Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dang Shoogly Table

You say you don't have a shoogly table?  Well you are lucky!  Those dang shoogly tables are a nasty bunch. 
I bet there are a few of you who don't know what a shoogly table is and have already called up another internet window to do a search.  So, should I explain "shoogly" or not??  I will tell you but only for those lazy peeps who know that I'll tell them so they don't have to expend energy looking it up.

I love using words.  And especially ones which aren't often used.  So, instead of bleeping on about my "wobbly" table, I used shoogly.  It basically means the same as wobbly and it sounds much more sophisticated.  Shoogly can also mean unsteady, unstable, very shaky.  This wonderful and whimsical word comes from Scottish dialect.  Having a bit of Scotch in me (the blood not the whiskey)  makes it seem appropriate that I use shoogly when I describe this dang table which sits on my porch. 

I've come to the conclusion that shoogly tables should not be allowed on this earth.....even when it means tossing it to the wind and saying "sayonara" you stupid shoogly table.  Oh table of mine, I'm tired of putting a folded piece of cardboard under your leg.   Adios.....goodbye.....ciao....au revoir.....farewell.....off the porch you go and to the rubbish bin.  NO more spilled coffee, bowls sliding off the table and constant shakiness.  YAY. 

Today has been a learning lesson for us all.....you learned that shoogly meant wobbly, shaky, unstable, etc.  You learned that shoogly tables just aren't good for anything.  You learned how to say goodbye to my shoogly table in about six languages.  And you learned that shoogly is not a dance like it sounds....but the word "shoogle" means to rock and shake so that could be a dance!  Now that is education for the day. 

Until the next shoogly table raises its ugly head, so long!


Old Stuff
(click on the pictures to get an enlarged view)


The old train depot on the 10th street corridor in Springfield.
1971 photo.



The Cliff's Motel
At Routes 4, 36 and 54 West
Springfield




1950's Matchbook from
Norside Restaurant, 619 N. Grand Ave. E.




Mid 1950's postcard of the Stuckey's 30 miles south of
Springfield on old Route 66.  I remember going to this
one many many times to get the pecan rolls.  Not many pictures left of this landmark.


A person recently asked me if I had a picture of an old store which sat on the corner of Curtis Blacktop and Route 123 just east of Petersburg.  This person was in their early 70's and remembered the place.  Not only did I not have a picture, I didn't remember any buildings which would represent a store at this site.  I finally found that indeed there was an old store and a gas station on that intersection,  operated by a person with a last name of Flumiydoal.  It was referred to as "Floomeydoodles Corner".  Later it was operated by Haskell Pike and his son Ed.  They had a trucking company and sold gas there.  If anyone has a picture of this place, please contact me.

Not being able to easily reconstruct history, strengthens my thoughts that each person should document their and their family history.....old pictures, documentation or an actual story of your life will be invaluable to those who in 50 years might want to know what your life was like.  Take the time to document your life story!


 Thought For The Day
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to
sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers



Many years ago I wrote the following "free verse" poetry (or maybe it is prose).  I recently found this once again and thought I would share it.



Greenview In The Mist

The mist falls upon the fields.
It leaves an eerie cloud that floats on the surface.
Rural America looks like London for a while.

Turkeys, deer and field mice play on the ground.
But, there is no one to see them in their frolic in the fields.
Just God and those who have left this earth can see.

The mist rises as the sun does the same.
You can see that Greenview remains.
A little more shabbier than before, but still there.

A mist cannot erase the past or the future.
But, it can cover the ugliness of the current day.
Then the mist is gone and the ugliness exists.

Just a lonely town.  Full of inhabitants and life.
But, lonely just the same.
It will survive.  It has for a long time.

Greenview has once again come out of the mist.
The field mice, the turkeys and the deer still roam.
And the people are still there....for now.

                                          The End


Remembering Greenview
and those veterans who lost
their lives.  Our town's memorial arch.


Thank you for coming to my blog.
All rights reserved.

No comments: