Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Under The Mistletoe

Don't you dare kiss me you slob!
Did you ever have a case where you were unknowingly under a piece of mistletoe and some jerky ugly slob came up and planted a wet slobbery kiss right on your mouth?  Well it happened to me one time.

I happened to be at a local lounge with a bunch of my co-workers after work.  We went there to celebrate Christmas and were having a mighty good time drinking a few egg nogs and a few cocktails.  We knew a lot of the people who came to this place because they were people who also worked at our company or were just frequent patrons when we had been in there before. 

I had no idea that the owners had placed mistletoe at various places around the bar area.  Those little pieces of mistletoe were just dangling there waiting for an unsuspecting girl to place herself just under the green kissing stuff.  There I was, flitting around from person to person, giving my Christmas wishes to those I knew.  Not knowing that I was getting closer and closer to that dingle dangling dang mistletoe.

All at once the ugliest, slobby, smelly, and did I say jacka$$ jerk grabbed me from behind and flipped me around and planted a juicy wet horrible smooch right on my old kisser.  I grabbed my mouth and started scrubbing, just knowing I now had the bezillion germs of the ghetto right on my mouth.  Of course everyone else started laughing and about rolling on the floor.  They had watched me get closer and also watched this jerky gorilla stalking me as I got closer to the mistletoe.  That ended my session at the lounge....I'd had enough.  No more anything....and especially no more chances of landing under the other 15 pieces of mistletoe hanging around the place.

For years since then I have always looked at the ceiling in every similar place I went....I don't ever want to again experience that kiss full of slobbers on the old kisseroo.  Of course now, I should probably let go of my inhibitions and see how many people want to kiss an old fat, ugly woman standing under the mistletoe....probably no one.

Old Time Things.
What do you remember about old time things at Christmas Time?
Here's a few things I remember about my days of old:

1.   The downtown Springfield stores where we shopped for presents.  And the wonderfully decorated windows in the major department stores.

2.   Getting a doll from Santa.

3.   Going to Tolly's market and standing looking at the pretty dollies in the big boxes, and wishing for Santa to bring me one of those.

4.   Going to get the "real" Christmas tree.  We went to a couple of places...one over towards Havana (Heinhorse) and one north of Mason City (Schaubs).

5.   Always getting an orange and nuts with shells in our stockings which were hanging from our living room fireplace.  (I still give my kids an orange in their stockings....and they expect it too.)

6.   Always getting Evening in Paris toilet water and a box of life savers which opened up like a book from my great grandmother Lizzie and my Aunt Marie and Uncle Joe.

7.   Eating date pudding at my Aunt Marie's house. 

8.   Stringing popcorn with a needle and thread.

9.   My Grandma cooking a duck (icky).

10.  Sitting on the staircase to see if we could see Santa.

11.  Ribbon candy and rock candy and a big bowl of nuts in the shell with nutcrackers and a pick in the bowl.

12.  Always going to church on Christmas Eve.

13.  Going sledding in the afternoon and later in life, playing pinochle with the adults after I had learned to be a better player than the adults.

14.  All of us standing around the piano and singing Christmas carols, with Grandma or my sister playing for us....and grandpa with his fiddle or his harmonica.

15.  And last, but surely not least, sitting on Santa's lap just like in this picture of me with Santa.  I loved old man Santa....and I really believed....and I still do.




Thought Of The Day
As you prepare for the holidays, think about those who might be less fortunate.  In today's times, there are persons who have been out of work for months, with no income and very little or no food in the house.  At Christmas time, those of us who are more fortunate, waste so much food and items that others might be able to use.  If you know a shut-in or a less fortunate person, fix an extra plate and take time to take that plate of food to that person.  It might be the only meal they have on Christmas Day...and it might be the only food they have had for a while.  Or go to a nursing home and visit persons....even if you don't know those persons, they will be glad to see you.  If you see someone with children  in your town and you know where they live, and those children don't have mittens or gloves or a scarf, buy an inexpensive pair of gloves or mittens or a scarf and leave it on their doorstep.  And maybe include a nice treat too.

We Americans are a proud nation, but we have hunger and poverty, and more than most of us realize.  Have a kind heart this year at Christmas time.  And remember the real reason for Christmas....the birth of our savior, Jesus. 


Several songs to put you in the spirit.....

A Fairytale of New York.....An Irish crimbo Christmas song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q&feature=share

O Holy Night - sung in Navajo-Native American....to respect those persons who were on our Americans lands before us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE7a7eM2bTU&feature=share

The Prayer by Celine Dion and Andrea Bortelli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5VulNn3so&feature=related

May the spirit be with you in the coming days before this religious holiday.  My family and I certainly wish blessings of peace and joy to you and your family.  Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May you and yours have a Blessed Christmas,
Rick and Karen