Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Absolute Silliest Question I Was Ever Asked.

There are dumb questions, but some are stupid!
Recently I had the occasion to see someone I hadn't seen in a long time.  This person immediately said "Are you still alive?"

Now I  know that was a rhetorical question but, it was really a stupid question.  Here I stood not two feet away, and without a respirator or a ventilator, plainly visible, standing on my own two feet.  H*ll yes I'm still alive!!  That was without a doubt the most stupid and silliest question I'd ever been asked!!

But sometimes a silly question comes from a kid....and that I understand.  Not long ago, one of the grandkids asked me if that was the same moon that was at their house!  Of course it is but, that silly question came from an innocent child who didn't know any better or hadn't yet learned this. But what if an adult asked this question.....whew....that would be silly.

A person called my husband and I told him that he wasn't home.  The caller said, when can I "catch" him?  I said, "depends if you are going to use a fishing pole with a hook and worm or a butterfly net."  The caller was stunned....then thought about it and laughed. 

When my daughter was 1 1/2 years old, I took her with me while I completed some forms for dancing class.  The instructor said, can your daughter sign the form too?  This was a stupid thing to say....."well, give her a red crayon so she can color on your form, but it won't be decipherable".  Why the heck would she need to sign the form???  The instructor never asked me that question again.

One time I had to fill out a job application.  It asked what I felt were two silly questions:  1. How would your enemies describe you?  (That's easy to answer ..... they hate me or why else would they would be my enemy.)  2.  Where do you see yourself in five years?  (The answer I always wanted to give was.....probably doing the crap jobs at this company which no one else wants to do, making the lowest wage possible and the worst hourly shift.  But, I didn't say that.....I made up some flowery answer about "hoping to be at this lovely company helping the company develop into one of the best in the land."  A silly answer for a silly question.)

I was at a veterinarian office...someone came in and was talking to the office secretary.  The person said "Do the dogs count?"   I perked up hearing this question and chuckled to myself.   If I were asked that question, it would have been silly as heck....because my dog can't count.

Not long ago someone asked me where I wanted to be buried.  I simply said "in the ground."  The only possible answer I could think of to a silly question.

There are questions which some might think are silly, but in my estimation, they are simply ones which can't be answered.  1.  Who made God?  2.  Which came first the chicken or the egg?  3.  Why do we drive on a parkway but park on a driveway?  4.  When are we going to die?  5. What is the square root of pi?   You can use logic to try to answer these but I think it might result in failure except for the parkway/driveway question.  But I can certainly answer the square root of pi question......everyone knows that pies are round and most pies are not made of roots.  So there.....I answered a silly question with a very logical answer.

Old Greenview Stuff
From the History of Menard and Mason Counties 1879

WILLIAM A. STONE, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 13; P. 0. Greenview ; was born in Botetourt Co., Va., Oct. 20, 1809. His parents came to Kentucky in an early day, where they resided until their removal to Irish Grove, Menard Co., 111., in 1830. His father, Moses Stone, was a native of Bedford Co., Va., as well as his mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Whittin. At the time of their coming to Illinois, they had but little of this world's goods, and a family of twelve children depending on them.  The year following their coming, both parents died. Thus, in a new and unsettled
country, twelve children were left to the care of Providence and the few neighbors in that vicinity. The subject of this sketch being one of the older members of the family, the greater part of the responsibility of caring for the orphaned children fell on him. He, with the assistance of the neighbors, cared for them until they were able to do for themselves. He is now the oldest living representative of the family, seven of the children being dead.


 Mr. Stone was a soldier in the Black Hawk war, and also a soldier in the Mexican war. He was intimately acquainted with Abraham Lincoln, who was a frequent visitor at his house. Mr. Stone, for a number of years, commanded a company of State Militia, and is still called " Capt. Stone." He married Martha J. Patterson April 3, 1833, who was a native of Adair Co., Ky., and came, with her parents, to Irish Grove at an early day. They had nine children, eight of whom are now living Caleb T., James P., Lucella K., Margaret C., John L., Claudius L., William L. and Bertha A. ; deceased was Martha E. Mrs. Stone departed this life Sept. 24, 1874.

In early life, Mr. Stone and his wife connected themselves with the Presbyterian Church. Few men have done so much for the cause of religion. Although not an educated man, he has taken great care to educate his children well, sending them to the best colleges and seminaries in the country. He always has been a sound Republican ever since the party was organized. At present, Mr. Stone owns 250 acres of improved land, which he has made by close attention to business. He has given his children upward of $18,000, and has always been ready to give his support to anything that he believed would be of general benefit. He has held a number of positions of profit and trust, and acquitted himself with honor. 
(Note from Carla....this has to be Whitten Stone's grandfather....this man's wife's maiden name was Whitten.) 

 T. H. BRASFIELD, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 10; P. 0. Sweetwater; was born in Madison Co., Ky., Dec. 4, 1829 ; son of James E. and Tabitha (Moberly) Brasfield ; the former was a native of Virginia and the latter of South Carolina ; they were the parents of thirteen children, ten of whom are now living ; they removed to
Menard Co. in 1834, and settled near Athens ; the father departed this life in 1864, and the mother, in 1858. T. H. Brasfield passed his youth and early manhood on his father's farm and received a good common-school education. He was united in marriage with Laura F. Camp Feb. 13. 1856 ; she died Aug. 22, 1865 ; he was married, Sept. 19,. 1876, to Miss Cynthia M. Camp; from this union there is one child John E., born March 10, 1879. Soon after his first

marriage, he came to Sugar Grove Precinct, where he has since resided ; he owns 320 acres of well-improved land. Mr. Brasfield is a stanch Republican and an earnest advocate of its principles; his sympathies were always warmly enlisted in the cause of Antislavery.  

J. B. COPPER, farmer and stock-raiser ; P. 0. Sweetwater ; was born in Portage Co., Ohio, Dec. 14, 1809 ; third son and fifth child of Michael and Mary (Glasgow) Copper, who were the parents of nine children ; the father was a native of Kent Co.,M1., and the mother of Westmoreland Co., Penn. ; they were married in 1797; in 1838, the parents came to Illinois and settled on Rock River in which is now known as Carrull Co.; in the summer of 1851, the father died ; this was the same year our subject came to Illinois ; he had passed his youth and early manhood in Licking Co., Ohio,
assisting his father on the farm. He was married to Miss Eliza Pence, a native of Licking Co., in 1837 ; from this union there were three children William, David and George; Mrs. Copper died in the fall of 1853; Mr. Copper was married March 27, 1854, to Miss Emily Goff; the Goffs were early settlers of this county and date their history back to its first settlement; from this union there are twelve children: Harvey E., Charles B., John E., Laura J., Eliza E., Sarah M., Robert F., Thomas H., Louis C., Ida F., Lorena and Lydia.


Mr. Copper owns 316 acres of land, 286 of which are well improved and which he has made by his own exertions. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church ; they have a nice home, pleasant family and are among Menard County's most respected citizens.

Do You Remember?


Mrs. Mary Dullenty - Teacher


Mrs. Kathleen Vincent - Teacher


Mrs. Dulcena Dirks - Teacher


Mrs. Agnes Ingham - Teacher


What's Cookin?
I have decided to include this section rather than what's to eat at our house.  These will be my own personal family recipes....or those of Greenview residents.  I will post your family recipes if you email them to me.

Italian Sausage Dip

1 pound Italian Loose Sausage - Browned and Drained
2 cans Rotel Tomatoes (1 can Mexican and 1 can Regular)
2 Packages 8 oz. Cream Cheese

Put in a crock pot to melt and serve.  Serve with Tortilla chips.  Note:  The Hot Rotel Tomatoes makes this dip too hot for people to eat....can use both cans of Regular rather than one of Mexican.

Thought Of The Day
I like living.  I have sometimes been wildly,
despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with
sorrow, but through it all I still know quite
certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.
--Agatha Christie


Have you ever told a lie?  Even the smallest little fib is still a lie.  I admit it....I have told a few in my life but not many.

When I worked in the insurance field, it was unbelievable how many people lie on insurance applications.....but the insurance company has ways to find out the truth....be it your medical history or your auto record or your homeowner's claims and the biggie is your credit rating.  And when a insured person is at fault in an accident, many times the persons in the other car are walking at death's door, even in they didn't receive a scratch.  Many people are definitely injured in at-fault  wrecks but, many aren't hurt at all and lie to try to get a settlement.

One of the biggest fibs people tell creditors is "the check is in the mail".  I admit, I have used this one before.

Not long ago, we had neighbors who lied about almost everything.  They always had to be better than everyone else....they lied about their salaries, about the cost of things, about what they paid for cars, and just about every word which came out of both their mouths was a lie...and big lies to boot!  Then later, they would say something else and we knew they had lied about that too.  They couldn't keep things straight .... they'd told too many lies.  One time we purposely told them our house was going to be photographed for a magazine, just to see their reaction and to see if they would ever confront us....they did....and had the audacity to point out to us that we'd said our house was going to be in a magazine....we'd planned to tell them the session was cancelled if they ever asked.  What nerve they had to point out we had lied!!  They moved!!  We were glad....we were tired of their lies.  They were definitely full of fecal matter!!!

There's always the old standard....."Trust me".  That's a giveaway....never trust anyone who says that.  They're making it up as they go.  Another one is "I never meant to hurt you".... Sure you didn't, then why did you??  Or course, you might recall the one that says "I don't remember ever saying that!" .... sure you do, you just don't want to admit it!

I'm sure you have gone to someone's house and eaten something they made which tasted like doodoo.  To be nice, you might have said "it's the best I've ever had!"  Liar....it tasted like doodoo and you know it!

We've all seen big lies on television from big name people.  The most prominent that I can recall is:  "I did not have sex with that woman....Monica Lewinski.  Now I liked Mr. President, but that statement was kind of foolish....and he didn't get away with it.

The conclusion I've come to is that almost everyone has or will tell a lie or at least a fib in their lifetime.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!



This dog wants to lie so badly!


The humor is meant for laughs.....the rating indicator is at the bottom of this post....no lie.

Note...there is a new poll at the top right!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember all of those good teachers. They look pretty young in the photo's, don't they.
Carla, here's a good one for you, the number eleven (11). Why don't they call it oney-one?, you know, like twenty-one,thirty-one,etc.?

Why do I wonder such things?

Rick Setzer

Anonymous said...

Carla, thanks for the picture of my mother. Wonder what year that was?

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

Ken, I think she was younger in that photo than you and I are now.
Rick

Anonymous said...

Rick...she was 58 when she retired...if we are older than 58, your assumption is correct....

Ken

doll lady said...

Ken...that picture was from the 1960 yearbook. Yes....we're age 58 and holding! Carla