Thursday, March 15, 2012

Prairie Woman Here

Is It Prairie Living or Prairie Existing?

Think about all of the "stuff" our prairie living ancestors had to go through.  Those women were strong.....with all the work they did, they probably had a bit of body odor too.....remember they had no deodorant and good smelling body wash back then like we do these days.  Maybe a bit of juniper berry splash-on after their weekly (shudder) bath.  Of course these women took their baths last and in the same bath water, after the kids and the hubby.  How horrible is that!?!?

But wow could those Prairie women cook and clean and even work in the fields.  And it was expected.  I think most men of those days were pretty adamant that the wives help on the homestead, including out in the fields.  Hmmmmm...I know that would not work at my house in the current day.  I wasn't put on this earth to go out and get my dainty lady fingers all dirty and banged up with farm work.  I wasn't even put on this earth to be a good housekeeper.....so I guess I just wouldn't have fit in the life of a prairie woman back in the days of old. 

When I think of all of the heavy work my ancestor Prairie women did, I commend them.  They were a bunch of women who protected not only their household but also their family.  But was all of the hard work and tedious tasks really living or was it existing?  I think it was existing.......existing is different than living.  But what do I know....I live in the lap of luxury compared to my women ancestors.  Thank Goodness.

Ya Gotta Remember These Things


1957 Chevy



1967 Pontiac GTO    



Wringer Wash Machine


A Coke and a Hot Day and the Ads they brought.



And you can go here to get a whole lot more memories:



Thought For The Day

A good reputation is more valuable than money.
--Publilius Syrus


What is cold cream you might ask?  I still use it but I wonder how many other women do???  Anything to help clean and soften this old shoe leather skin that old people get.  Good old Ponds Cold Cream is still cheap and is still a good product.


I like it because you can use it to clean your face.  Then you can put it on to soften your face and you can even use it on your callused feet and hands and rough elbows.  And if you want to remove scaly skin you can mix it with oatmeal and then wash it off.....the scale comes off and softer skin remains.  And I've never had it remove any part of my skin or body that I didn't want it to remove.  LOL

I don't know if cold cream has other uses like Hemorrhoid Cream does, but I bet it does.  After all who would have ever thought you could use Hemorrhoid Cream for bags under the eyes (use carefully though so it doesn't get in your eyes) or that  Hemorrhoid Cream could be used to shrink a cold sore and pimples.  And..... some people use Hemorrhoid Cream to shrink their wrinkles.  So if this cream can be used for other things, I imagine the delicate ingredients of Cold Cream could likewise be used for something.  Guess I need to experiment.  Who would have ever guessed that Vick's vapor rub works better on Hemorrhoids than Preparation H!!!

Got to go experiment.....hope I don't disappear.



Thanks for coming to my blog.
(this blog and the posts are protected under copyright laws)

Hope you come again soon.








No comments: