Monday, November 7, 2011

Grant A Wish Day

The Wish Fairies Are Handing Out Wishes
Hurry Hurry....it's grant a wish day.  I definitely want my most desired wish to be granted....but I haven't thought of the wish I want yet.  I knew yesterday that today was the day to line up for the best wishes in the world, but I had to take the time to properly think of what would benefit me the most.  I'm still thinking!!

If I were to ask you right now what would be the wish you would ask for if a genie popped out of the bottle and told you that one wish could be granted, would you know right off what it would be?  I bet ~~NO~~ you wouldn't know.  So take a moment and try to think what that wish would be.

I have spent about 12 hours trying to think of what mine would be and I'm still puzzled.  First of all I wanted to have two million dollars, but I just know that if I got that money,  all my relatives would line up at my door every day wanting me to cook fancy and expensive meals or write them checks or even drive or fly them around so they could go shopping on MY money.....you know places like Tiffany's, Sak's Fifth Avenue, Giorgio Armani, Dolce and Gabanna,  in other words the elite and the best....and I would most likely have to pay for all of the plane rides to get to the shop location.

Those expensive steak dinners and shopping trips would be just too much money so I withdraw my thoughts for that two million dollar wish.  On to the next thought about wishes.

I sure don't want to waste my one wish on something that's impossible to get from the wish fairies, so something along the lines of being beautiful and young and healthy is out I guess.  Hmmmmm......My wish mechanism is just not working well.....the only thing I can think about wanting is to be fair, fey and sweet as a sugar cookie. 

Being a  "fey type person" I could dance with the leprechauns who are friends of the wish fairies.  They always hang around together don't you know.  If I were fair, I would be fresh as a daisy and maybe I could have strawberry blonde hair.  Of course I'm already just about as sweet as can be, but to be as sweet as a sugar cookie is just the ultimate thing in life.  Especially if the cookie is sprinkled with fairy dust and chocolate nonpareils.

Yep...that's my wish.....to be fair, fey and sweet as a sugar cookie!!  What's your wish??

Old Tyme Greenview

1953 - Korean War Armistice signed July 27-28. 
 * August 7 -  Dr. Stanley Paulauskis opened an office for the practice of medicine.  He and his wife, daughter and step-son, Imar Waldners together with Mrs. Paulauskis' mother Mrs. Jasienski are natives of Lithuania and became citizens in 1956. 
 * October 20 - Howard Separ patented a portable bowling alley.  It is being manufactured and widely distributed by the Carrom Industries, Ludington, Michigan. 
 *  November 12 - Mrs. Paul Davis became the new operator of the Markee Grill (at the theater).

 * October 9 - A new chlorinator was installed.
 * November 27 - Memorial lights were installed in the chapel of the Presbyterian Church for Mrs. Clemma Brooks by her children.

1954 - Fall of 1954, a Youth Center was organized under the sponsorship of the PTA in order to give youngsters in high school a place to meet and have fun.  Gowdy Biggs purchased the shoe repair business from Ambrose VanNattan who had bought it from the Purin Pittman estate.  David Woodrum took over the flower agency of the Roseview Greenhouse.

1955 - Greenview Feed Co. opened for business.  Owners were Russell Yocum, Roland Montgomery and Ed Pickett.
 * March 4 - Linda Theater installed cinemascope after six years in business.
 * May 1 - Dedication services of remodeled Christian Church.
 * May 27 - Greenview voted for Daylight Savings time for the first time.
 * August 5 - Cramer Impletment Co. bought the village jail and site for $510.
 * August 19, Secretary of State Charles Carpentier issued a not-for-profit charter to the Greenview Racing Association (midget racers).

1956 - March - The Linda Theater closed.  Blood Alley was the last show.  The owners were too busy to keep it open.
 * June 1 - Greenview went on daylight savings time.
 * June 15 - The Curtis Elevator was destroyed by fire.  It was owned by Clyde McClintick.  (The elevator was rebuilt and was in operation in 1957).
 * June 29 - Construction began on the new telephone building.
 * Sept. 28 - Construction began on the new concrete elevator owned by Paul Allison.



Note:  To me the old town was really hopping back in the 1950's....too bad we can't get some momentum going like our parents age group did.  Sometimes I forget to mark what I have posted from my scrapbooks....so I might be repeating myself.  Sorry for that, but I'm sure there are readers who didn't see the original post or have forgotten they read it .... like me.  I don't have a lot of Greenview pictures unfortunately and would love to have more....if you have any you would be willing to share, could you scan them and email them to me:



Information

Last week I received information that Alan Janssen and his brother Kent were hurt in a construction accident.  The information I got, indicated they were pouring concrete walls and due to a jolt by the equipment one of them fell from the top to the basement floor (about 8 feet)  and then maybe another fluke where the concrete equipment knocked the other.  Not sure on the fine details....only repeating what I heard.  I understand Alan had multiple vertebrae injuries as well as a severely damaged leg, including a crushed heel.  At least two surgeries have been performed on Alan.  Kent suffered multiple broken ribs(11 ribs).
I hope I have most of this right.  I heard the same story from multiple people.  Prayers for these two fine guys. 

Recipe

Munchy Crunchies (the sweet version)
1 stick margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons white corn syrup
Large handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)
Pretzels if desired.
Cook in a large bowl on high in microwave until it boils.  Remove and add 7 cups chex corn or rice (or mixture) cereal and large handful of mixed nuts....can also add a few pretzels.  Stir and spread  on waxed paper to let cool and break up.  I don't store with an airtight cover...just loose.  Can half the recipe from lesser amount.

Thought For The Day
When I was young, I used to admire
intelligent people; as I grow older,
I admire kind people.
-- Abraham Joshua Heschel

Lately I've noticed that actual Barber Shops seem to be dwindling down to just a hand few.  Don't men get haircuts any longer.....or do I just not know there are still millions of Barber Shops out there.....or since the majority of stylists are women, are women stylists cutting most men's hair?

Every time I go to get my hair cut, the shop I go to is full of men there for haircuts....the stylists are all women.  Those women seem to know exactly how to cut men's hair.  I used to think that only men barbers had the grips on how to cut mens' hair.  But those cosmetology schools must now teach stylists how to do it.  Are there even any Barber Colleges left in this world??  Or do all students just learn how to cut men and womens' hair?  I wonder if they still do those old fashion facials where the barber placed a hot towel around the face prior to getting a shave.....wonder if those stylist also shave men too??

I remember back in the late 1960's and the 1970's, when everyone grew their hair long, I always wondered what in the world the barbers did during that time.  I guess their only customers were the older generation who wouldn't have grown their hair long on a bet!!  Now they do.... some of these older folks even sport ponytails with beads and braids.

I'm sure the old cheap barber haircuts are a thing of the past.  And, I can't believe how expensive my hair cuts are becoming....but you have to get your "hairs" cut or wear it down to the floor.....too much trouble for me.





Rating indicator is at the bottom.  You can copy the pictures I insert but not the articles....protected under copyright laws.

No comments: