Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our BLS Team Needs Volunteers

The BLS Team .... Again
I typically don't get into controversial things but the BLS situation has greatly upset me.  I live in this town.....and don't have access to the BLS team response during the day.  Yet during the evening or the weekend Greenview residents have that access.  I can't control when I need 9-11 nor can anyone else. 

I guess I'm not too popular because I brought up the BLS team and the lack of response on another social network.   No one likes to face the fact that something needs to be done and there is always a bad guy who brings up a touchy subject....and that was me, because I had the occasion to call 9-11 and no BLS team member responded.     I only hope those who didn't like the fact that I brought it up, never have to call 9-11 as I did with no response from the team two different times!!!!!!!  I certainly appreciate every member of that BLS team and am not negating the good they do, I simply think the team could be improved. 

I certainly realize that the BLS is a volunteer team and I value their work and I'm not degrading anything they do, but it's the lack of procedures and lack of trying to obtain new members that I have a problem with as well as the procedures the county uses to obtain mutual aid when the Greenview BLS doesn't respond.  Members of the BLS team know that there is no coverage on the weekdays yet nothing has been done to try to obtain new members.  Time for change.  Any if anyone out there could possibly be a BLS volunteer and go through the classes it takes, let me know and I will pass your name on.  After today I will not post anything about the BLS unless someone asks me to do a post.  I think I'm one of the only ones in Greenview who really cares enough to bring it up. And if I ever have to call 9-11 when the BLS team is on duty I only hope it's not held against me.  And if anyone is upset that I brought this up ...... well...............

Old versus New Greenview - During My Years

We used to have a theater, The Linda Theater.  We don't now.  We used to have several stores through the years, Johnson & Denton, West Foods, Barnett's,  K & K Red Cardinal, Les McKee, Lockwood's, Apke's.  We have Zero stores now.   We used to have a skating rink.  It burned down.  We used to have a two banks, we have one now (from Middletown). 

We used to have Presbyterian Church, Christian Church, St. John's Evangelical Church, Catholic Church, Church of Christ.  We now have Greenview United Church, The Baptist Church, and The Christian Church.

We used to have implement dealers, Cramer Machinery, Baugher's Implement, Rohlf's.  We now have Rohlf's.  We used to have Jones' Pontiac, Hinrich's Chevrolet, Cramer's Auto (Plymouth, etc).  Now we have no actual dealers but we now have Tuttle's Used Auto Sales.

We used to have a department store, Rodemer's and later Kirby's.  We have nothing now, but there is a nick nak craft store called Zip Zap.

We used to have two cafes, the Corner Cafe and the Village Inn and long long ago another down the street from Smitty's.  Now we have no actual cafe but you can get food at Chili Bears or take out at Casey's.

We used to have laundromats at various places in town.  We don't have any now.  We used to have a car wash.  We don't have one now.  We used to have mutiple gas/service stations, Hinrich's, Standard, FS, Tuttle's.  We now have two, Tuttle's and Casey's.

We used to have lots of different taverns through the years ....     Smitty's, The Lower Tavern, Swede's, Joe Simmering's,  Coonrod's, Cousin's Lounge and Restaurant, Richard's.  Now we have two, Chili Bear's and Cousin's Tap.

We used to have numerous beauty operators Blanche, Louella, Addie, two Barbs, Jean, Diane, Lisa, but now have only one, Lisa.  We used to have two barber shops, Webb's and Conkling's.  We don't have any now.

We still have a Funeral Home....Hurley's. We still have a cemetery.
We have an ice cream shop. We have Casey's...thank goodness it's the glue that holds the town together.  We have an auctioneer, Ron Sanert.  We have a post office (for now).  We have some kind of window film company, Jeff Johnston.  We have a multiple home building/concrete contractors that I know of,  Kevin Janssen, Alan Janssen, Dan Horn.  We have a cleaning service, Rainbow. 

We have meals for the seniors.  We have the Masonic Lodge.  We have the Amvets.  We have the elevator.  We have the park.  We have the school (for now).  We have ??????? not much else. 

Recipe

Apples are abundant these days.  I like to dip my apples in a dip of some kind.  This recipe is for all fruit but is especially good with apples.  This is a recipe from one of my relatives that I got long ago.

Taffy Apple Dip
8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
 Few chopped salted peanuts (I omit these)
Mix together and chill.

Thought For The Day
Today's post is so apropos for today........

Public opinion in this country is everything.
--Abraham Lincoln


Everything I have read points to the fact that the human race has evolved from the monkeys, chimpanzees and the apes.  From primate to human.....I guess I can believe that based on certain anatomical similarities, but I still have some reservations.

Some days I feel like a monkey and want to swing from the trees but that doesn't happen often.  Some days I feel like a banana so does that mean my monkey ancestors' traits are showing through?  I know we all have a "tail bone" so does that mean I once had a "tail"? 

I guess I will never truly know if I were a monkey in my past life.  But I do have a very pertinent question......if we humans were once monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?????
Just asking........

Rating indicator is at the bottom.  This blog and posts are protected under copyright laws.


No comments: