Wednesday, October 19, 2011

If I Were Age 14 Again.....What Would I See?

Age 14 ? That Is A Long Time Ago....hmmmm!

If I were to be age 14 again, I would see Freshman initiation and the horrible senior I had assigned to me.  I was a true slave!  No names mentioned of course, but he was a bully and a meanie.

I remember that Disco had just become popular.  American Bandstand was a must on our television set every Saturday afternoon I think.  Everyone was doing the "Watusi".  In Greenview we were a bit behind the times on popular dances.  If I remember right, we were still doing the twist to Chubby Checker's " The Twist". Then I remember Chubby Checker releasing his "Wah-Watusi" record.  I had to have that record too so I could learn to dance the Watusi all night long!

Of course in Greenview we were just beginning to do the Mashed Potato.   Dee Dee Sharp came out with Mashed Potato Time and I absolutely had to have that record when it came out.

Here's the utube for "The Twist" on American Bandstand, Chubby's Dancin Party and Dee Dee Sharp with Mashed Potato Time.




My family liked country music and I remember about this time that Patsy Cline died in a plane crash.  I remember hearing that Patsy Cline record we had played over and over at our house.

But, my most loved music of this time was the Beach Boys.  When they came out with Surfin USA, I loved it and had to have that record the moment they came out with it.  I personally think some of the best songs from the Beach Boys were released when I was a couple or three years older but I loved every song they ever sang.  Here's Surfin USA on utube:


I remember the day the Greenview K and K Market, the old locker plant and Kincaid's tavern burned.....I was just 14 and was at cheerleading try-outs when it started.

Of course the most impressionable memory of being age 14 was that President Kennedy was killed.   I got to watch every news cast about his death on television and cried every minute.  They kept repeating the segment where Walter Cronkite announces that "there were three shots and a rumor that our President is dead" and then later Croncike announces the President is indeed dead. I must have watched that segment ten times that night after school.    When the school superintendent made the announcement over the intercom, I believe I was in Band class.  I remember going home early because I was so upset because my Great-Grandma Lizzy also died that afternoon and it was on my mama's birthday and she had just died the year before so I was just about traumatized. The death of President Kennedy and being able to watch the newscasts on television is something I can carry with me for a lifetime.

Being age 14 again was fun.  It doesn't seem as many years ago as it actually has been.  But time passes quickly....and as you get older, it passes faster and faster. A stroll down memory lane is all that is left of age 14.  I don't think I would want to be age 14 again for good.....but if I could go back, maybe for just a day or two!

Old Pictures In The Area (click for bigger on most)
Illinois Central Railroad


Illinois Central Railroad Advertisement to
attract people to buy land from them.


Vachel Lindsay - An Illinois Poet


Illinois State Armory Building, Springfield



Little Chum's Lodge Springfield Postcard
Junction 66 at North Bypass 66


Fleetwood Restaurant - Dirksen Parkway/31st Street
Springfield


Death Verified
As stated in yesterday's post, I have verified that Penny Simmering died on Thursday, October 13.  She was age 83.


Recipe

Pot Roast in Slow Cooker

2 (10.75 oz) cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package of dried onion soup mix
1 ¼ cups water
 3 lb or more pot roast
In the slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture. Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, OR  on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

Thought For The Day
The worst loneliness is not
 to be comfortable with yourself.
--Mark Twain

"gonna rock around the clock tonight, gonna rock rock rock til broad daylight".  Bill Haley had it right when he came out with that song.  Through the years there were times when I just didn't sleep at night and felt like I had rocked around the clock all night.  In the last year or so, those sleepless nights are when I sit back and think about what I can remember about the past and jot it down for future blog articles.

That rock around the clock song is from the 1950's when lots of people hated the rock and roll type music.  Of course back then people were always talking about the future.  They thought the Russians were going to bomb us after Kruschev came into office (and later beat his shoe and supposedly said "we will bury you".


Clark Gable said "damn" in "Gone With the Wind" and people didn't want their kids to go to the movies any more for fear of bad words.  Gas was about 20 cents a gallon and people feared it was going to get so high they couldn't afford gasoline.




Marilyn Monroe was about the sexiest woman alive and all the men were googly eyed when they saw her in her bathing suit and other sexy pictures.


I was really young in the 1950's but I remember riding my bike to Johnson and Denton's grocery store to get a loaf of bread for less than a quarter.  I remember my folks talking about various things and when a price went up or a news item came on they many times said "what is this world coming to".


If the people who were alive in the 1950's, but have since died, could only see our current day prices of gasoline and beef roasts and bread and especially cars, they would probably beat their shoe on the table as The Russian Communist Kruschev did.  We live the fast pace but the economy controls our finances.  The hard times came in the past and for some are here now.  Never let us forget the good times.......the life where our days of our youth led us to our future.




Thanks for being a reader of this blog.  The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.  This blog and all posts are protected under copyright laws and cannot be used or reproduced.

Have a good day!