Thursday, August 25, 2011

What Do You Remember About Old Time Television

Remembering Past Local Television!!
Did any of you older peeps appear on the Pegwell Pete (Pegwell Circus) show?  I went two times and I loved it....so I guess I was a television star in my early years.  I think that was in 1958 and 1959.  For weeks and weeks I collected empty packages from Pegwell meats....mostly hot dogs.  I carefully washed those packages so they didn't stink because at first I didn't wash them and wow they stunk.  The different types of meats had a certain number of points.  These points could be used to buy things.  I had sacks of these packages when I went.

At the show there were auction items kids could bid on.  Many kids had sack after sack of packages so they got the good stuff.  But Pegwell Pete always had enough small stuff that the kids with a small amount of packages could buy.  I knew I couldn't bid against anyone with lots more meat packages than me.  They also gave prizes just for being on the show.  I think you could sign up once a year to be on it.  They gave us hot dogs, chips, soda and I think cookies too but, I didn't much like the hot dogs....they made me burp.  But I still begged my dad to buy them.

I remember going to neighbors and other town folks asking for them to save their Pegwell packages so I can have them when I went to the show.

The show was started by the guy who owned Pegwell Meats and also the television station which eventually became channel 55.  Pegwell Pete was the ring master of the circus and did the auction.  We sat on hard bleachers and sang the Pegwell Weiner song .... it went something like "we love Pegwell Weiners" -- "good old Pegwell Weiners".   There was someone named Jo Ann on the show, but can't remember what she did.  Pegwell Weiners sponsored the show.

There were other local shows kids could be on.  One was Click T. Clack and another was The Funny Company.  I loved watching these but never got to go to these.  Another show in the early 1960's I think you could go to was Marty's Pepsi Dancing Party.  And .... I almost forgot another was Popeye and Miss Kim Wilson.  I have a picture of that one.


Howdy Dowdy 1957 - 1960
Along with Buffalo Bob and  Clarabell (Bob Keeshan who later was Captain Kangaroo) and others in Doodyville.

Roy Rogers Show 1951 - 1957
Along with Dale Evans, Pat Brady, Trigger, Buttermilk,
Bullet and the Jeep Nellybelle

Mr. Wizard  1951 - 1965



Wagon Train 1957 - 1962
Starring Ward Bond

What a fun time it was for kids back then.  Of course we also watched Captain Jinks and Salty Sam on a Peoria channel....I think it was on at 3pm each day on channel 43 (later became Channel 25).....rushed right home from school to watch it too!  It was on from 1956 to 1972, but throughout the years underwent many changes. 

Captain Jinks and Salty Sam



Channel 43 Ad

Hope you enjoyed this trip down television memory lane.  Today I have a doctor appointment at 8 am so I have to leave early.  This didn't leave much time to do anything else on the blog post today.  Tomorrow is another day.....bigger and better.  Toodles my friends.







This is really a bad hair day for Donald Trump!!
HA HA HA HA



Please note .... I had to remove the comments from all blogs I had at the bottom of the blog.  A person put his foreign language website on there which was a virus and I couldn't remove it....I was afraid my readers would go to that website.  It's the chance I take doing a blog....they ruin things for others.  Maybe in a week or so I can put it back on as the comment will drop off.   Sorry.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember some of those shows, Carla. Memory lane is a good path!! I love how you take me along your memory lane, cause it fits mine as well. :)
Happy Trails, to you!
Charlotte :)

Anonymous said...

We love Pegwell Wieners
Good old Pegwell Wieners
With ketchup and mustard they're just grand.
We love PegwellWieners
Good old Pegwell Wieners
They're the best hot dog in all the land

Cant't remember all the lyric to the second verse..something about vacuum sealed and you can heat it in a minute?

Ken Dirks

Anonymous said...

I was on the Pegwell Pete show a few times. Coulda been 1959, but it seems like it was a bit later, like 1960ish or so. My dad worked at Channel 20 and I got on when they didn't have enough kids to fill up those bleachers. I remember once winning (or just getting) a Pop Gun that shot pingpong balls with air pressure created by you slamming your upper arm against your side with the butt of the gun in between. That dumb little promotional toy would probably be worth $thousands$ now.

Anonymous said...

I loved Miss Kim! I won a Miss Sunbeam Doll, the mascot of Sunbeam Bread, when I was 5 years old. It was a dream come true for me - something like winning the lottery. I also got a loaf of Sunbeam bread with my very cool doll, and my parents let me tear every slice in half (it was the only bread that was supposed to tear evenly!) My little sister and I tore the bread in half, threw the crust in the trash, and ate only the middle. We were never allowed to waste anything, so this was really going against then grain (or crust as it may be).

Happy memories!

Ark.guide51 said...

Joann Marshall was the girl on show, she was my neighbor, in Springfield,went to calf.

Gary Kreppert said...

It was Pegwill with an "i"....not Pegwell with an "e"....and the song went....
I like Pegwill wieners
Good ode Pegwill wieners,
They make the best hot dog in all the land.
Give me a Pegwill wiener,
A good ode Pegwill wiener,
With onions and mustard they're just grand!
Each one is flavored just so right,
With the best grade beef right in it,
And vacuum sealed so all you do is heat in just one minute.

Linda Angell said...

I remember Pegwell Circus. I went twice with my Brownie Troop and both times I was picked to be a clown! That was heady stuff for a seven or eight year old. I don't remember what else I won, but once I won a canteen and he wrote my name on it with black marker. I was in heaven.

I also remember being on a science show where I pretended to be in a class and displayed my drawing of a cell. It came on after the circus, but I was older then. About ten or so.

Anonymous said...

I remember imitating The King on Pegwell

yanmaneee said...

curry shoes
moncler outlet
coach outlet
supreme new york
curry 5
retro jordans
golden goose sneakers
nike off white
timberland boots
golden goose sneakers

Anonymous said...

It seems to my brother and myself went to the Leland Hotel when the TV station was there and was on TV. but I remember it was mid or early 50s.
It was PEGWILL Peg was for his wife name. will was his first name Bill.

hathoughsh said...

c9o39l9b42 q6s08p9i71 e2k82a4g59 h9y29c0q81 w9v78c7d10 h7l98r5t02

Anonymous said...

hermes birkin
kd shoes
off-white
air jordan
supreme shoes
jordan 13
golden goose
kyrie 5 spongebob
off white
off white