Friday, August 5, 2011

Dilly Dally Around The _______?? You Fill It In!

Do you know what dilly dally means?
To "dilly dally" means to waste time, and especially in decisions; to dwadle; or  to vacillate.  I think I dilly and dally a lot these days....dragging my feet and loafing and procrastinating a lot and maybe that happens in a small town where it's common to "dilly dally" cause there ain't a lot to do to cure the need to "dilly dally".  Or, maybe I should say I "dilly dally" around doing nothing.  I guess if there is a group of persons who "dilly dally", do you think they would be called "dillydallies" or would it be "dillydalliers"?

From my prospective I think that "dillydallies" also "fiddle faddle" around and do a lot of "lolly gaggin ".  And, I guess if you are "lolly gaggin" a lot, you might be a "schlep".  I don't think I like "schleps", and I think they might be even worse than a "lolly gagginer" if that is a word.....or maybe I should keep it simple and say those peeps who  do some "lolly gaggin" are just putting off doing stuff they should have done before they started "dilly dallying" around.  They did some "fiddle faddling" and they should have been working to clean up their act and quit the gosh dang "dwadling".   There's nothing worse than a "dilly dally"  who "dwadles and vacillates" all over the place. To see them when they "dilly dally" is rather disgusting because they sit there "lolly gaggin" with a silly look on their face because that "fiddle faddling" is hard on a person.  When it's happening, it's kind of like they sit back and have spittle running down their face because they are so slack from "dilly dallying" around.

I'm hoping that my above definition of "dilly dally" will give you an idea of how to fill in the title blank with something about "dilly dallying" around something or other.  But maybe you will have to just saunter over to the next "dilly dalleyer" you see and ask them what they "dilly dally" around.  Now don't tarry around asking, because you might join that crowd of "dillydallies" that are well known for "lolly gaggin".  I hate spittle spilling down the chin!!

Greenview Things
I have received a nice note from Rick S. who says his father-in-law is over at Sunny Acres....(by the way his dad Al Setzer is actually doing better than he has been for a while and is at home).  On a recent visit, Rick was able to visit another Sunny Acres resident who is a Greenviewanite, Ron Walhbrink.  Good conversation and a fun time was had by all.

Shelby Nance, daughter of Jay and Camille Nance has been chosen as an All American Cheerleader and will tour London as well as take part in the London New Year Day's parade.  Good job Shelby!  There will some fund raisers to help defray costs.  Help if you can!

In The Olden Days
When I was young, I had a doll addiction of sorts.  I wanted every doll I ever saw.  But, alas, I didn't get them.  When I grew up I had a few which I kept over the years, but that wasn't enough for me.  I bet the girls in this crowd of readers, loved dolls too.  I know that when people see "dolls of old", they ooh and ahh a lot and want to pick them up and look carefully at how they are made.  Some old dolls can be handled easily but others can't.  It's fun to look, so I included just a few pictures of mine in today's post.  LQQK but don't touch!



1958 Sears Catalog, page 438
I think the page has some drool.



One of my most favorites which
was accidently broken recently.



Wooden Composition Doll early 1940's


Early 1900 German Bisque Doll Head
by Armand Marseilles


1926 Rosebud Doll Wood Composition




A late 1800's from a dear Athens friend
Wood Composition and Straw Legs


1950's Fair Prize With Lilac Hair


What's To Eat At Our House Tonight?
Tonight is a homemade pizza made with Walmart brand pizza crust mix ($.44 per pouch).  I mix the dough and let it sit for 5 minutes ... then grease my hands with olive oil and also oil the pan with olive oil and spread the dough as thin as I can.  Bake the crust for about 6 minutes until it's no longer sticky.  Take it out and add pizza sauce and all of your favorite ingredients.  Bake at 400 for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust looks brown on the edges.

Learn A Word A Day
Remember we are learning all of these new words so Greenviewanites will be the smartest in the county!

Newly Coined Word - Captcha = A distorted image of letters and numbers used to ensure that a response is not generated by a computer, in order to prevent spamming.

New Spanish Word/Phrase - Estoy Perdido = I'm lost

Thought Of The Day

Beauty is whatever gives joy.
--Edna St. Vincent Millay 


Small town America sure describes our little town of Greenview.  It seems that within the last 15 years, the town has become a different composition.  The residents used to be so conservative and when a new person moved in, there wasn't actual hostility, but the welcome mat wasn't exactly spread before the new resident's door....the new resident had to work to be accepted.

Back in the olden days, thirty years or more ago,  it seemed to me that a person who moved in and who was related to someone else always had an easier time "fitting in", while a total outsider had a ways to go to easily become an accepted resident.  If the person was a definite church goer, the new resident usually had an easier time because he/she had more in common with residents who attended church.  I remember seeing a few people come and go quickly because they felt they didn't fit in and told some people this was the reason for the move from the town.  I personally think the townsfolk who didn't accept the newcomers were of the "Old School".  I personally know someone who lived here and who was a very religious person who didn't like Catholics and also didn't like Jewish people.  I know for a fact that a Jewish person once told this person "Jesus was a Jew and he was good enough to hang on the cross for you, yet you don't like me".  That still didn't change the "Old School" thought process. 

In recent years, with a numerous amount of new residents replacing the old, I don't feel the hostility is here any more.  I feel acceptance is automatic.  But, it could be because the town composition is so new compared to the olden years.  Plus people keep the pace of a New York minute and don't have time to play the game of "let's not welcome this new person into town".  Wow am I glad, because I know some really swell persons who have moved into the town and have become real Greenviewanites. 

I guess the moral of my story is....the welcome mat is out.  If you don't live here, maybe you would like to.  It's not too bad if you like foxes screaming in the woods, chickens crowing in the early morning, oiled roads in the middle of summer, someone 4-wheeling on the property behind you, humidity so high you can ring out the water from your shirt, nowhere to buy a nice pair of shoes, and a Casey's convenience store where everything besides gas is super expensive but the gas prices are lower than a lot of big cities.  Not bad at all.....move on in.  I'll bake you a cake and bring it over and tell you all about being a Greenviewanite.  I remain....a Greenviewanite for life.






Blago will soon be sentenced!
His new job is......the same as Ryan's













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla,
It's Karen's Dad who is at Sunny Acres. My Dad is still in Greenview and doing well.
Rick

Anonymous said...

Rick....Duh...I don't take the time to read ..... dang! I've corrected that ...sorry.
Carla ( I should have said I put that in there to catch you...and see if you are reading the blog) ha ha ha I'll put a statement in Monday's blog too) Carla

Anonymous said...

No big deal, my Dad thought it was funny..