Thursday, October 20, 2011

Are You An Oompa Loompa?

I think I fit the definition!

The definition of a Oompa Loompa is that you are from Loompaland, usually tending towards tendencies of small size, an orange complexion, and green hair.  They are also frisky and wear funny mismatched clothes with different colored stripes and like Willy Wonka chocolate bars.  Yes that sounds like me a couple of months ago.  I'd used some fake tanning gel and I looked rather orange.  That was about the same time that I used some hair color and to me my hair looked like it had a green tint.

Being of short stature, and a bit rotund, I referred to myself as a Oompa Loompa.  A lumpy oompa loompa and especially when I put on my striped socks and stuffed a pillow in the front of my capris.  I was running around like that and acting like a looney oompa loompa until someone knocked on the door..............holy crap ......what was I gonna do?  So I carefully snuck up to the door to see who it was through the sidelight windows.  Egads, it was a friend I hadn't seen for about 5 years. 

Laughing all the while I opened the door ...... she  too burst out laughing .....of course she burst out laughing.  You don't see an oompa loompa every day of the week.....in fact you don't ever see them I don't think.  But she sure saw me.  Orange tanned skin, green tinted hair with my striped socks and a pillow in the front of my capris to represent an even fatter oompa loompa than I already was.

My friend just couldn't wait to ask.  She said "Are you trying out for a Willie Wonka play?"  I said no ..... I was making my Halloween costume.....whew......I took care of that one.....but all the while I had my fingers crossed for telling just a little fib. (You all know how adamant I am about not telling fibs or lies).  But I took care of the situation right then and there. 

I was an Oompa Loompa for the moment and so that I can clear my conscious and not feel I fibbed, I'm going to put those striped socks back on for Halloween.  My hair still looks like it has a green tint.  Now what to do about orange skin.....cause I'm not using that fake tanner again!!!!  Maybe I will go try to buy some orange face paint.  I really want to be that Oompa Loompa again....just for a day.  But I can't decide if I want to live in Loompaland.....the mean old wicked witch of the west might have come over from the Land of Oz to Loompaland.

Old Tyme Pictures of Area Things

These are from old postcards which were readily used in the olden days.  Click on the picture for an enlarged view.


Springfield City Hall and Lincoln's Home
1905



Another Picture of Springfield City Hall
Unknown Address


Postcard used by Springfield's Lincoln Henkel Business
College in Springfield 1912


Memorial Hospital Springfield


St. John's Hospital Springfield


St. Clara's Hospital Lincoln 1908


Recipe

Dump Cake

2-21 oz. cans of fruit pie filling (cherry is great)
1 yellow cake mix...dry.
1 c. chopped pecans or english walnuts or mix the two.
1-1/2 sticks of melted butter





Use a 13X9 pan. Spray bottom & sides of pan with cooking spray.
Pour both cans of fruit pie filling in bottom of pan.
Spread it around evenly as possible.
Sprinkle "DRY" cake mix on top of fruit. DO NOT SMASH DOWN THE DRY CAKE MIX. I just sprinkle it on.   Highs and lows are fine. Top the dry cake mix with chopped nuts.
Pour melted butter over the nuts and dry cake mix.
Bake 350degrees F. 45 min to an hour.

Thought For The Day

If you are able to state a problem,
it can be solved.
--Edwin H. Land

While in the big city yesterday I did the most dastardly thing possible!  I had to go to a cardiac exercise class and after that I was hungry as a bear. 

I also needed to go to the grocery store and I know that when I'm hungry while shopping, I buy what I consider the most unusual, delectable and expensive things I can find.  Upon getting home from grocery store shopping I tend to wildly jump into tearing open packages and eating the whole lot of unwholesome food in my shopping bags.  If I had gout, I would certainly suffer after one of these binges.

Based on my unwillingness to shop while hungry, I was forced to pulled into the closest drive-up window....the local McDonald's drive-through, so I could order some cholesterol laden burger meat.  Yes, just after cardiac rehab exercises, I wanted the most unhealthy McBurger I could order.  And I didn't want to forget the toxically salted french fries either.

The woman ahead of me had a load of kids in the car.  I could see through her back glass that the kids were throwing shoes at each other and acting like a bunch of hoodlums.  I'm sure this wasn't their only trip through McDonald's today because the kids acted as though they had drank about 6 carbonated cola drinks, containing about 2 cups of sugar each.

Finally her van pulls away and it's my turn to order.  I tell the uninterested intercom what I want.  The garbled reply of course can't be understood, but I thought she said $8.42.  Now how can that be????? I only ordered a McDouble McBurger as I call it and an order of those horribly toxically salted french fries. 



Sure enough I get to the window and she says in her sweet voice $8.42.  "It can be" I politely say.  "I only ordered a McDouble and a $1.00 french fry".  The clerk says, "ma'am I have it you ordered 4 large coca cola's and three french fries".  I said "that's not my order".  She said, "that was your order".  It suddenly dawned on me.....I'm being held hostage to pay for order for the van that was in front of me.

Not wanting to make a scene I said "look.....I'm going to pay only for my McDouble and my french fries."  She said "your order is $8.42 and you must pay this amount."  I say....."call the manager NOW!" 

It's been so long now since I ordered, I know that my burger will be tepid temperature with the toxically salted fries dehydrated and limp and cold.  The window slides open and a man with a beard says "can I help you?"  By this time I'm tired of McDonald's friendly faces.....so I loudly exclaim.....I want it my way!!  Then I thought.....Oops that was Burger King's wasn't it.......so I then tried to calmly tell him my two item order and that the clerk was trying to scam me into paying $8.42.  He said, no problem ma'am.  Your order is ready at window 2 and that will be $2.16.  I pay and don't respond because I can't believe that it took me asking for a manager to get the cost right.

I drive to window 2 and the clerk said....that will be just a minute.  What????????????  After all this time, my order isn't even ready????  Finally the sack is passed out of the window and I drive off.  My hand goes into the bag.  No napkin.  No ketchup.  One french fry and a McChicken.  Not my order.  The only way I like a McChicken is without the mayo and lettuce.....but I'm starved so I scrape the lettuce and mayo off and eat it.  Is McDonald's so poor that they can't even give their loyal customers a napkin to wipe off the grease from their food.

The tasteless but over salted fries were cold and stuck in my throat.   If you've ever tried to eat a cold McChicken without any sauce, it's a gruelling task and I might say a tasteless concoction.  By the time I got done eating my leather car seats were shiny with an oil covering and I was slipping and sliding around.  

I know my McDonald's problems were caused by something trying to tell me I shouldn't eat that crap.  But did I listen.....NO!  I ate it.  And right after exercising to build strength.  There is something wrong with me......no will power that's what.  I just hope the heck that today is a stay away day for me.....the power to resist is upon me.  I hope!


Thanks for reading my blog.  It's for Greenviewanites and other persons interested in humor and history.  Comments would be appreciated.   This blog is protected under copyright laws and cannot be used or reproduced.

Have a great day......


No comments: