Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Sabbath Day, October 18, 2009

Sundays ... A Post About Things Related To Sunday In My Life


Do you think that your time, your money, your attributes or your talents go unnoticed by God, or that they don't mean much? They mean many great things to God. Don't doubt that! Sundays are good days and I have many things I'm thankful for. Here's some things that I did as a kid or things I think about when I think about Sundays or about the church I grew up attending.



1. I had perfect attendance at Sunday School for 7 years in a row and I still have the Presbyterian Church attendance pin with all of the bars hanging from it. I was sick with the mumps and couldn't go to church so that broke my perfect attendance. I was fighting mad!



2. Mrs. Virgie Tripp was one of my Sunday School teachers. I gave her a Christmas present one year and not long ago my brother had the occasion to visit Virgie and the present still hangs in her house.


3. I wrote a poem once about a bird and my Sunday School teacher sent it to the Presbyterian Nationwide Magazine and my poem was published.



4. I had to sing a solo one Easter morning for the sunrise service at the St. John's Church. This was when the churches were just merging. I got up late and had to hurry. I forgot to do the family laundry on Saturday so I had to go to church without my underwear underneath my pantyhose (I said to myself...guess that's why we have pantyhose). My hair stood on end and I didn't brush my teeth either and here I was in front of a crowd of church members. This is the first time I admitted this in public.



5. One time I sang a solo at the Presbyterian church and Mrs. Emma Peters told me she didn't know any person could sing notes that high. She made my day. Sometimes just a word of encouragement to a person, can make lasting memories to that person...it did me.



6. I remember the church Halloween parties where the attendee had to go in the little curtained areas in the basement and feel the eyeballs (peeled grapes) and the veins (cooked spaghetti). But I thought it was real.



7. I remember going to my mom's and dad's funerals and feeling the love and sorrow within the church.



8. I remember attending many weddings at the church, including my own.



9. I remember the small chapel in the church, which was so beautiful.



10. I remember the warmth of knowing God was close to me in the church.




Just a few memories of my own. I can imagine we all have many similar memories. Sometimes it's good to let our mind take us there. Perhaps you will look back at those memories....it does a soul good.

Feel free to tell us your memories in the comments section below this post.

History of the old St. John's Evangelical Church which merged with the Presbyterian church into the present day Greenview United Church.

http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/menard/church/stj/stjohns.html
http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/menard/church/stjohns2.html


******************


Greenview Now and Then



Many of you left Greenview when the old Marbold Mansion was surrounded with weeds and growth two feet high. It doesn't look like that now. These pictures show the then and the now. Visit Greenview someday to see the wonderful restoration which has occurred. Many hours and many dollars for restoration are still needed, but what an improvement.







*****************
River Float on the Sangamon River is next Saturday. See previous blog posts for details.
Terror On The Square Is Open Weekends Now.
H1N1 Flu Shot Clinic Will Be Held By The County Health Department When The Vaccine Comes In. The Shot Will Be Free.
********************
HAVE A GOOD DAY MY GREENVIEWANITE FRIENDS. UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN, MAY YOU ENJOY GOOD HEALTH AND BE SAFE.
****************




No comments: