Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Time To Decorate

It's Not Looking Enough Like Christmas!!
You say you just haven't had time to decorate?  Whatever have you been doing...sitting at the computer 15 hours a day and not getting things done??  Oh dang that's me I'm talking about.  The house is a mess...clothes need to be laundered....the decorations aren't all up (wreath on the door and the very skinny 5 foot tree, which is already decorated found its way up from the basement).  But I have tired butt from just sitting in front of this darn computer screen.

During a road trip this weekend to do some shopping in Decatur I saw where very few people had their decorations up.  I love looking through the front windows of homes and to see their trees.  Mine never looks as good as others.  So I've decided this year during clearance time, I'm going to buy a fake, very fat and as tall as my ceilings can handle tree.   My other one is just not fat enough nor tall enough so my skinny minnie tree usually gets put up instead of the big tree.  And, I'm going to buy all new decorations too!  I'm tired of those others.

This year our granddaughter will be an Angel in a real life nativity scene at Lewis Memorial Christian Homes during the season.  This is an annual presentation.....be sure to go if you get a chance....I will put times on later.

I do know one thing......when you get older and have no kids at home, Christmas just doesn't feel the same.  Especially when the kids don't come home for Christmas.  For several years, we have made the trek to their homes.....see the kids open presents and eat breakfast and then go home because they're on their way to their in-laws.  It's hubby's birthday on Christmas so we go home and eat cake....and no left overs.  But this year, since hubby has the next day off....I think we will go somewhere....just an overnighter ..... to celebrate Merry Birthday and Happy Christmas.



Now is the time for you to think about decorating for Christmas. And don't let this happen ------------------------------->







And, be sure to set out your nativity with  baby Jesus in the manger, Mary, Joseph, and the three kings to celebrate the real reason for Christmas. 

Old Time Springfield Pictures



Springfield Hospital and Training School 1921
unknown location


St. John's Hospital 1945


St. Nicholas Hotel 1930-40's era



Postcard of Springfield Motel Slumberland
1641 Wabash Ave.


Osco Drug Downtown - southside
of the courthouse.  Unknown date but when they first moved
there from Monroe street I think....early 80's maybe???


Recipe

Chocolate Butterscotch Haystacks
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 package butterscotch chips
1 can spanish peanuts
1 large can chinese noodles (La Choy)

Stir the chips together in a bowl which can be microwaved.  Set microwave on medium heat and every 45 seconds, stop and stir.....keep doing this until completely melted.  After melted, stir in the peanuts and the chinese noodles.  Stir until mixed completely.  Drop by spoonful on waxed paper or parchment paper.  Cool until hardened.  Store in covered container.

Thought For The Day

Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in doom and gloom otherwise.  Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her attitude to pull you down.  Instead surround yourself with optimistic people.
--Zig Zigler


Are you sending Christmas cards this year?  Well don't really expect one from me.  I've decided that the mailman has far too many cards to carry in his heavy mail sack, so I'm opting out.  I guess this might add to the post office's financial problems, but surely my measly little amount of cards won't hurt that badly. 

I plan to use Al Gore's glorious creation (the internet) to tell my friends and maybe some frienemies Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and may your holiday be blessed.  Wait...................I hope the heck I don't have any friends or frienemies that feel hurt and get bent out of shape when the greeting is Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays while others are offended by even this comment.  So it's the war about Christmas holidays.....you're damned if you say it and damned if you don't ( say the right thing that is). 

The greedy store owners have really driven the true meaning of Christmas out and made it so commercialized.....now others want to drive the Christmas greetings from our mouths and demand we say "the appropriate crap" that they want.  It's just like driving prayer from the schools....in my book.  From now on I'm going to say Happy Jesus' Birth at Christmas....and see if those "do gooders" can complain about that....because that my friends, is the real reason we celebrate Christmas.   And then I'll tack on "and by the way, have a Good New Year". 

I'll probably get complaints, but do I care????? H*ll no.



This blog and posts are copyrighted.....do me a favor and don't copy my stuff.  See you another time.  The rating indicator is at the bottom of this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the old Springfield Hospital was on the North side of North Grand Avenue at the intersection of whatever street goes by what was Springfield Junior College. I remember a large brick building at about that location where my father said he had surgery in the 1930's.

Ken Dirks