Monday, March 5, 2012

Angie's List and Craig's List ... What's next?

Lists all over the place.

As this person looksthrough sites on the internet, I found lists.  Craig's list is the most popular in our house.  I've never used Angie's list, but I've heard it's a good list to find service companies.  It would probably be my luck that if I used Angie's List to find a service company, that company would send a Charles Manson type person to do my work and never would I again be around to use a list of any kind....my lists would be no more.

I make lists for everything. There are two reasons for this little idiosyncrasy of mine.  One reason is so that i remember there is a list which contains stuff that I don't want to forget to do and the other reason is so that I don't forget what the something is that needs to be accomplished....kind of a double check I suppose.

I have a list to take to the grocery store on which I write stuff down as I discover I need it.  Then there is a list to tell me what we're going to have for dinner each night of the week.  The next list is what I need to do to make sure my cleaning schedule doesn't get mixed up so that I don't unnecessarily clean the bathroom two days in a row.  The next list is laundry......dark clothes today and whites tomorrow.  A list to tell me what planned post topics for this blog and other groups are on the schedule although I don't do the actual post until the day it's going to post....I just make a list of ideas and topics so that I don't spend several hours thinking about a topic.  I almost forgot my list of appointments....which is very important.  Then there is the list of birthdays and other important calendar days....I make an actual list as I probably would forget where I put the actual calendar with the days marked.

The lists hang on the refrigerator along with about 50 million other pieces of paper.  I'm definitely the paper queen when it comes to hanging "stuff" on the refrigerator.....on the front, on the sides and potato chip bags on the top.  I definitely need to make a list and on that list, put cleaning the paper from the "icebox".  Maybe I'll make that list today.....and maybe I won't....

Abraham Lincoln Time Line
This comes from the logs and diaries and documents the daily things Lincoln did.  This particular segment is from April 1860.  In order to make it fit in this post, the font is a small one...sorry.

April 1, 1860  -  Lincoln receives $15 by express from Homer, Ill. He does not know who sent it, but suspects "Mr. Patterson to whom I loaned that amount a few weeks ago.

April 2, 1860  -  Lincoln is in court, but afterwards delivers speech at Waukegan "at the earnest solicitation of citizens of Lake County."

April 3, 1860 -  After court Lincoln visits Evanston as guest of his old friend Julius White, harbormaster and member of Chicago Board of Trade, informally receives at White's home, and is serenaded.

April 4, 1860 -  Johnston v Jones & Marsh court case ends. Jury retires at 1 P.M. and five hours later brings in verdict for defendants, Lincoln's clients.  He collects $350 "fee in this case and signs receipt.

April 5, 1860 - Lincoln returns to Springfield, and deposits $325 in his bank account.

April 6, 1860 - Lincoln attacks his accumulated correspondence, writing six letters. He tells R. M. Corwine, Ohio delegate to Chicago convention, his opinion of presidential politics in Illinois. Seward would be best for northern part, worst for southern half. Chase is in same situation. Reverse applies to Bates. About his own chances Lincoln feels disqualified to speak. He thanks William Gooding of Lockport, Ill. for his letter, and tells William Hobbs and William Hanna of Bloomington that he prefers a vacation from speech-making. If they insist, he will speak April 10, 1860. He writes family history to Richard V. B. Lincoln of Pennsylvania. He relates circumstances of $200 fee for New York speech to Cornelius McNeill of Middleport [Watseka], Ill., Republican editor who is worried about press gossip that Lincoln "charged" for making speech. He tells John Pickering, Edwards County Republican, where copies of his New York speech can be obtained.

April 7, 1860 -  Elated by Republican victory in recent city election, Lincoln writes Trumbull optimistic letter. He declines invitation of John M. Carson to lecture before Harrison Literary Institute of Chicago. "What time I can spare from my own business this season I shall be compelled to give to politics." He tells F. C. Herbruger that he cannot lecture at Harrison Literary Institute of Philadelphia. "I am not a professional lecturer." He writes Harvey G. Eastman of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. that he is unable to send photograph, but Eastman can "easily get one at New York. While I was there I was taken to one of the places where they get up such things."

April 10, 1860 - Lincoln speaks in Phoenix Hall. "Mr. Lincoln is probably the fairest and most honest political speaker in the country," Pantagraph comments (April 11, 1860). "While he convinces the understanding by arriving at legitimate and unavoidable sequences, he wins the hearts of his hearers by the utmost fairness and good humor."

April 13, 1860 -  Lincoln reaches home at night.

April 14, 1860 - Lincoln writes to Delahay again. "I see by the despaches that . . . Kansas has appointed Delegates and instructed them for Seward. Dont stir them up to anger, but come along to the convention, & I will do as I said about expenses." He writes Solomon Sturges, Chicago banker, that he has not yet determined whether to attend convention, and cannot say whether he can accept his hospitality. Lincoln discusses his presidential chances in letter to James F. Babcock of New Haven, Conn., and lists 11 "confidential friends" working to nominate him. He writes letter of introduction for Dr. Theodore Canisius.

April 15, 1860 - Lincoln deposits $100 in Marine & Fire Insurance Co.

April 21, 1860 - To Hawkins Taylor, supporter who expects to attend Chicago convention, Lincoln writes: "I am glad there is a prospect of your party passing this way to Chicago. Wishing to make your visit here as pleasant as we can, we wish you to notify us as soon as possible, whether you come this way, how many, and when you will arrive."

April 22, 1860 - Lincoln makes $150 loan, at 10 per cent interest, to J. K. and Thomas Lewis of Springfield.

April 26, 1860 - To "large and intelligent audience" at Cook's Hall, Lincoln repeats his lecture on "Discoveries and Inventions."

April 27, 1860 - Lincoln annotates defendants' answer in Roberts v. Stuart & Edwards, Sangamon Circuit Court case.

April 29, 1860 - Lincoln writes to U.S. Senator Lyman Trumbull, of Illinois, regarding the upcoming presidential election. Trumbull asked for Lincoln's opinion on the Republicans' chances of carrying Illinois against the Democrats' presumptive nominee U.S. Senator Stephen A. Douglas. Lincoln responds, "I will be entirely frank. The taste is in my mouth a little; and this, no doubt, disqualifies me, to some extent, to form correct opinions." Regarding U.S. Supreme Court Justice John McLean, Edward Bates, of Missouri, and U.S. Senator William H. Seward, of New York, Lincoln writes, "I think McLean is stronger . . . than either S. or B; and I think S. the weakest of the three."  

April 30, 1860 - Lincoln receives letter from C. M. Allen of Indiana delegation to Chicago convention.  He writes $10 check to "Isaac Sisson."

Note:  In the future I will post a different month in the life of Abe Lincoln.

Thought For The Day
I am extraordinarily patient
provided I get my own way in the end.
--Margaret Thatcher


I saw a news report where people are getting ready for the end of the world this year.  They're stocking up on foods and beverages with enough to last for a year....just because the Mayan's calendar didn't go past December 21, 2012.

This makes me wonder that if it's really the end of the world why do these people need to stock up on supplies.  I have a better plan for my money right now....have fun and have a party to celebrate the so called end of the world.  Let's laugh and have a good time before it's too late.

When I begin to analyze (that's dangerous believe me) the thoughts on why there were no more calendar days past December 21, 2012, my personal feelings center around a couple of things.  First of all, did anyone consider that the Mayan got tired of working on a tedious job....and rightfully so if he/she had to use stone tablets and engrave with a chisel type instrument.....I bet his hands hurt and he finally just threw in the chisel and said the heck with it....I ain't doing no more chiselling so the calendar ends right now!

One also has to consider that the Mayan calendar maker might have been making the calendar for so long that he died of old age.....and no other Mayan wanted to do that job.  Thus...the end of the calendar. 

I would like to know who is so old on this planet that they talked to the original Mayans who supposedly got the world in an uproar about the world ending.  Was their history cast in stone or did some reader of the stars come up with this theory.  I personally think my theories are just as viable as other history people.  I think the calendar maker might have jsut up and died before he got to 2025 or 2050 or the year 3000.  So there...!!

I don't plan to stock up on food or beverages any more than I normally do.  I might have enough to last a month or so at any one time so don't bother coming to my house on December 22, 2012 unless you're bringing the makings of a party.  We can then party to the end.



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(it's protected under copyright laws and I have a shyster lawyer too)


Hope to see you soon.

No comments: