Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A House Painted Pink

Would you paint your house pink??

A couple of days ago I happened to be driving down the street and lo and behold I see a pepto bismol pink house.  The front door and the window casings all were painted pink  God awful color if you ask me.  And to boot the fence was a bright blue.  It was so bad that if a person didn't have diarrhea, just looking at this pepto color was enough to give it to you.

As I sit here pondering about writing to tell you I saw this horrible pink house, it makes me wonder just why would anyone want to paint their house bright pink?  And pepto bismol pink to boot.  As I see it there could be a number of reasons.....I'm not sure they would be considered valid reasons but....

First of all I will give them the benefit of a doubt and say that maybe they bought the wrong color.  uh huh....sure!  Or maybe the store mixed the wrong color and all of those gallons of pepto bismol would go to waste so why not go ahead and use it on the house. uh huh....sure!

Perhaps they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted it pink so everyone would talk about it.  Maybe they thought it would get them on reality TV.  Sometimes weird things get you on those kind of shows doncha know.  Look at the convicted former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich....his hair is weird and it got him on a couple of  reality shows....and his wife was on one too and she even ate a tarantula (now that is weird!).  See people do weird things for weird reasons.

Perhaps the city paid them to paint it pink so it could become a phenomenon on the city register or in the historical register.  Or the city wanted a pink house that was easily recognizable in their quest to give good directions from one spot to another in the city.

By jove I bet I have the real reason.....they wanted to attract Better Homes and Gardens to take pictures and do a feature story....or maybe House Beautiful would be better......or maybe Mad Magazine if you ask my opinion.

But for now the pink house mystery and why they painted it that awful pepto bismol pink will remain a mystery....cause I'm not gonna go up to the door and knock for fear that someone who looks like the Addams Family "Lurch" might open the door.

Old Tyme Greenview

1959  -  Mrs. Earle Eldridge sold the Eldridge and Eldridge fertilizer business to Schrock Fertilizer Service.  Burton Zeitler and family moved to Greenview and Mr. Zeitler assumed the management of this business.

1959  -  One of the oldest buildings on the village squar was razed on March 9.  The building was located between the Legion Hall and the Greenview Fire Station and was reportedly built in about 1867.  Conklin Barber Shop is housed in the new modern building.

1959  -  A barn on the Billy Ross Edwards farms was destroyed by fire when struck by lightening August 29 during the storm that hit this area.

1960  -  The last runs of the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio passenger trains between Bloomington and Kansas City were made April 14, marking the end of rail passenger and mail service to and from Greenview.

1960  -  Leslie McKee retired from the grocery business after devoting thirty years to the business.  He operated the McKee Grocery at the same location for twenty-three years.  (Note....for those of us who remember Les and Gerald, the business was in an old garage of sorts and had partial dirt floors.....not too clean but the hunks of bologna were good and most only used this store in times where the other grocers weren't open!)

1960  -  On November 21, at about 8pm a fire struck and completely devoured the James Willis home on the Milo Vogt farm south of Greenview.  The Willis family was not at home when the fire started.

1961  -  Arnold Berg, owner of Berg's Autobody of Greenview and James (Perry) Altig became partners in a new business venture called Greenview Welding and Machine.  The shop and business was in the northwest part of town.  James (Perry) Altig died later this year on December 20 at the age of 42.

1961  -  Mr. and Mrs. Jack Luscher, owners of the Greenview Review for over thirteen years sold their interests in this weekly publication to the Petersburg Observer effective June 26.

1962  -  The new post office was officially opened for business in Greenview on Tuesday, January 2.  Andrew Fitzgerald was postmaster with Miss Jennie Godbey as clerk.

1962  - Minister Lyle Brassfield minister of the Greenview Christian Church for almost five years resigned to accept a pastorate in Alma, Michigan.  Rev. Richard Robinson was called as the new minister of the Christian Church.

1962  -  Donald Beatty resigned as Superintendent of the local schools to accept a similar position at Northwestern Community Unit School in McDonough County.


Recipe

I love coconut pie and I really like it when I don't have to make a pie crust.  This pie makes its own crust...and is really good.

Magic Coconut Pie
4 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted margarine
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coconut

Gradually add sugar to beaten eggs.  Beat in milk.  Sift dry ingredients and add to first mixture.  Add melted margarine, coconut and vanilla.  Pour into 2 eight (8) inch pie pans which have been lightly greased.  Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees F. for about one hour or until set, depending on different ovens. (Note I have used a 10 inch deep dish pie pan instead of the two eight inch pans.)

Thought For The Day
If it doesn't absorb you, if it
isn't any fun, don't do it.
--D. H. Lawrence


If someone throws something at you, you duck.  It must be something in our instinct to know when to duck and when something is coming.  Most of the time at least.


If you think about a fly sitting on the kitchen counter, he knows when to fly away.  He knows that fly swatter is coming his way.  Now, I really don't how he knows but in the case of my fly swatter, I miss every time.  I must be as slow as molasses in my swing of the swatter.  But, when I think of a fly's eyes, I once read where they see motion so I guess when they see this big mama coming at them, they prepare for flight, probably thinking I'm going to sit on them or something.  They don't even think about the big swatter I have in my hand...they worry about the "big" all right...good and big.


I don't think us humans have the uncanny ability to see motion as well as the fly so if someone throws something at us, our reflexes, and especially my reflexes, are such that we might get hit with the flying object.  Yesterday it was the pillow the other person in this house threw to me so I could lie down on the sofa and become the goddess of the tv remote.  Yes it hit me....but being a pillow it didn't do much damage.....just did damage to my ego because I didn't see it coming.  Guess I need to get my eyes checked....when you can't see a huge pillow coming you way, the glasses just aren't right!!!




Come again.  This blog and posts are protected under
copyright laws. 

The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.

See you soon!

1 comment:

doll lady said...

Ken D. In case you come back to this post.....your message about Les McKee's store somehow got posted on the Insulted By a Brush post.....don't know why but it's on that one.