Friday, November 4, 2011

Holidays Are Coming

Holidays Are Coming - R U Getting Ready??
This morning I looked at my calendar.  I couldn't understand why November 8th was in red....red always means a holiday.  Then I remembered that the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November is the USA election day......but not this year.
I thought I better look at the rest of the month so I don't forget about any other holiday coming up.  November 11th is Veteran's Day so I bet there will be some super sales.  Also on November 11th it's Rememberance Day.  For November 12th I found that this is not only Chicken Soup For The Soul Day but it is also Elizabeth Cady Stanton Day whoever she is. 

Moving on to November 13th, it's Mom's and Dad's Day....what is this....I thought we had Mother's Day and Father's Day earlier this year.  Moving to the 14th I found it's Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day....boy do I need that.  Two " special holidays" grace the 15th.....America's Recycles Day as well as Pack Your Mom Lunch Day.  On November 16th, it's Button Day.

Seriously, did the greeting card companies make all of these up just so people would send cards?????  I'm only half way through the month and I'm tired.

Good gosh, three holidays fall on November 17th.  First is Homemade Bread Day, the second is National Young Reader's Day and the third is Take a Hike Day.  I'm about ready to take a hike!  I can't afford to buy cards and postage for all of these days.

Moving on to the 18th I found it's William Tell Day...that must have been the day he shot an apple from his son's head.  On November 19th we must all play Monopoly as it's Monopoly day. Two more holidays fall on the 20th.....Mexican Revolution Day and Universal Children's Day.  The 21st of November brings us World Hello Day.....I'm ready to say goodbye to all of these holidays.

November 22 is Stop The Violence Day but in my book it means more to me.....my mama was born on this day and  my great-grandma as well as President John Kennedy both died on this day...... and it's my sister-in-laws birthday too ....seems these people are pretty important but they didn't warrant a special day.  National Cashew Day falls on November 23.....guess they want everyone to buy expensive cashews for the next day's big holiday meal.

Then comes Thanksgiving on November 24th.  On the 25th, National Parfait Day arrives and in case you didn't know it, it's Woody Woodpecker's birthday too.  November the 26th brings us National cake day....I will still be full from November 24th thank you.

I'm just about at the end of the month when I find that Pins and Needles Day is on November 27 and find there is no special holiday on the 28th but it was Mark Twain's birthday on this day.  November 29th also is a no holiday day....wow!  Bringing up the final day I find it's Stay At Home Because You're Well Day.

I really can't believe all of these holidays this month.  I bet you think I made this all up....but I really didn't.....Now I can't wait until December to see what it's all about!!

Death
A lifelong resident, known to almost everyone in town, died Wednesday night....... Hermina Dowell.  She was the secretary/bookkeeper at the Greenview Schools for years and years and well known and well loved by many. Her services will be held in Greenview ( listed below)  Hermina was the former Hermina Boeckmann and the mother of Travis Dowell.

Visitation:  Sunday 3 to 5 pm, Hurley, Greenview
Funeral: Monday, 10 a.m., Greenview Christian Church
Flowers or donations:  Memorial Medical Center Foundation in care
of 6C Cardiac ICU

Springfield Area Pictures

You should be able to click on the picture to get an enlarged version on most of these.  And, if you want to save the picture, right click on the enlarged version and then click "save picture".  If you have friends who were former Springfield people who would be interested in viewing all of the Springfield pictures I put on this blog, please give them my blog site address.  All Springfield vintage pictures can be seen by looking at the right side of this blog and going down to "Labels" and then clicking on Springfield IL vintage pictures....it will bring up all posts with Springfield vintage pictures....scroll through the posts and when you come to the end, click on "older posts" to keep bringing them up until all of them have been viewed.  Enjoy!!!


Flecks's Motor Court on Route 125


Fleck's Motor Court Matchbook


Advertisement for Palace Hotel
214 1/2 North Fourth Street


St. Nicholas Hotel 1910


Travel Lodge on 9th down by Cook Street...1960's
Although not used for many years, this place was just torn down in the past few years.


Magolia Court...junction of Rtes 36, 29 and 54.
I think this is where Clearlake and Dirksen Parkway is now maybe.


Howard Johnson's 1025 South 5th Across From Bisch Funeral.
I remember eating at the cafe in front of the Motel.  The cafe building is still there I think.



My most prized picture....Moonlight Gardens.
I always remember people talking about it but I was too young to remember it.

More to come in the near future.  If you like
these Springfield, IL vintage pictures, please
let me know so I will continue to post my collection of pictures.  Thanks.

Recipe

Ultimate Shortbread Cookies 
1 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
non-pareils, coarse sugar, or chopped nuts to roll these in

Beat, with mixer,  the room temperature butter, sugar and extracts until the mixture is light and fluffy (2-3 minutes on high). Add the flour, half a cup at a time, beating well between each addition. Roll the dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then chill until very firm or up to two days.


After "logs" are very firm, roll them in sprinkles or nuts (optional) and slice into ¼" slices. Bake on ungreased baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes.  Good!

Thought For The Day
All the world is full of suffering.
It is also full of overcoming.
--Helen Keller

What color of paper clips do you use?  I lean towards the nickel ones for everyday stuff,  but I have some really cool red ones and yellow ones too.  Those red paper clips are the utmost as far as I'm concerned. 

I keep those red paper clips for special things.  If I reach in the paper clip box and pull out a red paper clip for an everyday thing, I have to immediately throw the clip back in there and hope for a more low key color in the next grab.


When I find different types of red paper clips I always buy them.....I'm beginning to think I have a fetish with red paper clips.
It's getting harder and harder to find a box of red paper clips.....I've been praying to the paper clip gods that the manufacturers continue to make my beautiful red paper clips.....whatever would I do if I can't find my favorite red clips?  Choose another color maybe...


Rating indicator is at the bottom. 

Comments are welcomed.
This blog is protected under copyright laws....you may copy the pictures in this blog but not the articles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog while looking for old pictures of Springfield and thought I could help on some of the postcards:

1.Fleck's Motel-just west of Bruns lane on Jefferson now gone
2. Magnolia ourt, 2615 E. Cook-still there now residential
3. Howard Johnson-both buildings still there now residential
4. Moonlight Gardens-corner of Chatham and Wabash where Shop 'n Save now sits built in 1971
5. Springfield Swimming Pool-1st Veterans Memorial Pool on North 11th (pool gone, now Memorial Pool Park)-notice Illinois Watch Factory in background of picture

There are lots of other picture postcards out there like Lazy A motel on Peoria Rd across from the fairgounds (now on National Register of Historic Places) Keep looking! I hope I have helped a bit.

Tim
Springfield

doll lady said...

Tim....thank you for the information....I will post that in an upcoming post. I'm so glad you found the blog.....I'm certainly open to suggestions and would welcome history related info. My email is carlaslittlemoms@yahoo.com

I primarily do this blog for Greenview residents .... plus another one which is old fashioned hints and recipes from my grammy and mama: http://becausegrammyandmamasaidso.blogspot.com/

Are you affiliated with a certain blog or just interested in history of Springfield?

Carla