Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Thankful

It's time to be thankful for a lot of things.

First of all I must say how thankful I am to my readers of this blog.  It started out in 2009 and I posted for a few months.  Then illness and family crisis situations forced me to quit.  Then in June of this year I re-invented the blog and here we are....still going strong with my reader volume increasing everyday.  At this point I have had over 7,000 reader views since I started and am averaging about 1500 readers a month.  Wow .... that is almost an unbelievable number for a Greenviewanite blog.  I am truly thankful.

A big hug of thanks goes to those who are my friends, both in real life and in cyber life.  I really enjoy conversing by email with those of you who contact me....it is wonderful to renew old friendships from another era in our lives.  To able to put up with me for this long has probably  been hard on you "friends".....thanks from the bottom of my heart.

I think back to my younger years and am thankful that I had the courage to break up with a boyfriend who was not so good for me and when he told me "you'll never find another like me"....well thanks to the angel watching over me, I said "well I hope not.  If I don't want you why would I want someone just like you!" That courage later gave me a family for which I'm so thankful and a wonderful husband whom I have to thank each day just being there to help me with household chores, through illnesses, and to be my sounding board and my soulmate.

The day of Thanksgiving is approaching and each of us should take the time to think about those who have enriched our lives to make us a better person.  Our lifetimes are short and as we reach into the days of our older lives we begin to realize just how short that lifetime really is.  I truly love life and give thanks to God each day that I am able to wake to another morning of life.  Life is good.....and saying thanks is too.

Area Pictures



Logan County Courthouse 1958 in Lincoln.



Logan County Courthouse 1950's in Lincoln



Lincoln 1916 Broadway looking west.




Illinois State Armory Building which was built in 1936 to replace
the State Arsenal Builing which was lost in a fire (see picture below of the State Arsenal Building).  Before the Springfield Convention
Center, basketball games and similar were held in the State Armory.
I remember taking my young children there each year to the Circus.
The building still stands on 2nd street in Springfield.


State Arsenal Building early 1930's (burned and in
1936 the State Armory was built to replace this)






Recipe
A dear friend, Patt, gave me this recipe not long ago.  It is wonderful....I had to adjust the recipe a bit for me, by using the lowest fat content Alfredo Sauce and Turkey Italian sausage but it worked and it was wonderful.

Sausage, Pasta and Broccoli Casserole

jar (1 pound) Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo sauce (canuse low fat)
1/3 cup milk
1 pound SWEET Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled (can use turkey italian sausage)
1 package (9 ounce) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (kind in a jar or can not flakes)
Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine Alfredo Sacue and milk. Stir in sausage, broccoli, noodles, ¾ cup shredded cheese and roasted peppers.  In 13x9 inch baking dish, evenly spread sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.



Thought For The Day
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt


***************

The other day I was thinking about when we used to go shopping in uptown Springfield. My dad used to take us shopping and I think it may have been Thursday evenings they were open later.

I remember going to Myers Bros. because there were so many floors and beautiful things to see. On the way we always passed a store next to Myers Bros. and we would go in and there was a parrott which always said "Hello Harv". It was so cool. My dad knew one of the owners of Myers well so we always went to an office to say hi and he would give me candy. He was a nice man.

At Christmas time the windows of the stores were beautiful. I loved to go to Woolworths. My dad would sit at the coffee counter to eat a piece of pie and would give us kids money to go buy something. I would of course buy a little plastic doll for about 50 cents to a dollar. I loved the smell of Woolworths. It always smelled really good. We would also go to Kresge's and that was fun because it was so big....and a basement too. There was another dimestore I don't remember the name of the dimestore. Back then I jsut loved dimestores....and being from a small town, Springfield was like the shopping mecca of the world to me.

It brings a smile to my face to think back. It's a reminder of my youth.



Come again.  Sorry for the lack of color today and the bigger type size on some parts as I usually use.  I had trouble getting this to post and then half of it didn't post and I had to go in and paste the other into it.  I'm lucky I had saved most of it into another document and didn't lose the entire post. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the store with the parrott was called "Harvey's", a men's store. I also remember that just outside the Myers store to the south, in the lobby where there were elevators, was a shoe shine stand. Also remember the blind gentleman who played the accordion usually sat or stood on the street with his dog just south of the Myers Building.

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

Harvey's was the only place to get Levi;s for years. You know Ken, I saw that blind guy at the state fair quite a few years back. I think you'll agree Carla's post was very good today. I hope she can keep the energy to keep it going.

doll lady said...

Ken...yes it was Harvey's. I thought that was the name but decided to let others comment in case I was wrong. Thanks for the comments.....I still have the energy of an 18 year old....at least for a few hours a day. I've been doing this blog for quite a while and plan to do it for many more moons....God willing. Carla