Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mr. Clean Where Are You?

Calling Mr. Clean!

Oh those good old days when we only had a choice of a few cleaning products.  And one of them was my good old buddy Mr. Clean.  He was my hero as a teenager who had to clean a huge house all by myself.  He was strong and made the house smell like it was really clean.

I remember when his owner company ran a contest to give him a first name.  I entered that contest and thought for sure I had a winner.  My entry was "Maximo".  I thought it fit him perfectly because Mr. Clean did the maximum in cleaning.  But did I win....NO I DIDN'T!  The person who submitted "Veritably" so Mr. Clean was then known as Mr. Veritably Clean.  Yuk.  Mine was much better.

I know that Mr. Clean was a sexy, tanned and muscular and very bald.  It was that earring that was so attractive.  It set him apart from all of the "boys" I went to school with.  (Sorry boys!)

Then a few years later, I went to buy a new bottle of Mr. Clean and lo and behold he had whiskers and a black eye.  I never did figure that out and soon he went back to his usual self.  But over the years he went from smelling of pine to smelling of lemon.....but he still cleaned really well.  And then in latter years,  he brought out his famous Mr. Clean magic erasers and wow they were wonderful.

Through the years about a million different cleaners were brought out, manufactured by about as many makers.  Some with bleach, some without, some with the latest in antibacterials and some with oxygen built in.   And, those with antibacterials killed all of the good sewage eating bacteria when it went down the drain so that people's cesspools and sewage systems were out of whack.  Some cleaned well and some didn't.  Some bleached out the item being cleaned and some just sat there on your rag doing nothing!

So where did that leave me?  A choice of about a million cleaners or could it be a trip back to Mr. Maximo Clean...  yes it was....the cleaner of all time.  Mr. Clean will always be Maximo to me and I will call him that until eternity.  I buy his bottle with his cute picture on it......the funny thing is he didn't age in his picture but I did.  Mr. Clean you save my day....that is when I get motivated to clean...which ain't often!




Old Pictures
(click on pictures to get an enlarged view)


5th street south from Adams....1939
Trivoli theater can be seen.
First of all was called the Vaudette, then became the Lyric and then
became the Trivoli and closed in 1954.
The building was later demolished.





Downtown Springfield,
6th Street looking north from Adams intersection.
The Strand Theater on the right, which opened in 1921 and closed in the 1960's to make way for a new bank building for the original Marine Bank.  Barkers is on the right.



A last picture of the Orpheum Theater on north 5th street, downtown Springfield 1965, right before the wrecking ball tore it down to make room for a bank.




Springfield's Eisner Store 1965



Old 1911 postcard of Springfield, looking north on fifth downtown.




Downtown Springfield
Melody Lane Record Shop
125 North 6th Street
which I think was on the west side of
north 5th, just north of Washington....and perhaps about
across the street from the old Coney Island.


Quote For The Day

A slip of the foot you may soon recover,
but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.



Yes I admit it, I was once a vegetarian.  Not a vegan as I know I've told you before, but a lover of veggies.  It didn't matter what kind of veggie, I loved it.  I made that fat burning soup made out of veggies and would eat and eat that soup, but I guess I did something wrong as it didn't really burn any fat from the body.  But the tomatoes did make my tummy burn from too much acid.

I continued to eat those veggies until I felt myself leaning.  I couldn't straighten up.  I kept leaning no matter what I did.  Then I figured it out......it was all those dang vegetables I was eating.  I was leaning toward the sun just as any vegetable will do.  I had become a vegetable.  I had to quit leaning so, I started eating meat again and quit leaning towards the sun.  The moral of this story is:  be careful when you become a large volume vegetable eater, you don't want to become a vegetable (excuse the pun).



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts protected under copyright laws)

Hope you visit again!

No comments: