Thursday, December 29, 2011

Time Is Slipping Away...

Time Time Time

I remember "It's Howdy Doody Time".    That always gave me the sense of what time it was.  Time for fun!  But as a child, I didn't know what time really was.

We all know that in physics, time runs independently of anything else.  The hands of a clock can stop but time still runs on.  One of the first thing a child learns in school is how to tell time.  Why do we call it "tell time" is a question I've always had.  What the heck are we telling?

As a kid I always thought it was funny that our time in the place where I lived wasn't the same time where others lived.  And, as a really young child I had a hard time understanding how that could be....because the clock told me what time it was so how could it be different somewhere else....didn't they have the same clock as me??  But I didn't know about time zones because that was too complicated for a young child.....but I wondered without knowing about this.  The multiple clocks on the wall in the restaurant in Mason City and the time in different cities are what finally made me understand how time could be different in different places....any one else remember those clocks on the wall in that restaurant??  All I can say is thank goodness for Robertson's Cafe.

Tick tock goes the clock.....the mouse is running up and down the old clock as the old year winds down.  The new mouse is ready to hop on board when father time says it's time to put the old year to bed and wake the new year to its new beginning.  Another year down and another to begin....the story of all of our lives. 

The holidays are almost over.....the relatives have or soon will be gone and in their own homes (you can do your sigh of relief now).....leaving you with only "relative memories" in your home.    Auld Lang Syne (times gone by)!  Time to start thinking about the New Year and your goals for the year.  Maybe you have no goals but that in itself is a goal....to live life as it comes and to heck with goals, schedules and timetables.

Any way you look at it, we're going to have a new year here in a bit so get ready for the fireworks, buy the bottle of good cheer and heck with it, open the bottle and test it out now....a little good cheer ahead of time never hurt anyone!!

Vintage New Year Greetings (click on picture for larger view)















Thought Of The Day

If my doctor told me I had only
six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. 
I'd type a little faster.
--Isaaic Asimov


The time of life is full of joy, hope, love, mystery, anticipation, wonder and exhilaration.   In the new year ....... Let us not forget old friends.  Let us not forget the friendship that binds us, unless you really don't like the person. 

Let us not think about too much, but not to the point of forgetting, our debtors in the final moments of the old year (believe me they won't let you forget them). 

Let us break bread together, but not at my house due to the many crumbs. 

Let us be one voice in the democracy for which this republic stands (tell that to our political leaders).

Let us be more tolerable to the many stupid people of the world.  And even more tolerable to those who think they are really smart but aren't.

Let us begin to see that people can change.  Let us hope that their change is for the better and not the opposite, because some are really almost a hopeless cause.

Let us remember those who have gone to heaven before us and thank goodness they were first in line.

Let us be thankful for what we have and not be shamed if we want more.

And last but not least, let me thank you for putting up with me and my trailer park humor....it ain't gonna change in the next year so if you ain't used to it yet, move on down the road!!


Please come again and visit my blog.  I  hope you have a good time and enjoy the history and humor. 

The blog and my posts are protected under copyright laws.  The rating indicator is at the bottom.

See you next time.

No comments: