Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day Prior To TGIF...October 8, 2009

Yesterday came and went and I couldn't post. Something was wrong with this site which prevented posting. But all's well, but I still don't have much of anything to report.

***********************
Rain In The Forecast. Rain, Rain and more Rain is in store for us. Below I72, 2-4 inches are predicted with flood warnings out for today. Rain also predicted for tomorrow. Cold weather at night headed our way...in the low 30's. This rain could result in delays in getting crops out. We were delayed in getting them in and now delayed getting them out. The midwest weather battle goes on and doesn't let up ... what else is new?!
*****************
LAST WEEKEND FOR SPOON RIVER DRIVE.
*****************
Fried Chicken Lovers - Attention: For a very long time, my sister kept telling me about a place to eat chicken on Wednesday night, up near Minier. That's a few miles past Hopedale, but when you're hungry for chicken, what's a few miles. Last night we went, and I am soooooooo glad we did. The chicken was wonderful. Wednesday night is chicken special night and costs $6.10 for a breast, wing, thigh and drumstick. But if you want all white, it's $1.50 more. Comes with choice of french fries or potato salad, with slaw and dinner rolls. I didn't like the potato salad at all, and the iced tea had a really funny taste, but the chicken was Egads....Great. There are other specials on other nights. The place is Gil's Country Inn and it's out in the country. Easiest way is find your way to Hopedale exit on I-155 north of Lincoln. We went to Delavan on RTE 122 off RTE 29 north as we wanted to gaze at the windmills. Then we took Interstate 155 to Hopedale exit, then on towards Minier. Before you get into Minier proper, there's a blacktop (Mackinaw Rd) you will need to turn north to take you to Gil's. It's a few miles down that blacktop on the left. You won't be sorry if you like fried chicken but I say stay away from the potato salad and iced tea.
***************
Horseshoes and Ponyshoes...the kind you eat. Most readers know that the signature dish of Springfield, IL is the horseshoe open faced sandwich. I'm not really very fond of them as I'm not a french fry person and sometimes the cheese sauce at restaurants is gooey/made with Velveeta, but every once in a while, I will order one if I know the cheese sauce is good ... I sometimes make them at home. Here's history on the original Horseshoe recipe. There are many stories, but I think this is the true one .... I believe that another man claimed to be the creator, but I believe this chef was first. Enjoy!
*************
NEWS FLASH. I just got word that Terry Steinhour, who lived kitty-corner from the Irish Grove church was killed last night in an accident in which his tractor rolled over on him due to a round bale falling off. Terry went to Middletown schools, but has been very involved with Menard county tourism. More later about this as I find out. His mother is my aunt's sister so I got the word this morning ... I have verified this news. Sympathy extended to the family.

Later today I will be scouting for news. With wet feet I'm sure. Surely something is happening in this town.
But for now, this is it.
*************

No comments: