Friday, September 30, 2011

Tie A String Round My Body

Why would I tie a string on my body??
Back in the olden days, mothers would tie a string around a child's finger to help them remember something.  Tying the string is related to the previous olden days in which  people would tie a cloth around a part of the body which was painful to keep the pain from traveling to another part of the body.  This was called keeping the "spirit of life" in that area. 

The last days, I need both the remembering tool and the "spirit of life" to keep the stiffness pain from traveling to other body parts.  We  tend to forget things because we are simply not paying attention.....that's me!!!  A string on my finger would remind my subconscious mind that something's going on that I need to remember.  Unfortunately that string can't talk so I still need to remember what it is I'm supposed to be remembering. 

I think when you get old, the old brain gets big holes in it just like old socks.  The parts which were used the most, get the holes, again like old socks.  Out in space, there are big black holes which nothing can escape...things which fall in never reappear...yep that's my brain all right.

Then it comes to the cloth being tied on the body for the "spirit of life" and keeping the pain from travelling around the body.  I can relate to this, because when I have to get an intravenous drip, the nurse always ties tube thing around my arm and it sure doesn't let my blood go any place.....and my arm usually swells up and looks like a sausage.  If I'm going to tie a cloth around a part of body to keep the pain from travelling around, I have to make sure I don't get it too tight!!

I can void the need to tie a string around my finger to remember or around my body for pain relief......first of all I can start paying attention so I don't forget things....and for the pain, take a pain tablet....if I can remember where they are.

Old Tyme Greenview
Taken from the History of Menard and Mason Counties 1879

DAVID PROPST, farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 1 ; P. 0. Greenview; was born in Greenbrier Co., W. Va., Jan. 26, 1818. His father, Nicholas Propst, was a native of Germany.  He came to the United States when he was a boy and located in Virginia, where he married. He was the father of eight children, three of whom are now living. In 1829, he removed to Illinois and settled in Sugar Grove, Menard Co.

Mr. Propst in his lifetime was a great help to the early settlers of Menard Co. He had considerable means and he furnished many a settler with money, at a low rate, to enter land with. He was an " Old Line Whig," as were his sons, until the organization of the Republican party, when they became identified with it. Our subject passed his youth on his father's farm ; received a limited education, as there were but few schools in that early days. He now owns and is living on the place settled by his father, in 1829. When he was yet a young man he purchased, with land warrants, 160 acres of land on Salt Creek, for which he paid 75cents per acre ; six years after, he sold the land for $20 per acre. This and like transactions are characteristic of his success in life. He now owns over 400 acres of well-improved land.

 He was united in marriage with Sarah Wilcox April 10, 1851. She was born in Menard Co., 111., Aug. 11, 1829 ; her parents came from Green County, Ky., in a very early day. From this union there are two children Ephraim, born Feb. 1, 1853, and Melinda, born March 26, 1855. Mr. Propst is a stanch Republican in politics and a firm believer and advocate of its principles.

LEVI PROPST, carpenter and joiner, Sweetwater; was born in Greenbrier Co., W. Va., Aug. 9, 1828. His grandfather, Nicholas Propst, was a native of Germany, and came to Sugar Grove in 1829. John, his eldest son and the father of Levi, came to Menard Co. in 1840. Here our subject passed his youth assisting his father on the farm. His father taught him to read and write, and this was all the education young Propst received. Later in life, however, he applied himself to his books and became quite proficient. At 20 years of age, he began to learn the carpenter's trade, a business he has followed all his life except eight years, when he was engaged in the drug business in the village of Sweetwater, during which time he was also village Postmaster. He was married to Miss Elizabeth J. Swank April 10, 1851. She was born in Putnam Co., Ind., July 1, 1829. From this union there were six children, three of whom
are now living Elzina, David E. and James A. The names of those deceased are Mary E., Annie E. and Clara E. Mr. Propst is a Democrat and a self-made man.

Recipe
I have posted this before, perhaps in 2009, but with fall upon us people like pumpkin recipes.  This is so good to take to a wiener roast or when you have guests.

PUMPKIN PIE CAKE BARS
1 large can pumpkin (made into pie as directed on the can)
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped nuts
2 sticks margarine
Make pie as directed on can.  (Note:  you can use the Libby's Pumpkin Pie mix with the spices already in it, but the result will be thinner bar compared to the regular pumpkin without the spices).  Pour into greased 10 x 14 lasagna type pan or a jelly roll pan.  Sprinkle DRY cake mix over the pumpkin pie evenly.  Sprinkle nuts over dry cake mix.  Melt 2 sticks of margarine and pour over top of cake and nuts.  Bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes.  Test with toothpick.    Serve with cool whip on top....Yummy!


Thought For The Day

Children are the living messages
we send to a time we will not see.
--Neil Postman

When you go to a Chinese restaurant, do you always look forward to the fortune cookie?  I know I do! (And the almond cookies too!)  Some people are drooling over the sushi or the sweet and sour soup, but those aren't exactly my cup of tea.  I love the fried rice and all of the dishes with shrimp and Mongolian beef is a favorite.  But I just can't wait to get the meal over with to open my fortune cookie....and I even like the taste of the fortune cookie.

Some of those fortune messages are so crazy and funny I just have to laugh.  One time I got one which said "That wasn't chicken".  I about choked on that one.....was someone being really funny or was it true!!!  Another one I got was "A good friendship is often more important than a passionate relationship" .... since when I would ask!!  Another one was "You will be hungry again in one hour."

One day I opened my cookie and there was the ultimate fortune cookie message which had me rolling on the floor laughing.  It said "Confusius say: if you think you are going to sum up your whole life on this little paper, you're crazy."

These messages on those little bits of paper can be a great conversation starter.  They can make you laugh from the bottom of your stomach.  When you think about it, it's the only food I can think of that is a lesson in literacy...all contained in that tiny little cookie. 

I can't wait for my next visit to a Chinese place .... just so I can get the fortune cookies......maybe they will give me two so I can have double the fun!  Too bad Greenview doesn't have a Chinese joint!!



To my readers, next week vacation week for us.  I will be back on October 10.  See ya!

This blog is protected under copyright laws.

No comments: