Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dear Diary

Diaries can be addictive!

Dear Diary,
Today is the first of the series of diary entries I'm going to write in this little red book.  I hope it means I will continue to write within your pages, but who knows.  If it doesn't rain, storm, winds blow at 100 mph, snow a foot or is dry as a bone, I might not have a thing to write about from the house upon the hill, in the country, in the rural town of Timbucktoo, Illinois.

Today's post will be all about how it didn't rain yesterday or the day before .... in fact it hasn't rained for about 8 or 9 days and my plants are beginning to wilt out here on the hill.  But the grass is still growing.....now how does that happen?  Grass seems to grow even though it doesn't rain. 

So.....diary....what am I supposed to write about?  Give me some hints.! Should I say that I am having pork chops and banana jello tonight?  Or should I say that it's going to be 79 degrees today. 
Wow....I think I lead a very boring life when I can't think of a thing to write in my daily diary other than I'm going to dig some more holes to plant some more plants.  That's about as interesting as picking your nose in a crowd.  NOT!

Maybe I should just forget about the diary or maybe I should just plan to write my daily routine in your pages every day.  Ok...that's what I'll do until I find out what things I should write about. 

1.  Got out of bed.
2.  Went to the bathroom.
3.  Fed the dog.
4.  Took my medicines including the diuretics.
5.  Gave the dog her medicines
6.  Went to the bathroom and let the dog out to pee.
7.  Went to the bathroom and let the dog out to pee.
8 - 25.  Went to the bathroom and let the dog out to pee.
26.  Watched television.
27.  Turned on the dish washer.
28.  Watched television.
29.  Let the dog out to pee.
30.  Started thinking about dinner.

Well.....I can see this is going to be boring as heck.  The same thing day in and day out.  My life ain't a fun life like some peeps. 

So.....little red book, your pages will soon be full of the same things.  You might rebel and perhaps your pages will stick together so I can't write.  Oh well.....time to go.....see you tomorrow little red diary.....maybe tomorrow will be better and more exciting. 

Love,
Me

P.S. Geeze....nothing to write about but I filled 3 diary pages.  What's that all about??!!


Old Greenview

One night during the winter of 1930, Axel Lundberg's home was entered by two robbers who then compelled him to go with them next door to the home of Albert and Molly Yelm, where they took a bag, containing $60.00, departing without leaving a clue as to their identity.

In 1931, for the first time there were women's names on the roll for petit jurors drawn for circuit court in February.

On March 23, four gunmen pulled off a daylight bank robbery in Greenview, getting away with cash and securities from the Greenview State Bank.  They were caught, but Rocco Siliano and Sicitoni, two of the men implicated were discharged for lace of evidence against them, and Lucci was indicted.  He gave bond and was released pending trial.  On August 9, 1931, Angelo Lucci, the Greenview Bank robber, who was out on bond, was shot and killed at Sherman by Tony Rick.  Lucci's bondsmen were released and the case closed.  Rocco Siliano, one of the men implicated in the bank robbery but released, was shot to death in Broadwell in 1933.

The Chicago and Alton branch of the railroad was purchased in 1931 by the B. and O.  No change was made in the office here.  A serious accident occurred that spring when seventeen cars were derailed four miles north of the village and a young Mexican, Miguel Alvarez, was killed.

The Greenview Milling and Grain Company, under management of Clyde McClintick, was organized in 1931, with offices at the Beggs and Hatch Elevator.

The American Legion replaced the old gravel walk in the park, laying a wide walk of concrete.  The village board voted to allow the Legion free use of the park at all times. 

The pergola was painted and part of the chain hitch rack was removed from the east side of the park.

The fire department members were voted double pay when called to another town on duty - $8.00 for the chief and $6.00 for each member.

The Marine Bank of Springfield lost its $100,000.00 mortgage suit against B. F. Marbold and H. E. Pond, trustee.

The Greenview State Bank closed its doors in January, 1932, as did the banks in neighboring towns, on account of the business depression.  In November, Harry Aden of Petersburg was appointed to act as receiver of the Greenview State Bank.

Corn planting was delayed by wet weather, and the Sangamon River was the highest in seven years.  Wheat prices were good - $.96 to $1.05.


Quote For The Day
America is a country that doesn't know where it is going
but is determined to set a speed record getting there.
--Laurence J. Peter




Food too salty.  Too dirty.  Bugs in the restroom.  Floor is horribly dirty.  You stick to the booth seats.  Portions too small.  Greasy spoon.  Got gastric acid.  Puked.  Diarrhea.

Sound familiar?  It probably does.  And might be the reason(s) you don't go back to a watering/ eating hole.

I can't seem to find a really all around great eating place in this area.....and I have been to about each and every one.  TGIF Friday's and Logan's Roadhouse (East Peoria) are a couple of ones I go to more than once.....but there aren't too many that gets my return business.

Perhaps some place, old or new,  will start serving something interesting like little dirty birdy feet, fried canary wings, or snake eyeballs .... then, I can go try these delicacies to see if this place can become my own bestest and most favorite of them all.  If you know of a new place or one of your mostest and bestest let me know.....I'm always on the lookout.



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(all rights reserved)

Hope to see you again soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

C&A sold the railroad thru Greenview to the B&O? Not sure that I'm believing that as it was the GM&O when we were growing up...and the GM&O was what had once been the C&A (Chicago and Alton) expanded to Mobile and points south

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

C&A sold the railroad thru Greenview to the B&O? Not sure that I'm believing that as it was the GM&O when we were growing up...and the GM&O was what had once been the C&A (Chicago and Alton) expanded to Mobile and points south

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected...C&A was sold to B&O in 1931, then later the courts spun off the Alton Railroad, which later became the GM&O

Ken Dirks

doll lady said...

So are we ok on the history with your last post??? I simply copied what the scrapbook said! Carla