Thursday, February 9, 2012

Where Is It At?

Did you say this all your life?

I remember as a kid being corrected for saying "Where Is It At"!!  And, the person who did this, was a teacher and said "behind the at".  I absolutely didn't have any idea what this person meant as the reason sure wasn't explained to me.

As I went through life I asked several persons, including an old professor, to show me the grammar rule on this but, the rule is non-existent....even with no rule, it's still grammatically wrong to say "Where Is It At".  It's convention without a rule or so I'm told.  "Where" denotes the place so "at" is redundant. 

 Dang it.  I like the way "Where is is at" sounds......so maybe I'll continue to ask that question whether or not it's wrong....because it surely can't be the only thing I'm saying grammatically wrong.  And do I care????  Heck no!  There isn't an English teacher who is handing out grades and I don't plan on entering any grammar contest.....I'm just going to be me, myself and I.......(and that's wrong too).  HA HA HA

I hate it when you run across someone who is so proper and well versed in the English language that this person grades anything that comes across their vision.  And with red pen too......Who cares??!!  I'm an American and I use slang......big time slang......a true American.  Just be glad I'm not from the hills of West Virginia.  If I had been from there I might have lived in a shack and not have had good book learning and  I might have been a member of a fighting clan.....but I would have still been an American.....with freedom of speech and able to say anything grammatically wrong that I want to say.  So there!

Old Tyme Greenview

1965 -  After 18 months under a cooperative ministry, the St. John's Church of Christ and the United Presbyterian Church of Greenview voted to merge.

1965 -  Natural gas became a reality the week of August 6.  Marie Madison was fatally injured in a car-train crash on September 11 and her husband Webb who was critically  injured died September 22.

1965 -  The Board of Directors of the newly organized Greenview Community Bank were elected.  They were Russ Hinrichs, Chairman of the Board; Elmer Cramer, President; Arthur Deverman and Conrad Noll, vice presidents; Richard Rush, cashier; and John Dirks, Dale EDwards, Donald Riley and Bob Tice.  The bank opened for business on October 2 in the old First State Bank building.

1965 -  Mrs. Jess Wilson retired from the faculty of the Greenview School after teaching for 29 years.

1965 -  Harold Deverman received serious injuries when a tractor which he was driving flipped backward, while he was trying to pull a loaded truck from the mud.  He was pinned underneath the tractor.

1966 -  Ted Miller retired as the manager of the FS station located on the east edge of Greenview effective January 1.  He had managed the station for 13 years.  Floyd Dennis assumed the management of the station that same day.

1966 -  Greenview area was hit by a storm which did untold damage tot he crops, trees, and buildings.  The storm came on June 8 and was accompanied by large hailstones, wind and a downpour of rain.

1967 -  The Greenview Community Center, a recently completed modern shelter int he village Park, was dedicated at an all-day celebration on Labor Day, September 4.  This 44 x 62 green bu8ilding replaced the old bandstand which was razed by fire on July 24.

1967 -  Fire destroyed the Reiser Elevator feed mill at Greenview early the morning of October 3.  The blaze had made good headway when firemen reached the scene.  Fire-fighting units from Mason City and Athens were called to prevent an out-of-control disaster.

Thought For The Day
Be a good listener. 
Your ears will never get you in trouble.
--Frank Tyger


If I was my boss......I would fire me.....plain and simple.

I am overbearing according to some.

My talents for writing suck even though I continue to do it.....trailer park humor as some call it.

I can't find the end of a stick by myself.

If there is something going on, I'm there, so I guess that makes me a nosy rosy.

I love to smell the roses, but I want to do it all day long instead of just looking at them sitting on my desk.

I'm always wanting more money.

These are all valid reasons for getting rid of me.  So as the boss of me, I'm firing me.  As Donald Trump would say:  You're fired!  Then I would cry and sob and ride away into the sunset in a black car (for mourning I guess).  Good!  Now I don't have to answer to anyone.....I'm my own self.   Unemployed, but happy!




Thanks for coming to my blog.
This blog is protected by copyright laws.
The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.

Hope to see you again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Greenview residents have propane tanks before natural gas was introduced in 1965?

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

Ken..we had one of those upright propane tanks and I remember seeing those in Greenview proper....we used ours for a gas heater to supplement the coal furnace. Did you have a propane tank in the country??? We had a coal furnace and I think a lot of people had coal furnaces.....my dad used to haul coal to a really lot of people.

Anonymous said...

We had a furnace that burned fuel oil, and had an outside tank

Ken Dirks