Thursday, December 15, 2011

Arguing With Yourself

Shopping Always Creates Arguments...with Myself

Yesterday I had about 10 arguments with myself about various things.  I was shopping and decided to get a gift item and put it in the cart.  Then I walked around for a while, and argued with myself about whether the item was really what I wanted to buy.  I went back to the location where I found the item and put it back.  After walking around for about 15 more minutes I had argued  with myself  during the whole time and I decided I did want that item so I went back to again get the item. Thus, I lost the argument with myself on that item.  The item was a men's cologne which I had never bought before so I was cautious because there was no tester bottle.....but a guy standing there said it was a good fragrance and that he wore it.

I got that bottle home and guess what, I kept reading the label and it was Eau de Parfume in tiny print....that's women's....it was not a men's cologne.....the actual bottle was a women's scent.....the clerks had put it in the wrong spot (down in men's area when it should have been in the women's area).  So now I'm having another argument with myself on whether to keep the fragrance for me or return it to the store and get another bottle (and go through another argument with myself probably). 

I wonder if this is common with most people.....do you argue with yourself or are you decisive? It's a toss up probably...some things you might want to hold a full fledged argument on whether to buy it or not....then others you might know right off that it's the right thing.  And, some things you might want to talk to the person standing next to you and bring them into your argument with yourself.

I can see that there are three sides to every argument.... your side, my side and the right side. In the case of this fragrance I lost the argument.....I bought it....it was wrong....the other guy was wrong and the store was wrong in putting it in the wrong spot.  Losers!

Greenview School History - Continued

This is copied from one of the  older Greenview Scrapbook and is continued from the last two days of posts about the schools.  This is an addendum to the history of Greenview schools information and I think was written about 1975.


"The original high school building was completed in time for classes to be in it beginning the fall of 1950.  The cost of the building had been increased due to the inflation accompanying the beginning of the Korean War.  In 1956 an area was added to the original building to house the industrial arts program.  Contracting firm for this addition was Gus Rodemer.  In 1960 an addition was constructed on the southeast end of the gym to house the band which had grown too large for its existing quarters under the leadership of Leo Garlinger and Gary White. 

The1962 engineers determined that there were certain design deficiencies in the original high school building that needed major correction.  A bond issue of $125,000 was submitted to the voters to accomplish this work and passed by a margin of 164 to 47.  In 1966 an addition to the front of the main building to the west of the main entrance was constructed to house a resource center.  In 1970, faced with the problems of inadequate finance and a very old elementary building, the community studied the possibilities of consolidation.  Consolidation with Mason City and with the other schools of Menard County were considered and a county consolidation was put to the vote of the community.  It was defeated.  Plans then were drawn up for the adding of an elementary wing to the existing high school building.  A bond referendum for bonds to the amount of $545,000 were submitted to the voters and passed by a vote of 435 to 82.  Construction on this new building was begun in August 1973 and the students moved into the completed addition on November 4th and 5th 1974.  A referendum was held to increase the educational tax rate and this was passed by a vote of 268 to 108 in October of 1974.  The old elementary building and grounds were sold at public auction on December 7, 1974 and brought $26,600. (12 lots and the three buildings)  As the total original cost to the taxpayers of the grounds and building was only $49,135 it hadn't cost much in depreciation to own these buildings for up to sixty years.  The sale of personal property netted about $350.

Thus is the abridged story of education in the Greenview area.  The building and educational facilities belong to the people.  Whether it is used to its fullest capacity depends entirely on the interest and ambition of those who built it.  Truly, Thomas Jefferson was right when he penned this truth: "The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests, nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance"."

Recipe

During the holidays you might need to serve a hot drink to guests.  Hot mulled cider is always good.  My recipe is heated in the crock pot so it can be done a few hours ahead and left to develop its wonderful flavors.  Enjoy!

Hot Mulled Cider In Crock-pot
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 quarts cider
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
2 pieces stick cinnamon
Orange slices

Put all ingredients in a crock-pot


Thought For The Day
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
--Henry David Thoreau

Husbands are so squirmy about certain things.  One thing that comes to mind is buying feminine items which are used by women only.  But sometimes a woman just needs help in doing something or getting something or buying something so these men should just get used to it....after all they took us women for better or worse.....we can't help it if sometimes the "worse" comes up and the men have to help, do or whatever.

The "worse" things surrounding the relationship can't really be all bad because when there isn't a man around, us women have to do the "worse" things.  So I rest my argument on this (there's that argument with myself thingy again). 

But I know one thing that just blows every man's mind.  It's three little words that can cause a man to have a red face, steam to come out of the ears, slight shortness of breath, embarrassment, anger, aloofness, and a bunch of other defensive measures.  You may have guessed what those three words are.  No, it isn't "I am pregnant".  And it's not "we are broke".  And no it's not "want a divorce".  The three words which can cause so much turmoil in a man are:

"hold my purse"




This blog is protected under copyright laws.
Come again.

Are you getting excited about the holidays?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the old band room, which was tiny...and a likely fire trap, although I think they finally installed a fire escape in the rear of the room...

Ken Dirks