Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Doing The Funky Chicken

Do you remember the funky chicken?

As a kid my mama taught me to do "The chicken", where you flapped your arms and kicked your feet.  She said that dance was a popular folk dance when I was a baby.   After she taught me that, my mama and I would dance around flapping our arms and kicking our feet and I really thought I was a chicken.  Especially when I was scratching my feet and cackling and crowing like an old rooster and hen.  I always had fun when my mama and I were dancing around like a couple of goony chickens.

I'd been dancing that chicken dance for years when, in about 1970, the Jackson 5 came out with their funky song "How Funky Is Your Chicken".  It was right about that time that the "Funky Chicken Dance" became popular.  What????  I'd been doing this same dance for years and now everybody thought "wow" a new dance.  I sure laughed at people doing that dance because they looked pretty stupid, flapping their arms and kicking their feet.  And when they added the "Yellow Chicken" moves where they wiggled their legs like they were made of rubber, I about cracked up.  But the "Crazy Chicken" moves in the Funky Chicken dance were the best as people were acting like they were scratching the floor and clucking really loud and boisterously.  How funny.

Yep it was funny because now I knew how funny and stupid my mama and I must have looked years ago.  Not only did we do the Chicken Folk dance back in the late 1950's but we were doing the Funky Chicken with the Yellow Chicken and the Crazy Chicken moves and we didn't even know it as this dance, with these moves, hadn't even been invented when we were doing it.  So America......my mama and I must have used the Chicken Folk Dance to invent that Funky Chicken dance and moves....a long time ago in never never land.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Dance-The-Funky-Chicken-257599577

Vintage Nearby Towns and Areas

Athens Main Street 1908



Ashland Farmers State Bank 1909



Mason City Farmers Grain and Coal 1917



Havana theater


Havana High School 1913




The old screen left from the Havana Drive In



A 1917 advertisement for the Havana National Bank


You can click on most photos to get an enlarged view.





Events in Greenview


February 3 - The Greenview CIA Soup and Chilli Dinner, 5 to 7 pm at the Greenview School all purpose room.  The GHS vs. Illini Central game to follow.  All proceeds benefit the Greenview CIA Scholarship Fund.


Ongoing - The Historic Marbold Homestead Association is attempting to purchase the old Marbold Mansion.  Funds are needed to help purchase this property.  Donate if you can.  Details can be found on the association website.





Thought For The Day

  I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and
causes me to tremble for the safety of my country....corporations
have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places
will follow.
--Abraham Lincoln

It seems this man could foresee the future!


There are people who are considered an incendiary, meaning a fire starter and then there are those who meet the other definition.  Meaning.....a person who is likely to incite civil unrest; tending to arouse strife; agitator.

Yes I know quite a few of those type people...not firestarters....the others.  And I don't especially like them.


Usually the words which come from their mouth tends to resemble something which would come from a person who is an "anti-" just about everything.....and the political ones are the worst. 

Sure people have the freedom of speech and if they want to post their true feelings they should do that, but if they're really strong about their
"anti-whatever feelings" in many cases it can show how much of a horse's patootie they really are and it might turn people off to a friendship with others.

The numbers seem to be growing......I'm ready.....my friendships might be fewer but due to freedom of speech I say....good riddance.  Hope I'm not considered one of those....oh well.


Thanks for visiting this blog.  This blog and posts are protected
under copyright laws.

See you soon.  The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.

1 comment:

crystal cotton bed sheets said...

Sure people have the freedom of speech and if they want to post their true feelings they should do that, but if they're really strong about their
sealy spa luxury mattress pad
short queen mattress sheets