Monday, March 12, 2012

Chicken or the Egg .... Is there a first?

Chicken or the egg... which was 1st...tell me!!

The question of which came first the chicken or the egg has haunted people for a long time.  Some say the egg had to be first since the chicken comes from an egg.  But then others argue, then how the heck did an egg get here if there was no chicken to lay the darn egg.  I personally think there must have been an egg and a chicken put on this earth in the first days of life on this planet. 

Of course then it gets me to wondering .....  if that's the case, did us humans hatch from that darn egg which was here first....and that's the reason humans are here on earth....do we really have chickens in our ancestory?  Sometimes I feel like strutting my stuff although I've really never felt like I wanted to crow in the morning when the sun comes up.  I've never gone out in the morning and let out a loud  "cock a doodle doo" at the first sight of the morning light, but of course I'm not a rooster either (I don't think I am).....and I'm not a member of the male sex so I couldn't be a rooster. 

While on this subject, it gets me wondering what the heck does "cock a doodle doo" mean?  I know that doodle means to waste time.  Now comes the "doo" part.  What is a doo?  I looked it up in Websters and it says it's an endearment.  Let me tell you I've never said "doo" as an endearment to anyone as I know that if you add another to doo you get doo doo and that's poop by all meanings in the baby talk world.  After my careful research we now know that part of "cock a doodle doo" means a time wasting endearment. 

Now comes the "cock a" part.  We know that a cock is a male chicken.  And we all know that "a" is the first letter of the alphabet and is a preposition.  So, this leads me to think that the old rooster has his grammar mixed up and the old rooster crow should really be
"a cock doodle doo".  This would then mean that "cock a doodle doo" means a chicken wasting time on endearments in my world of interpretations.  And, yes, when you hear that stupid rooster so early in the morning when you're wanting to sleep, that chicken is really wasting time doing his thing.

I'm glad we got all of that settled.  The egg came first, and us humans crawled out.....we now are related to the chicken and wow I'm glad I have evolved to a human without feathers as I'm allergic to them.  And...... I'm also glad I don't have to get up early with the sun to crow about the morning light.....it's a time waster!

Continuing History Greenview Christian Church
This is from the Greenview's 125th Yr. Book.  Please refer to the previous post on the beginning of this history.

"this marks the turning point in the story of Greenview Christian.  The congregation had its own place of worship.  Charles Smoot was called as the first minister of the reorganized congregation.

As the congregation approached it's fiftieth anniversary in 1919, the building was in need of repairs; and so in 1922, the building was raised and a basement constructed beneath.

In May 1950, a building committee was directed to formulate plans for a new entrance to the church building.

July 1952, the church Board voted to purchase new pews for installation in the remodeled auditorium.  May 3, 1953, a service was held to dedicate the newly remodeled house of worship.

Missionaary meetings and family nights were inaugurated in 1938, meeting the second Wednesday evening of each month.  In 1956, the congregation undertook the support of a living-link missionary.  The church has continued their mission emphasis to the present day, with a monthly budget of approximately $1,000.00.

Easter Sunday, April 14, 1963, the ground breaking services were held and construction began shortly thereafter on a much needed addition to the church.  This was the Educational Building that was dedicated on Rally Day October 6, 1963.  An all-time attendance record was set that Sunday when 256 were in Bible School.

Over the years, the number of young people increased.  Seeing the need, the Church Board hired a Youth Minister in January 1969.  1969 was the centennial year for Greenview Christian.  Special services were held to observe the event.  Richard Robinson was minister and a printed history was made. 

Greenview Christian has close ties with the Christian Nursing Home.  Leo Claypool served on its Board for 10 years from the time of its inception until 1974.  John Sachtleben is now the member from Greenview Christian on the Board.

Four young men of the church had been ordained as ministers of the gospel....Charles Galloway, Charles Edward Johnson, John Naun and Robert Streight.

Construction of the new parsonage was started in the fall of 1976 and was dedicated in the spring of 1977.  The membership now stands at approximately 345.  Over $17,000.00 has been Faith-Promised to world missions for 1982. 

Through the years Greenview Christian Church has sought to continue  "steadfastly in the apostles doctrine", in fellowship, in the breaking of the bread.  Acts 2:42"

This concludes the history contained in the referenced book.  There are other Greenview books which might contain additional information.  At some point in time, perhaps we can again visit the history of this fine Church.

Thought For The Day
Even if we can't be happy,
we must always be cheerful.
--Irving Kristol



I swear every time I go somewhere I about get hit by a girl driving a car, with a cell phone plastered to her ear, and driving about 15 miles an hour over the speed limit.....and of course not paying attention.  And I bet she probably doesn't have insurance and has probably talked to that same person 15 times that day.

I personally don't talk while driving and it's my opinion that no one should unless it's a true emergency and maybe you're on a 911 call. 

I don't want to sound like an old fuddy duddy but these people who have just about hit me turning corners on a red light (person started through when it was yellow and turned red before they left the white line) have been young persons who in the insurance world are known to be horrible drivers....in the insurance world, it's not "if they have a wreck", it's "when they have a wreck".

In one case where a person about hit me, I followed them and they still were talking through a school zone and then a construction zone.  What will it take....for them to kill someone????  Parents take the cell phones away!!  Now!  Just being an old fuddy duddy again!



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(blog and posts are protected under copyright laws)

Hope to see you again!

No comments: