Monday, November 12, 2012

Spatchcocked Turkey?????


What in the heck is a spatchcocked turkey?

Is that a turkey which has been spatched?  If so, what is spatched?  Does that mean the turkey has been smacked around and left for dead?  Or, does it mean that a hamburger spatula has been used to beat the poor thing?   Or, does it mean that a turkey went out and got drunk and was wandering drunkenly down the road and got spatched when a car didn't see the turkey and tenderized the bird beyond recognition.  Spatched huh?

After all, I've seen drunken chickens before.  I must admit the drunken chickens I saw were cooked with a beer can up their old hiney.  But, I've never seen a drunken turkey, and I think to get a drunken turkey, you would need to put a whole six pack of beer up that old turkey's hiney.

Now I'm sure if I analyze this word spatchcocked, I will be able to figure it out.  I looked up the word spatch and found it's a game according to the urban dictionary.  Oh, ok, so it means a game turkey that _____?______ .  Now, taking the second word cocked,  we all know what cocked means....so if I put the two meanings together, I still don't know what a spatchedcocked turkey is.  Cripes.  Someone is coining big and grossly weird words for the dictionary. 

Back to google.  Yep there it is.  It didn't give me a true meaning, but if you take the backbone out of the turkey, push the rest of the turkey down by the breast bone on a flat baking sheet with a rim, and bake it till done, you suddenly have a spatchedcocked turkey.  Rub that sucker with olive oil and put on bit of salt and pepper and supposedly, this is the best turkey and one which cooks super fast. 

Ok ok....now the question is how the heck do you take the backbone out without totally butchering the turkey...it didn't tell me how to do that.  And, I really wonder how the heck you can spatchcock a 21 pound turkey, push the sucker down by the breast bone and get the whole thing on one baking sheet with a rim?  Am I supposed to use a large piece of tin from the barn roof to get something big enough???  I don't have a baking sheet that will hold the turkey, let alone fit in my oven. 

So ..... what a dilemma.  I want a spatchcocked turkey, and don't know how to do it and can't fit it in the oven to cook it.  And, I sure don't want to have a drunken turkey and waste a whole six pack of beer.  This delimma means that we will have a plain old huge 21 pound turkey, cooked in it's own juices. 

But I know that when I get the big bird ready to cook,  I'm going to put popcorn in his cavity, pop him in the oven and listen for the popcorn popping.  When the big old turkey's butt blows up and blows the oven door off and then flies across the room, I'll know he's done.


Something Old and Something New

 
This doll is from the 1950's.  These are called ponytail dolls
and were available at dimestores all over the nation.  They were made in japan and all had reddish hair in a ponytail, except for the ones which were sold with a brother, and he had only a hat on and no ponytail.  This particular one is a mechanical one which you could wind up and it would dance.  I own the above doll and love it.  In fact I own many ponytail dolls.  I used to go to Woolworth's in Springfield, and while my dad was having a piece of pie, I was buying ponytail dolls with the money he gave me to go spend. 
 
 
 
 
The doll on the right is one from my childhood....a Saucy Walker,  from 1956.  She's wearing a new coat which I made for her a few years ago.  The doll on the right is a fairly new doll.  As you can see, the quality of the older doll was much higher quality than that of today's doll.  Sure there are current day dolls which are of high quality, but they cost a ton of money and a child can't play with them.  Most Saucy Walker dolls had some rough play and still look good today.
 
 
 
 
Greenview residents will most likely remember the Greenview Review office on the north side of the square.  It was owned by Jack and Willie Ruth Luscher.  In this picture is their daughter Kathy when she was pretty young.  Note the Arlee Theater sign in the window.
 
 
 
Going south out of Greenview.  Taken when the highway had not been built.  Note the big stone Wernsing mansion on the right.
 
 
 
Quote For The Day
The best advice is this:
Don't take advice and don't give advice.
--Author Unknown
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thank you for coming to my blog.
 
 
Peace and Freedom
Because of our Veterans.
Thank you my friends and relatives who served.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla, do you know the year of the Greenview Review picture? I see Shane was playing at Mason City...I think I actually saw Shane at that theatre

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
منوعات نور NOUR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yanmaneee said...

air jordan 1
kyrie shoes
supreme clothing
kobe sneakers
off white
curry 8
yeezy
yeezy shoes
nike off white
curry 8 shoes

Unknown said...

replica bags review replica bags blog replica bags online