Monday, May 21, 2012

Mirepoix Is Cookin!

Mirepoix today....being French today .... hmmm!!

Those Frenchmen will get you going.  They love to cook and love to smooch and love to hug and just want to love......all day long.  But do I have a Frenchman around this house..???  Heck no.....I'm the one who has French (Ferree or LaFierre orginally) blood running though my viens.  And Welsh, and Irish, and Scotch,  and German, and maybe some Indian along the way.  But oohh la la, it's that French blood that steams up the windows and gets me going like a little steam engine.

And when that happens, I want to cook with a French flair.  I want to make Mirepoix (for those who don't know what that is, it's a stock base with celery, onions, carrotts, and sometimes beef, or ham or other meats).   It's rich and wonderful for dipping your "French Bread" like an au jus.........I think you probably know what au jus is.....and especially if you've ever had a French Dip Roast Beef Sandwich on a hard roll....so Mirepoix is rich in flavor like au jus but with veggies swimming around in the au jus.

I also want to make a Chicken Marinated in  Rosemary and White Wine (Coq au vin blanc).  Yummy.....and this really gets my blood rolling.  A Creme Brulee or my special Brulee Flan cake would be wonderful as dessert but my hind end can't take dessert so I'll stick to the other stuff.  Who wants to love on a huge old French person.

So now you know ...... I'm sitting here bored and hungry and feeling the French blood pounding through my viens.  Since I haven't been shopping yet this week, Mirepoix is about the best I can do.   I can make anything with Mirepoix!   So I'm getting my ingredients together before cooking (French term for this is "mise en place") Come on over....soup's on in a bit.

Old Thoughts

Back years ago, in the 60's, we had a language of our own.  Mama and Pops didn't always agree with what we said or what we had to say, but we said it anyway.  That was our way back then......but, back then, we didn't have drugs affecting us like some kids of today.  Sure we might have drank a bit of liquor now and again and went to lover's lanes around the area and played pranks and a few jokes and even sometimes were a bit ornery, but we were kids.  And we still have those "kid" thoughts and memories.  Let's jog the old memory...........

It's a gas........lot of fun.
Go Ape.....go irate.
Church key.....a thing to open a bottle of beer.
Blew the doors off......racing someone and beating them!
Brewski.....a bottle of beer.
Burn Rubber....spin the tires on a hot and fast car.
Smokem.....burn rubber.
Don't have a cow.....don't go ape.
Spazzin out or Spaz.....someone acting retarded.
Sweat Hog....a fat chick.
Three on the Tree.....3 speed manual transmission on the column.
Three Two's or Three Dueces...... three two barrel carburetors.
Cop a feel....feeling up a girl (likely on purpose)
Book out....leave the area.
Rat fink....a tattle tale.
Greaser.... guy who used Brylcream or Butch Wax and hair greasy.
Greasy Spoon....cafe serving greasy burgers.
Jesus Boots....sandals.
Lay it on me....speak to me and tell me what's going on.
Lay some scratch....burn rubber....spin the tires.
Nifty.....cool.
Built like a brick shithouse.....well built and pretty girl.
Souped up....car with modified engine.
Take a wiz....urinate.
Zits....pimples.

How many of these were in the far parts of your brain?  Maybe a lot of them......it's been years you say!  It does you good to think about the drag races and burning rubber out on the blacktop.  Or maybe the drag races up and down the Middletown or Curtis blacktops.  Or, maybe out drinking brewski and using a church key and then stopping to take a wiz.  It was our life back then.

I'm sure I can think of other slang we used back then.  We'll do this again at a future date.  Until then, don't spaz out, but do have fun if you're out in your hot car.....and "smokem" a few times.  It'll make your blood run hot! 


Quote For The Day
We rarely confide in those
who are better than we are.
--Albert Camus

If animals could talk, what do you suppose they would say to us? 

Would your favorite man's best friend call you names and yell at you because you got home five hours late.....remember you best friend had to pee and was mighty hungry for his supper.

Perhaps your kitty cat would say, clean my dang cat litter.  It stinks to high heaven and you don't even care!

How 'bout those fish.  You don't want to forget your water pets.  Maybe your fish are tired of swimming around in muck.  Muck from too much food being put in the fish tank, or maybe too much fish poop because you haven't bothered to clean the tank in 6 months.

The animals we live with might not be able to talk, but I bet our ears would burn if they could!



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(all rights reserved)

Hope to see you again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Madam, votre blog est tres bien

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

merci beaucoup monsieur