Monday, January 9, 2012

Insulted By The Brush

Has Your Toothbrush Ever Fought Back?

Every morning it's the same.  Get up, do the strenuous stretching in order to prevent muscle sagging.  First the neck from side to side to help with that sagging old neck skin.  Then the facial muscles .... give yourself a facial a day is like yoga for the skin.  Then comes the body stretching....left arm over the head and hold for the count of 15, then the other arm over the head....next comes putting your hands on your shoulders and doing the chicken wing circles, first frontwards then backwards for about 10 circles each way.  After that comes bending towards your toes and holding for 15 seconds then standing upright and putting your right leg forward and left leg stretched out behind you and holding for about 15 seconds.  Whew...stretching done.  Next comes brushing the teeth to get rid of night ick.

Go into the bathroom and ..... where the heck is my toothbrush???  It's the white one with the green and red stripes....it's an Aquafresh.  The only one in the house that is an Aquafresh.  Easily recognizable brush and not likely to be used by the tooth fairy or others in search of a toothbrush to use.  I had this toothbrush for quite a while and should have replaced it but....dang it....it was my favorite.  It fit my mouth and around my toofers just right.

I searched the bathroom.  First the toothbrush cup, then both drawers in the vanity.  Evasion!!  Come to me little toothbrush but no it didn't.  It just didn't want to be found!  Was it fighting back?  Maybe be it was tired and didn't want to enter the black hole, full of bacteria and that awful smell of morning breath!!!  Where are you my little striped brushie......LOST!  I absolutely couldn't find that brush and had to open a new package which we always keep on hand for guests who arrive with no toothbrush in hand. 

So now I have a new toothbrush and feel very insulted that the old one hid so well just to avoid me this morning.  But.......the latest news is that I found that little sucker ..... in the bottom of the waste can.  It fell from the counter and must have jumped about one and a half feet to land in the waste can.  Wonder how that happened?  Maybe the tooth fairy came and saw the pitiful shape of that pathetic brush and helped that brush jump to the waste can. 
I feel insulted .... my brush didn't even care enough to say goodbye.  It fought back and won.  Goodbye old friend.  I'll say goodbye even though you didn't.

Springfield At Its Best

Did you know that when you google Springfield Illinois metro area it shows it consists of two counties.....Sangamon and Menard.  That is so interesting because Menard County at one time was considered a part of Sangamon county.  No wonder we all have an interest in Springfield and the near area.  We are a part of it.  I love the history of our small town, but our ancestors weren't the best picture takers and after a while the photos run out.....at least until I can find some more in my quest for the old stuff.

Here are some more photos and photo postcards of old Springfield places and businesses.  You should be able to click on most pictures to get an little larger view.   Enjoy!



1917 Bressmer's Ad


1917 YMCA Ad...YMCA at 317 South 7th


1962 Autorama Car Show at the State Fairgrounds



Centennial Building 1925





The Dome Building at the State Fairgrounds early 1900's.
The Dome building was originally built for the Columbian
Exposition in Chicago.  When it was dismantled, it was brought
to Springfield and rebuilt on the state fairgrounds.  This dome
 building later was destroyed by fire.  It was located to the east of where the Exposition building is on the current fairgrounds.


Recipe

Hardee's Type Biscuits
4 cups self rising flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk

Mix ingredients together.  Do not knead the dough.  Roll out on a floured board and cut with a biscuit cutter.  Brush top with buttermilk before baking at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes.

Thought For The Day
The perfect man uses his mind as a mirror.
It grasps nothing.  It regrets nothing.
It receives but does not keep.
--Chuang Tzu


The kid in me comes out frequently.  The stories I want to write showcases me as the protagonist.  Me, as the lead character, probably just wouldn't work.  I would be too much of a drama queen.  I love drama. 

Then after the story would begin I probably would want to then be the antagonist.  Because starting a good conflict never hurt anyone.  The kid in me just wants to bust out and be here!

But I must contain those feelings.  It might not be normal for someone to want to be a kid so much.  One who wants to jump rope and chew bubble gum and ride on the merry-go-round and the carousel and skate on the sidewalk and jump rope.  Then do the limbo walk and the Mexican hat dance.  Can you imagine how this might affect an older person?  Three days in the old recliner with a heating pad as well as an icepack and a double dose of arthritis medicine.  I think I will restrain myself.




Come again.  This blog and posts are protected under copyright laws. 

See you soon.

The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember stopping by McKee's grocery store on Sunday evenings to pick up some item...Les or Gerald were always available to open up the store if you needed something...I think my parents told me that Les at one time had some type of delivery truck, and would deliver groceries to farm families in the area...sort of an early version of the Schwan's business

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

I really loved going in that store and looking around. I remember my dad going up to their house and Les coming out to get something for my dad. Les was a nice man.

Anonymous said...

They were good folks.

Rick