Monday, December 19, 2011

Does The Bogeyman Follow Santa

I Know There Is A Bogeyman!

I'm sure most of us grew up knowing about the bogeyman.  If you weren't good, you probably heard "the bogeyman will come and get you".  I think I might have heard that many many times over my life.....but I guess I must not have been too terribly bad as I'm still here.

But, at Christmas, I seemed to hear that "bogeyman will get you" more than the average child......I think my mom and later my oldest sister wanted to make sure I was a perfect kid (cough cough).  Maybe it was because they knew I wasn't so perfect due to the fact that one year I unwrapped a present.  It was a beautiful jacket and I decided that no one would know, so I wore it to school  ...... BUSTED....I didn't know my sister was coming home from work early!!!

As a kid I always wondered how the words "Santa knows you've been bad and he will not bring you anything" and the phrase "the bogeyman will get you if you're bad" fit together at Christmas time. It crossed my mind enough to worry a few years if  the bogeyman followed Santa on his Christmas Eve rounds to scoop up all of the bad kids.  On those childhood years, when I knew I'd  been bad (because I was told several times and even got butt swats in a couple of cases of mouth trouble), I covered up my head with the covers and laid awake almost all night wondering when the bogeyman was going to come through my bedroom door (which I locked) to get me.

But I'm still here so I guess the bogeyman must have forgotten to stop at our house.  Whew!

As an adult and a mother I can see why kids might worry at Christmas time......the bogeyman trick is intended to frighten kids into compliant behavior and so is the "Santa knows you've been bad and won't bring you anything".  There are some kids who now suffer from emotional problems....perhaps it's because of the bogeyman and Santa.  Maybe parents in general have told kids these phrases too many times. Think about it!!

But in my ripe old age of  ??  I still believe in Santa.....and the big bad bogeyman.  I still cover my head up when I've been bad although I have no one to tell me that the bogeyman is going to get me.....but I know when I've been bad he just might come and get me....and especially on Christmas Eve because I think the bogeyman follows Santa.

Old Time Springfield



Black Angus.....2200 block of South 6th near the viaduct where
Gallegher's is now.



Steak and Shake 7th and South Grand


Lake Club 1950's


Lake Club Interior Postcard




Swimming at Memorial Pool
Converse Street....I remember swimming here
several times in the early 1960's.  The bottom was rough and always hurt my feet.



Vintage Springfield Marine Bank
North 6th Street downtown 1920's




Vintage Springfield First National Bank
5th and Adams Downtown


Springfield High School
1865 to 1897


Some of these are postcards from my collection while others
are copies of photos sent to me by my friend who knows I have an interest in history of local villages/towns.

Recipe

A Christmas treat always welcomed at most homes is tasty fudge.  I love peanut butter fudge but, really don't care too much for the kind made with marshmallow creme and peanut butter chips.  The following recipe is a quick and easy recipe. 

Peanut Butter Fudge
2 cps sugar
1/2 cup milk (I use evaporated)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Put sugar and milk in a heavy pan and bring to a boil stirring constantly.  Boil 2 1/2 minutes...stir entire time.  Remove from heat and add peanut butter and vanilla.  Stir just until mixed well and quickly add nuts and briefly stir.  Pour into buttered 8 x 8 pan.  Cool before cutting.

Thought For The Day

Laughter is the shortest distance
between two people.
--Victor Borge

Giddey Up ...let's go.  In the days of old, those  words were used to tell a horse to stop standing there....and hurry up let's go.  But, I wonder if that horse knew what those words meant??

Even the sleigh ride song has those words in it.

I think when people hear those words and that song, it catapults people into the holiday spirit....at least it does me.  I used to wanna get out in the snow (which we don't have on the ground) and hook up the old sleigh and get going....and then get back to the house all cold and with a red nose....and drink hot chocolate and eat cookies to warm up.  At least that was what we did in the days of old. 

Those olden days were so much fun.  We didn't have a care in the world and looked forward to making our own fun.....singing Christmas carols with our friends and playing in the snow....and sitting on the sleigh and telling the make believe horses "Giddey Up..let's go".  Now I sit on my sofa with the television remote and watch television and think about how I'm going to get everything done for Christmas. 

Well.....I guess I better giddey up off this sofa and "let's go" !!!  Later................if I can just get off this dang sofa!



One week from yesterday is the big day.

Come again and sit a spell.

This blog and posts are protected under copyright laws.

No comments: