Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Geezer or An Old Geezer

Are you put out to pasture when you get old?

Sometimes it seems like no one wants to deal with seniors!  You probably would have a heck of a time finding a job unless you wanted to be a Walmart greeter...at an average salary of $14,000 per year....and when you divide the standard 2080 work hours per year comes to something around $6.75 per hour.  Just what I would want to do the rest of my life...standing at a door with either hot as hades summer heat or cold as hades winter cold coming in the door each time a person comes in.....and I would need to stand on my poor old legs and affix a permanent smile on my face, even when a nasty person comes up to me to complain.  No sireeeeee I would rather do without at home than be a Walmart greeter.

Next comes the waitress at the restaurant who conveniently asks you if you want a dish of prunes with your meal!  And then in the next breath she says (relative the to senior discount)....you are over age 65 aren't you??  Oh come on pleaaaaaaaaaaaase......!!  I have answered no I am only age 39, I've had a hard life....you should see the faces of these inconsiderate waitresses when I say something like this.....priceless!

Of course there's always the friend you haven't seen in 20 years and they say "you haven't changed in 20 years."  For crying out loud, I hope I didn't look this bad 20 years ago!!!!  What a nice (?) thing for the friend to say....I just have to think of something I can always come back with to say to friends like this.

But the thing that sticks in my craw are the people who ask...."Do you remember".....of course I remember....maybe not as well as a person age 20 but, I bet I remember how many drinks I had at the last senior party I went to....do you remember how many cocktails you had when you were out partying the last time?

So I guess it's inevitable, we babyboomers as we are so called, are going to be put further and further into the back part of the pasture as we grow older.  It might be ok if we like dry grass and wire fences.

Old Tyme Stuff

Do you remember this stuff from the 50's and 60's

Fins on cars....like the 57 chevy, the pink Cadillacs with huge fins.

Wilt chamberlain playing ball.

77 Sunset Strip

The Russians might bomb us.

The Hula Hoop.

The PoGo Stick.

Silly Putty.

The Nash Metropolitan.

Ed Sullivan.

Martin Luther King speeches and the entire Civil Rights hullabaloo.

Lassie with Jeff.

The first man walking on the moon.

The Beatles, The Monkees, Elvis Presley, ,The Rolling Stones.

Bobby Darin, Jan and Dean, The Beachboys, Sandra Dee.

Mad Magazine.

Winston Churchill and Khrushchev in the news.

Black and White Television with tubes.

Transistor radios...everyone had one to carry around.

Though For The Day
Why isn't there a special name
for the tops of your feet?

--Lily Tomlin



Appliances come with warranties but in these days how good are they?? It used to be really great when you saw that an item had a lifetime or a 25 year warranty......that might have meant the item would still be working when we were long gone.  But, now I wonder if the company who issued the dang warranty will even be in existence. 

So what the heck good is a lifetime or 25 year warranty....worth the paper it's written on maybe...if even that.  Of course some items only last as long as it takes to open the box, plug it in and use it one time.  And when you look at the fine print on the box it says "Made in USA" by union workers.  What????  Whatever happened to the long lasting products Made in China...I have some things that say Made In China and I've had them for 30 years.  No disrespect to our union workers as I'm sure it's the quality of materials bought by the company .... but......


Thanks for visiting my blog.  The blog and posts
are protected under copyright laws.

Hope to see you again.  The rating indicator is at the bottom of
the post.

See you soon!

No comments: