Thursday, November 10, 2011

Smile and Say Cheese

Always say cheese when taking pictures.

If someone is going to take your picture, they always say "Say Cheese".  I really don't know why they tell you to say that, other than it maybe keeps your lips from forming the most ungodly snarl or frown imaginable.  And, maybe by saying it, some people think "this is so stupid" so they smile or laugh.  I guess some word has to be used,  after all we don't want pictures showing people with a blank stare like someone who is going into a seizure.  And, I suppose the picture doesn't want to show a half wit smile like the Mona Lisa.

But .... why couldn't it have been "cherry pie" or "bubbles" or "chocolate" .... these are things which make us happy or think of happy things.  Cheese sometimes leaves an icky taste in the mouth when you eat it and especially certain kinds of cheeses....kind of like the taste you get in your mouth when smart aleck persons make smart aleck comments when people post things ..... so cheese is not the best word to use in my opinion.

But, I suppose they have been using this "say cheese" since photographs began to be taken. So who am I to think I could change a century old picture taking instruction.  I only have one really mind boggling question for the person who takes pictures.....if you stand before a block of cheese to take a picture of this block of cheese....what word is the the cheese instructed to say???  Or, does it just give a "cheesy grin"? 

 History of Menard and Mason Counties - 1879
The following is a continuation of the early settlement of Menard County from an earlier post during the last week or so.  I copied this from the History of Menard and Mason Counties - 1879.   
********

The Sangamon River flows through the county from south to north, dividing it into almost equal parts. A number of small streams flowing into the Sangamon River and Salt Creek afford an abundance of pure, fresh water for every purpose. The surface of the county is gently undulating, in the main, though for a mile or two back from the river it is somewhat broken. The greater portion of the land, in its native state, was prairie, covered with a rank and
luxuriant coat of grass, and interspersed with a countless variety of wild flowers.

Groves and bodies of timber are interspersed all over its entire area, in ample abundance for all purposes of manufacture and agriculture. Along the Sangamon River, for a distance of a mile and a half, on either side, there is heavy timber ; while on Rock Creek and Indian Creek, are considerable bodies also. In the eastern part of the county are Irish Grove, Bee Grove and Sugar Grove, each large bodies of good timber. On the west side of the river are Little Grove and Clary's Grove, which are also good timber. The principal kinds of timber are black, spotted, burr, white and pin oaks ; elm. ash, walnut, (white and black), hard and soft maple, sycamore, linden or basswood, hickory (white and shell-bark), cottonwood, black and honey locust, pecan, cherry and mulberry.

 The soil is adapted to agricultural pursuits in a very remarkable degree. Not only in the bottom and table lands is the black loam deep and rich, but the uplands are also equally productive. Of the 310.4 square miles, or 198,675 acres of land in the county, there were, in 1878, 168,282 acres in cultivation, against 134,173 acres in 1870. Of this, 63,286 acres were in corn, yielding 1,875,096 bushels. The same year, 1878, there were 8,987 acres in winter
wheat, yielding 125,149 bushels; 891 acres in spring wheat, yielding 6,244 bushels ; 8,352 acres in oats, producing 263,666 bushels ; 10,168 acres in timothy meadow, yielding 14,542 tons of hay ; 303 acres in Irish potatoes, producing 15,620 bushels ; 1.469 acres in apple orchards, yielding 56,157 bushels of apples. The acreage of grain raised in 1878 was not as large as usual, from the fact of the extreme wet weather in the early part of the season, preventing
the cultivation of large amount of the flat and low bottom-land. Beside this, winter wheat has been such an uncertain crop for some years past, that little attention has been paid to it ; but the yield per acre of what was sowed last year being so fine that the acreage the present year is almost double that of 1878, and the quality and yield are both much better. There are a variety of crops raised beside
those named above, but those given are the most important. 

The county is well supplied with the various kinds of stock, and for many years great pains have been taken to improve the quality by securing the best imported breeds, for a number of years, there was great profit in feeding cattle and hogs for the Eastern markets, and many of the cattle raised on the rich pasture-lands of "Little Menard" were shipped to European ports, and proved to be as rich and savory as the boasted beeves of the Old World. For a few years past, however, farmers have found but little profit in this department
of labor, and raising cattle and hogs as a business is falling into desuetude. The price of pasture and the cost of raising corn, together with the Western competition in prices, render the cattle business very uncertain and dangerous, while the prevalence of hog-cholera for several years past, renders the business of hog-raising so dangerous that but little attention is given to it.  In 1878,
consumption, 43,890 pounds of butter, 225 pounds of cheese, 15 gallons of cream and 2,300 gallons of milk. The same year, 18,902
hogs were fatted, the gross weight of which was 4,664,546 pounds ; besides these, there were 22,495 hogs, big and little, died with cholera during the same year, the aggregate weight of which was 1,5>14,421 pounds. The sheep of the county yielded, in 1878, 19,689 pounds of wool. Of the horses, mules and asses in the county, we have no statistics later than 1870 that are reliable.
There were then 6,840 horses and 921 mules and asses. Since that time, there has been, doubtless, an increase of 15 or 20 per cent. For the last five or six years, the attention of farmers has been turned largely to the improvement of the breed of horses. For this purpose, large sums have been expended in importing, from various portions of Europe, studs of the finest horses. The most popular breeds are, perhaps, the Norman and Clydesdale. In this short time, a marked improvement is observable in the stock all over the county.

********

Recipe
Pie Pie Pie.....I love pies.  My grammy used to make a butter pie crust which was wonderful.  I liked it better than the crusts she made with lard....and even those were really good back in my kid days.  I looked up her recipe for the Butter Pie Crust.  Perhaps the holidays will be a time when you need just one more pie crust recipe.

Butter Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1 cup butter
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. water
2 tsp. baking powder
Cut the fat into the flour and baking powder with two knives or a pastry cutter.   When it is in small particles, carefully mix in the sugar and then the water in small amounts, tossing with a fork until it forms a ball.....being careful to not mash down the flour/fat mixture.  Divide in three parts.  Roll it out. Can roll it between wax paper if you want. Will make three 9-inch pie shells.


Thought For The Day

Cherish Your Health: 

If it's good, preserve it.  If it's unstable,
improve it.  If it's beyond what you can improve,
get help!

Unknown Author


Have you ever been on an airplane sitting next to a person who had to use the barf bag?  It ain't a pretty sight my friend.

The last time I flew, I was on one of those huge wide body airliners with multiple seats across.  Of course I asked for an aisle seat but my last connection had gotten in late so the darn airliner was getting full so I got a seat in the middle of the row.  Oh goody!  I had to crawl across a 400 pound man who smelled like he hadn't had a bath in 6 years, then the circus fat lady whose legs were as big around as the tree in my front yard and I had no room to crawl over her without just about sitting on her tree stump legs.  Then came the spindly little lady who said "don't move my legs as I have to pee" and smelled like she already had.

By this time, I'm about ready to pass out from the exertion of crawling over three strange people as well as the smell.  Now ....  I know when I travel, people might not smell the best, including me.   During that flight I might not have smelled the best in the world after the 6 stops, 4 plane changes and the taco with refried beans I ate at the airport diner 3 stops back.  But, when I smelled my armpits, they seemed half way presentable.  My breath was another story believe me....all that belching I think.  But the smell coming from this area was awful.

I finally made it to my seat and sat down.  The person on the other side from where I came was asleep.  Oh Goody!!  Don't have to talk to that person.  The plane took off.....up came my other seatmate ...... and started rummaging in the seat pocket on the seat in front of him.  He grabbed the airsickness bag and started barfing into it.  OH MY GOD!  It smelled worse than anything I ever smelled before.  His insides had to be rotten. 

I looked over and he was green and I was getting there just from hearing him barf.  I see him close the bag and reach for another.  By this time, I am pushing the call button.  GET ME OUT OF HERE!!  I can't stand the barfing, the smell and the general  malaise which was engulfing my body.  I was getting paranoid and schizo sitting in a middle seat.

The stewardess came... wrinkled her nose as if smelling the air and not liking it, and then asked what I needed.  I explained I was feeling badly and needed another seat and then I pointed to the barf bags resting on the person's lap.  She reached for the bags, and then  her hand flew upward and grabbed her mouth when her hand touched wet something or other.  I think she was going to barf!   She took off without getting me out of there so I pushed the call button again.  Her companion came this time.....and said "Yes, we can get you another seat"....follow me.  I went to first class.....YAY.  They must have felt sorry for me to get this seat!!   No one was sick there.....including me.  I finished the flight with no more barf bag seatmates.  

The moral of this airplane story is ..... never sit next to a barfer in flight and never allow the airline to put you in a middle seat on one of those huge wide body airliners.  If they do, ask for directions to the restroom and just stay there during the entire flight. 


Rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.  This blog is protected under copyright laws.

Goodbye!