Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Time Will Tell

New Time Change Has Messed With Me.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this recent time change has me flustered and I really feel out of sorts.  I've gone through a lifetime of time changes from springing forward to falling backward and none really bothered me until I got to this  recent one.

I'm sleepy at the wrong time.  I'm not hungry when dinner time comes.  I wake up at the wrong time since what was my old time to wake up, is now an hour off..  I can't see my feet going down the dark staircase in the morning since it's darker when I get up.  I feel like I have jet lag and I've not gone anywhere.  My mood has even changed.....geeze.  And to top it off.....I didn't know the official clock changer of the family didn't change the clock in my car so yep I was late getting somewhere......so that even messed me up further.

I guess my internal clock is a strong one.....and it always has been really good at getting me up and at 'em at the right time....but not these days.  The old chronobiological system has been messed with and needs to somehow come around to adjusting to something different.  I don't know how to adjust so I'm hoping that my body will eventually get used to it and adjust on it's own. 

But I must say that I do like the additional "light" during  the evening time hours....and the unusual warm air too.  It's a real treat.  So now I'm telling my old body to get used to it chick, because it ain't going to change until November 4, 2012.  So take a chill pill and cool your chronobiological systems and like it! Ok ok.

Old Time Things From My Memory

I remember the centennial .... 100 year Greenview celebration .... in 1957.  A late day storm came up and my sister rushed us into the old Legion building.  We were standing in the front window looking out when a huge bolt of lightening struck the tree by where the ponies were. Unfortunately a young man  by the name of Neil Dorgan was standing there and the lightening hit him also.   I also remember during the centennial that my dad didn't grow a beard for the occasion and onthe first day of the celebration was confined in the corn crib jail....he started a beard that day.

I remember one day I was in the pasture with my dad helping him feed the cattle.  One old steer, who was a contentious old thing, decided he didn't like me and started after me......then the whole herd started following him and I was running for my life.  Just as I could feel the breath of that mean old steer on my backside, I was climbing up the wooden gate.  Whew....made it.

I remember my pet pig whom I'd had for a long time.  My dad decided it was time to take her to market.  I cried the whole trip to St. Louis, looking out the back window of the truck at my lovely pet pig.  I got to go watch our pen of pigs sell.  Then we went to the office and I got my own check for $50.00.  I immediately got happy but I still missed my pet pig.

After the Linda theater shut down, the businessmen in town paid for movies to be shown in the park on a big screen of some sort hanging from the old pavilion.  Everyone brought their blankets and drinks and popcorn and had a good old time.

When I was young, we used to go to Middletown at the Junior High to watch their fireworks show on July 4th.  Their fireworks were spectacular.  In the 1980's Greenview had some of the best fireworks shows in the nation.  Our firemen were so good they were traveling places to put on shows.  They practiced during the year out in the country so we were able to see those practice shows too.  There was a guy who worked for a fireworks operation who I think lived west of town and I think he had something to do with our firemen putting on shows elsewhere.

I remember when there was 4 grocery stores, a Catholic church, a drug store, a laundromat, three different cafes, a pool hall, buying cream from the Waggoners, making butter at Grammies,  cranking the phone to get the operator,  buying penny candy, eating a big ice cream cone and looking for a free cone paper in the bottom, getting a cold icy root beer, getting an A & W root beer in a icy mug, sliding down the grade school spiral fire escape, playing in the rain, leaving our doors unlocked, getting milk from the milkman, having our dry cleaning picked up at our house, having a Fuller Brush vendor man, having a Watkins man.

The days of old are fun to remember.  We will never be able to go back in time, but memories will be with us until the day we die.  Never let us forget that the town supported us when we were growing up.  There is always a helping hand or a huge concern during a loss of life and during other life problems.  Small towns may not have everything that residents have, but it can be satisfying to be part of small town America.

Thought For The Day
It has been my experience that folks,
who have no vices have very few virtues.
--Abraham Lincoln


A favorite poem written by Linda Ann Nickerson:


On the road, I watch my gauge;
Lately, this incites my rage.
Petrol pricing makes me balk.
Maybe I would rather walk!
Still, my dial points to "E,"
As some sheik delights in glee.
Where's the nation's G-N-P?
We're exhausted! Can't you see?

Makes my hemoglobin jump.
As the numbers whirl on by,
My misgivings multiply.
Loading up the four-wheel drive
Sends my funds on a sky dive.
Filling up the minivan
Could feed half Afghanistan.
Still, my dial points to "E,"
As some sheik delights in glee.
Where's the nation's G-N-P?
We're exhausted! Can't you see?
Just to drop the kids at school
Costs an arm and leg in fuel.
Running errands, right in town,
Financing a royal's crown.
Every holiday, the same,
Pricing jumps, just like a game.
Will it ever drop again?
Where's the dollar and the yen?
Still, my dial points to "E,"
As some sheik delights in glee.
Where's the nation's G-N-P?
We're exhausted! Can't you see?
Nations go to war for less;
Pardon me, for I digress.
Conflicts aren't about the oil;
To the victor goes the spoil.
Still, my dial points to "E,"
As some sheik delights in glee.
Where's the nation's G-N-P?
We're exhausted! Can't you see?
Oil barons, heed the call!
Can't you hear us caterwaul?
Will you ratchet up the price?
C'mon, bigwigs! Just play nice!




Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts are protected under copyright laws)

Please come again.

No comments: