Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Time To Yawn

Always wondered why we yawn.

What the heck is a yawn other than a wide gaping hole????  I always thought that a yawn was done because we were bored or tired...but a person who is a licensed medical practitioner told me it's because oxygen levels are low in the lungs.  But I also read that it releases carbon dioxide and it oxygenates the body at the same time.

I think it's so funny that if you yawn, before long the person next to you will also yawn...copy cat reflex is what I call it.  I have read that unborn babies also yawn.  That's interesting.  We once had two dogs and when one would yawn and the other one saw the first one yawn, then the other dog would also yawn...funny!!

Since yawning always make me feel better, I consider yawning a form of exercising.....it's doing stretches of a body part....my mouth....as if my mouth doesn't get enough stretching doing with all the talking I do!!

Old Tyme Greenview

1874 -  Al Stone and Ed Leighton bought the mill and elevator of the G. W. Hatch Sr. Estate.

1874 -  Mr. James Tripp, Sr., came with his parents by way of prairie schooner from New York to Sangamon County and settled.  He lived near Pleasant Plains until after he was married.  Then he came to Greenview and farmed east of town.  In 1876 he engaged in the hardware and lumber business.  Later his sons, Harry, Henry and Ernest joined him in business. His integrity was passed on to his children and grandchildren.

1877 -  The banking firm of Alkire and Alkire which had been doing a business in Payne's store (the Bracken Building), dissolved the banking partnership.  Mr. Henry Marbold built a new brick building costing $12,000.  He and John Alkire opened a banking institution in one end of this new building.  Milem Engle was a silent partner in the banking venture, but he operated a general store in addition.  Later Mr. Edward Brunsman, a young man schooled in the business of banking, became associated with Mr. Marbold in the bank.

1877 -  A weekly paper called the Greenview News was begun by a Mr. Smith.  However, the venture was short lived.  The paper office was located in part of the bracken building.  Payne built the building but more folks are familiar with eh Bracken name association.  James Bracken and Frank Denton had a grocery store in this same building at this time. 

Thought For the Day
Who are a little wise
the best fools be.
--John Donne

Back when the kids were young, Beenie Weenies sure were an easy meal to fix a couple of bean and weiner hungry kids.  I called that meal the fillet of soul and bean toots! 

I became such a Beenie Weenie chef that I should have opened a franchise.  I could just see the marquee.....Beenie Weenie Teenie Weenies!!  That would have brought in the socialites I'm sure.  Just what a millionaire woman and her fancy ways would want....a weenie swimming in ketchup and brown sugar and pork and beans.  What a delicacy .... but don't knock it if you've not had a bite of a delicious Beenie Weenie Teenie Weenie.  They just melt in your mouth.  They're cooked slowly to develop flavors which will heighten your senses.  At the first bite, your taste buds will get up and go .....  then, after several meals of these tasty morsels, your taste buds will definitely giddy up and go .....  south .... to the water glass probably.  Because after you eat about 10 meals of these, you are about sick of them.  I just don't know how the teenies could eat so many meals of the Beenie Weenie Teenie Weenies.....they stick in your craw after a while....and it becomes hard to swallow them.   But I must admit the first time I ate them they sure were good.  Now I never make these....I wonder why??!!


Thanks for coming to my blog.
(it's protected under copyright laws)

Hope to see you again!

No comments: