Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hello....Do You Deliver Pizza??

Don't be surprised by who delivers your pizza!
Out in Greenviewland, we don't have to worry about who will deliver our next home delivery pizza.....because it isn't gonna happen.  Can you imagine calling up the local bar/lounge in Greenview or even the local Casey's and saying "I want that pizza delivered!"  "Sure you do....in your eye!"  Or "when pigs fly" would be a better response.

I remember living in Springfield and getting pizza delivery...I loved it.  It was so cool to be able to call in my order and in a short time, the delivery was at my door.  If I had only a big paper money bill, I would tell them on the phone so the delivery person could bring enough change for me to pay for the pizza and of course, give him a tip.  But a nice tip was worth it!

When I lived in Springfield I also remember that the local phone company assigned me a former Pizza Restaurant phone number that hadn't been used in years.  But..... people must have had that number written down from years before because I got all kinds of calls.  And, when I told the caller this number wasn't the pizza place number, they were rude and told me to take the dang order, so I started doing that....I took their pizza order, being polite all the time I was doing it.  I even gave some people a discount code so they would get $3.00 or $4.00 off the pizza.  I only did this when I ran across a really nasty person.....can you imagine what they did when they got to the pizza place....not only did they not have a pizza ready, they didn't get the discount price either.  A couple of times people would call me back and cuss me out, but I always told them that I tried to warn you this wasn't the pizza place number and that I was recording their call and have every intention to report them to the phone company.  After a while I stopped getting those pizza order calls....thank goodness.

Recently I ran across a new type of pizza delivery.  I imagine it's hard for this delivery entity to make change, so the right change would be essential.  Since our local establishments don't have pizza delivery available, perhaps the use of this type of delivery would be feasible.....long distance wouldn't be impossible...so rural people could maybe  take advantage of the new and streamlined pizza delivery.  Folks meet the newest and latest pizza delivery entity......



Old Tyme Greenview

1949 - The 1967 GHS graduation class members were born ..... YAY I'm here.  Fox Hunters was organized - hunter had drives and bagged as many as 29 a couple of times in order to drive the county of the pests.  The Linda Theater opened with the first show "On a Sunday Afternoon".  The theater seats 450.  The businessmen voted to close shop on Wednesday afternoons.  Bob Conkling bought the Sam Tapscott barber shop,  Claude Barnett was operating the locker.  In July the Markee Grill opened in the Linda Theater.  The contract work for the electrical work at the new high school was awarded the Durham Electric Co. of Springfield for $14,860.  The Never Grow Old, a group of women, none of whom was under 70 years of age, was organized for fun and fellowship.  July 5 was the new ground breaking for the new high school with the cornerstone laid on November 18.  Don Riley opened an insurance agency in his home and George Merrihew became associated with Harry Mathews' insurance business.  Schurman, Rodimer and Hughes were a new building contracting firm.

1950 - Band Parents organized.  They pay Mr Garlinger for summer teaching of the youngsters.  The hot lunch program was instituted in the Greenview schools with 278 meals served per day.

1951 - John Dirks and Edgar Eldridge embarked on a partnership with a trucking business.  Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Hudspeth opened a restaurant.  The Amvets Post was organized.  Service of two passengers trains though Greenview was discontinued, only two a day now.  The country schoolhouses were sold at auction.

1952 - New uniforms for the band were purchased at a cost of $2500.  Polio struck the thrice in the family of Elton Ennis.  Wardella Woodrum died of the bulbar type on September 13, Wardella's son David was in an iron lung for weeks and was left with a disability of the spine and Richard, Wardella's other son, recovered completely.  A new fire truck was purchased for the district at a cost of $10,050.  In October another polio victim, Norman Claypool died after one week's illness.  Mr. and Mrs. P.C. Carter was operating the locker which they took over from Robert Gaddie.


Girls Basketball Team 1911-12


Another Picture of the girls basketball
team 1911-12.  Note the school behind them, this is the school
which records show was torn down in 1915....see picture below of the school.


Greenview school torn down in 1915.

Recipe


Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies



2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
16 tablespoons margarine, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
48 ROLO candies
2 Tablespoons of sugar for tops of cookies
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. (for when you're ready to bake them- they do need to chill first)
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Mix in eggs, one at a time, until combined, add vanilla. Add in dry ingredients, beating until just combined. Cover and place bowl into the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours. (you need to chill or else it's too sticky)
3. Use a teaspoon and get it really full.... unscoop it onto your hand and create a hole in the dough...put the Rolo in and cover with the cookie. I usually added another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon here just to get the Rolo completely encased in the chocolate cookie batter.
4. Roll the cookies round and dip the TOPs only in the 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.


Thought For The Day
I shall allow no man to belittle my soul
by making him hate me.
--Booker T. Washington

Have you ever wondered what was going on when you were born.  I did, so I used google and found some really cool things which went on in my birth year.

The best music was "Some Enchanted Evening"; "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"; "Ghost Riders in the Sky"; "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend"; and "Kiss Me Kate" soundtrack.

In the theater was South Pacific, Death of a Salesman, and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Federal spending was just at $38.84 billion with the Federal debt at $252.6 billion.  WOW!

Unemployment was at 3.8%.

Cost of a first class stamp was $.03

Harry Truman was the President and Alben W. Barkley was the Vice-President.  The population of the USA was 149, 188,130.  Life expectancy was 68 years.

There are some things I like.....the low spending and debt amounts, the low stamp price and the unemployment rate.  I'm sure glad life expectancy has gone up.  I remember hearing all of those songs as a kid and every once in a while, hear them on internet.   I firmly believe that it's a cool thing to know something about what was going on when a person's  parents brought the person into this world.  It gives you an idea of what your parents had to face back then.  Be it good or bad.

It had to have been good when they saw my sweet face! Chuckle-Chuckle!!




Rating indicator is at the bottom of the post.  This blog and all posts are protected under copyright laws and cannot be used or reproduced.

No comments: