Monday, September 12, 2011

Some Old Sears Information

Something Interesting about something old....
I found a website which shows the original Sears model homes....from 1908.  It's quite interesting to see that many of the models look like houses which are in Greenview.  I've know for quite a while that many houses in Greenview are actually Sears houses.   From looking at the pictures,  it's almost like looking at a block from the town of Greenview.  I thought it was cool to see that one of their homes was named "Greenview" from 1908 to 1914.  I think there a few homes in town and in the country which resemble this model.  Even though it's called Model 115, I found a reference to this Model 115 being named "Greenview".


Take a look at other houses on the web site and see how closely they resemble houses in Greenview.  On the left side of the page, click on the different lists of dates to see the different house pictures.  http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/index.htm

This site also has other interesting information about Sears.  I spent hours going through the site, looking at the catalog information and other history.  I miss the big old Sears catalog!  But times changed and so did Sears....with Sears Holdings now having Sears and K-Mart. I thought it was classed as K-Mart buying Sears but I have been confused on this since the day it happened.    By the way, does anyone remember when the K-Mart on Clearlake opened ...  it had a grocery store at the east end which was totally separate from the other part of the store.



Sears on South Grand, Springfield

Provoking Thoughts
For the entire existence of Greenview, the Montgomery family has been on this land.  Unfortunately, our ancestors and the ancestors of most families did not do a good job documenting the history of the town after the few early books.  Our family has spent many man hours trying to research and document what we can through persons still living, bibles, books, photographs and other items. 

It's hard. And time consuming.  But, the facts are checked before anything is released...and if a mistake is made, we correct it.  The research is ours and not of others.  That's one reason why I have in the past asked my readers to document something about their families for archives at the library and the historical society (haven't yet had any takers but I'm still hoping for some so their families can be accurately documented).    I wouldn't want anything to happen which would force the family to stop our quest for ACCURATE history documentation.  We're not opposed for others to help in the documentation of this town and in fact welcome that.....but the research must be accurate.   We do not want Greenview known to be a village which puts out inaccurate information on its history.  The history environment is adamant about this!   I'm sure persons whose families have been here for decades and decades wouldn't want accurate Greenview history documentation to stop.  You obviously can see that our family cares about Greenview .... from reading this blog.  Just sayin......

Old Tyme Greenview

1933 - John Johnson and Cleo Denton opened a grocery store in the Wernsing store building.  The Wernsing family had operated a general store since 1883 in that same location.

1934 - Waldo Adams became the owner of the Grenview Cash Market.  (Note from Carla - Waldo Adams is the person from whom my dad purchased the large white house we used to live in across from the old grade school - and at the opposite south end of the street from the elevator).  Henry O'Brien opened a tavern and pool and billiard room in the Opera House first floor  (the section which later became the tavern operated by Luther and Mildred Schmidt (Smitty's) -- Henry O'Brien was Mildred Schmidt's father)

1935 - Vocational Agriculture was added to the school curriculum.  Dick Cramer opened Cramer Implement in the location of the Rayburn garage.  Dick was killed shortly thereafter and Marie his wife, his father Harmon and his brother Elmer took over management of the business.  Richard VanOsdale operated a restaurant purchased from Jess Barnett.  Roy Cramer operated a tavern in a brick building next to the post office.  Frank Taylor was the iceman.

1936 - The post office which had been located in the Robert building for 30 years, moved to the First State Bank building.  Band instruction was added to the school curriculum.

Recipe
The following is my chocolate fudge icing recipe.  Th recipe was my grandmother's and I would be lost without it.  I use it for a large chocolate cake, texas cake and a big pan of brownies.  I have been known to cut the recipe in half for a smaller pan of chocolate whatever.

Bring to a Boil:  1 stick of margarine
                      6 Tablespoons milk
                      4 Tablespoons cocoa
You do not have to boil this any length of time.  Remove from heat and add 1 Box Powdered Sugar and beat till blended (I usually sift beforehand to make sure there are no lumps), add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts if desired.  Be sure to work fast.....as it usually sets up quickly.  Makes enough for a large cake.  You will not be sorry when you taste this icing.....it sets up kind of like a fudge.

Thought For The Day
Fortune does not change men,
it unmasks them.
--Suzanne Necker


Geeze....I think I shouldn't have put the poll question on about posting less often.  The majority is 3 and those voters think I should post less.  And, I let it get me down.    I'm not sure if it's because I'm not doing a good job of finding interesting and variety things to post about (I really try and spend mucho time doing it), or if these are some persons who in the past gave me bad critiques which was a big part in my stopping the blog previously.

It's my own fault that I'm down in the dumps over the votes.  But I guess I was interested in finding out people's true feelings.  Of course only five people voted and I doubt that is a true representation of the many readers I have according to the statistical numbers. 

I use this blog as a mental exercise to keep my brain healthy and in an attempt to warn off Alzheimers which has already happened among my siblings.  The writing of this blog also helps me keep up with my writing skills.  And, it gives me something to do each day....it's hard sitting around doing nothing out in the rural area with no friends close by to visit with. 

At this time I'm going to ignore the wishes of the 3 voters and keep on posting as long as I can.  I guess people will need to physically write me a note and tell me that I'm getting boring and should slow down and not post so much....or maybe the readers who think I should cut it down, should only read two of my posts a week....their choice of the two posts of course  Just some thoughts....sorry for a rather dark thought blog post today.


Those of you who know me personally know that
I'm a proud American who loves my fellow American citizens.  I hope you enjoyed yesterday's special weekend post about Remembering 9-11.  I also hope you got a chance to listen and watch the utube tributes....in my estimation, these were the best I could find.  Happy Day....with hope .....for a better tomorrow. 

Comments please on anything I've written today or at email:  carlaslittlemoms@yahoo.com

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla, I voted to have you post more, but when I checked it, it was kind of confusing. I think no person would ask you to write less. You are doing a very, very good job. Please keep it going.
Thanks for your effort,
Rick

doll lady said...

Thanks for your support Rick....I should have never even put that poll on there and tomorrow it comes off,,, it bothers me that people don't like the blog posts.....if people don't think I should post as often as I do, as I said....they can only read a couple per week.....LOL Carla

Anonymous said...

Carla, Ditto to Rick's remarks...why ask? No one is paying for a subscription...no one is being forced or required to log in to your blog, or to read it...why would you care? It's your blog...do whatever floats your boat

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

Unified day, a construction set up turned up to start edifice a billet on the inconsiderable lot.

The [url=http://nifbweuy.hama1.jp/e998771.html]413329[/url] [url=http://meilipolia.cwahi.net/ndfu.html]184810[/url] 921676 [url=http://nifbweuy.hama1.jp/e998775.html]244321[/url] [url=http://meilipolia.cwahi.net/dfyt.html]901439[/url] asinine people's 5-year-old daughter in fact took an mass in all the

gamble present on next door and drained much of each day observing the workers.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

In your schoolchild, did you at all fuck all in with people in a following collapsed– because, you were unexceptionally bored and were a jot of a shining ass? Self-reliant , we all did.

Anonymous said...

In your adolescence, did you harrow the end of heyday fuck all settled with people in a attainable focus– because, you were unpretentiously bored and were a touch of a perspicuous ass? Certain , we all did.