gloves and you are right handed.  Faretheewell to October.

Faretheewell to the d*mn fox who lives in the woods behind our house.  That little sucker does those vixen calls at all hours of the night and sounds like a woman in labor.  I thought foxes only did those vixen calls during mating season.  Apparently the foxes around here must be horny little dudes cause the wild vixen calls had been ringing loud and true but, at least for the last month, we haven't heard them.  Thank goodness and faretheewell.

Faretheewell to the big sagging butt.  I'm trying to lose it, but the word O L D keeps coming back to haunt me.  The older you get the harder it is to do anything.  So...maybe sagging butt is beautiful but if it does leave me, faretheewell.

Faretheewell to my next birthday.  I absolutely decided that I've had enough of those dang things.  What good are birthdays anyway??   All they do at this age, is get you closer to a permanent home out in Elmwood cemetery.  Yep, that place is waiting but for crying our loud, if those birthdays stop, maybe I can hold off going to the big place.  Thus....no more birthdays please and thank you and so long birthdays....find another sucker.

Faretheewell to the dang white tail deer around here.  I would love for the government to enact a Deer Be Gone law today.  That law should say that if a white tail deer appears in front of you, hit him, knife him, shoot him, spit on him, poke him in the eye,  throw paper wads at him,  pepper spray him,  hog tie him or any other thing that will get rid of them.  Right now it's "dodge deer time".....just like the old dodge ball game.  You can't go anywhere without seeing a deer cross the road.  Sure those deer go through Rutting stages and like the foxes, they are looking for a hot doe.  And, wouldn't you know it, the rutting moon came in October 29 this year, so these dang deer already have a lot of really hot testosterone running in their veins.  Those hot does are doing it doncha know.  So lets get rid of of the dang deer......Faretheewell - I wish!

Farethewell....well dang I looked up the meaning and it means a "state of perfection."  Well dang it I used it wrong.  But I just coined my meaning.....and I can use any word I want, any way I want....so there.  I ain't rewriting this post .....


Old Time Stuff I Remember

Just the other day I did a "I remember about Smitty's tavern, so why not do one on the "lower tavern".  I used to go in there too.  You might get the impression I spent a lot of time in the taverns....I really didn't, but when I did go in the taverns, they made a big impression on me.  The smell, the fights, the bar stools, and whatever.  And, when I was a kid I was my dad's shadow....where he went, I went.  So if he went to the tavern, so did I.  I didn't become a drinker per se so, I guess it didn't do much harm.

The lower tavern was north on the main street which went down the center of the downtown area.  It was located just south of the old red building which was what we used to call the old hotel, which actually was the Bracken building in the founding days of the town. 

During my youth, Gene and Marie Steinmetz owned the tavern.  This couple shared the duties of running the tavern.  They were a fun loving couple and were family friends.  Gene and Marie lived in the building to the immediate north of their tavern.  Their residence building was a narrow little building and had a big window in the front with long gold colored curtains which completely blocked out an outsider's view of their living quarters.  Marie always left a light on behind the curtains.

I actually didn't go into this tavern as much as Smitty's as this tavern was known for its fights and wild and loud talk.  And Gene, as well as Marie, put up with much more than what Smitty did when it came to letting the peeps who drank too much stay and drink more.  In fact, and to document history, one time my dad got hit with a beer bottle in the lower tavern because a man by the name of Asa H. was mad at my dad.  My dad was simply sitting on a stool having a beer.  This man hollered at him and my dad turned around and this Asa guy hit my dad on the cheek bone with the bottle, and then turned and hit the bottle on the bar to break the bottle and came towards my dad to cut his throat.  My dad was still dazed and couldn't defend himself.  Other men in the tavern grabbed this Asa fellow and held him until the Constable came.  He went to jail.  And, if I remember right, this was over a cattle deal which fell through.  I think this Asa guy might have run a meat market and wanted to buy cattle to butcher and a deal just couldn't be made.  Shows you what drinking too much does for a person.  Needless to say my dad had a huge goose egg and a severely black eye for a long time.

In the mid-1960's Gene and Marie sold to the tavern to Gene Banister.  He bought it for  his wife Louise to run while he was working as a truck driver in Michigan.  Not long ago I talked to Gene Banister and, he told me he paid $13,000 for the tavern but didn't buy the residence next door.  Gene and Marie Steinmetz continued to live in that building.

Gene  Banister also told me that he thought that Gene Steinmetz was from another state, but he thought Marie  originally was from Waverly.  Gene B. also said he thought that Gene Steinmetz bought this lower tavern from Jim Gilmore from Petersburg, but Gene B. didn't know a date.  Gene Banister said he eventually sold his lower tavern to a man from Springfield but couldn't remember his name.  He said that Baugher's eventually bought the property as well as the living quarters to use the land as a storage area for their implements.

I haven't been able to find any photos of this place but maybe one day I will.  In the mid 1980's we bought a river cabin down by Altig Bridge from Gene and Marie Steinmetz and had some good old times there.  We used to invite them out to have breakfast cooked over a wood fire.  We would talk about the old days.  After Gene Steinmetz died in 1987, Marie lived in Athens and we occasionally visited with her.  She was a character believe me!  She died in 2011. 

 This picture shows Marie in her later years. 
     




Quote For The Day
The cure for boredom is curiosity.
There is no cure for curiosity.
--Dorothy Parker


If you really want to have a good time, get out your dictionary and look up words.  The longer the word, the funnier it is.  Take for instance the word
"fibbertigibbet".  That word is a long word and it's funny to boot.  I bet my last quarter that you didn't even know that was a word....did you????

Well it means a whimsical person.  And when you look it up, you might see my picture.  But of course, it you do, you must cut out that picture and put it inside your cabinet to run the gremlins and rodents out of your cabinets.  Now don't you wish I hadn't whisked that word "fibbertigibbet" upon you??!!


 
 
Thanks for coming to my blog.
All rights reserved on all blog content.
 
Happy Halloween

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I leave a leave a response when I especially enjoy a article on
a site or I have something to contribute to the discussion.
It is triggered by the sincerness displayed in the article I read.
And after this post "Faretheewell". I was actually excited enough to post a thought ;
) I actually do have 2 questions for you if you usually
do not mind. Could it be just me or do some of the responses look as if they are left by brain
dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional social
sites, I would like to follow everything new you have
to post. Could you list every one of your communal pages like your twitter feed, Facebook
page or linkedin profile?

My blog post; http://www.para-agrandar-el-pene.es/

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog right here! Also your website so much up very
fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I get your associate link on your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Here is my blog :: tamanho penis