Monday, October 19, 2009

WAKE up WAKE up = Monday's here! 10-19-09

Is Monday Your Favorite Day?
Every 7 days begins another Monday. It will come around, you can count on that. These are some good things about a Monday.

a. Laundry usually was done on the weekend so your drawers are full of clean clothes.

b. You had 48 hours of R & R (rest and recuperation) just prior to Monday.
c. It's a good day to start a new project. If the new project fails then there is always a new Monday coming in a few days so you can start yet another new project. I think it's proven by someone (don't ask me who) that Monday is the best day to start things.....kind of like a "trigger day".
d. Like I spoke about in a post the other day, some Mondays are what I call fake holidays since the government moved most Federal holidays to Mondays to allow for 3 day weekends.
e. I always liked Mondays at work because I was renewed in spirit, had more energy and could face that awful deskful of icky stuff.
f. Many stores start sales on Mondays.
g. Monday night football for some (and for some wives, it's Monday night widow night as they don't see their husbands till the season is over).


Let the Monday's of the world come each week. Greenviewanites will be waiting and wondering what is around the corner for our little town.


**************
History In General In Greenview
I tried to remember back to my school history classes at Greenview High School. I loved world history and if I remember correctly, I had Mrs. Dodson for world history. Her son Rob was one of my classmates and somewhere down the line, Mrs. Dodson was a relative of mine. (In the olden days, lots of people in Greenview were related.....and I've heard many people say "In Greenview, if you get a divorce, you're still cousins.")


American History was ok, but there was so much memorizing, just so we could pass the Constitution test during that class. We didn't have a Government class back then in Greenview, so everything was thrown into the American History required course. Jack Biggs was my instuctor and I liked him as he was new to teaching and was easy going. He sure made memorizing the presidents (in order mind you) easier as he told stories about each.


We all are a part of history in general. Most us are not famous people and our names won't be in highlights in the history book, but we are famous in our own legend.

The Athens Library has a Special Collections Room which houses wonderful information about Menard County families. Volunteers take care of all of this information, including the gathering, catagorizing and maintenance. My brother is the volunteer for Greenviewanites. It's surprising how little information can be resurrected for each family, so history buffs like my brother and me, constantly advocate documenting your family history and giving the Athens Library a copy to store. My brother is trying to get copies of each Greenview resident's funeral pamphlet to store in the annals of history. He takes extra copies you might have, or he will make copies of the pamphlet and return the original to you. Please email me if you have any funeral pamphlets or other documented information for any of your family. We would be glad to copy those and include the information in the Athens Library collection.
**************


How Do You Say It?
If you live in the country around Greenview, do you say "I'm going to town" or do you say "I'm going into Greenview". And, if you live in the village proper, do you say "I'm going uptown." or do you say "I'm going downtown."


I never know the proper way to say where a person's going. So I guess I'll just keep on saying what I say, whatever that is. This reminds me of an old 1940's song "Get Along Down Town". The words will just put a smile on your face.... I think of this song when I say "Going To Town". Here's the words.
I wouldn't marry in the wintertime
Or the spring when the birdies call
Court them girls in the summertime
Leave them in the fall
Refrain: *
Get along down town
Get along down town
Get along down to Newport town
To lay my money down
Rich girl uses cold cream
Poor girl uses lard
My gal uses axle grease
But she rubs it twice as hard
* Refrain
Beefsteak when I'm hungry
Whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up
Heaven when I die
* Refrain
I'd marry up with that girl of mine
Try to settle down
But everytime the wild goose calls
Get along down town
* Refrain
The End.
******************
OLD SCHOOLS IN GREENVIEW
It might surprise some younger readers, but there were once upon a time many school buildings in the Greenview area, beginning in the 1850's era with some remaining operational for many years. These were rural schools which were more for convenience of the rural school children so a long cold trip to town would not be necessary. If anyone has any pictures of these schools, please send them to me at my email (listed above) so I can include them in the blog. Here's some names of some old schools.
Bee Grove; Crawf Knowles (later was called Hog Corner); Douglas; Hedge Row; Honey Heart; Indian Point; Pancake; Pleasant Hill; Smoot Point; Walnut Row.


A new brick school house was built in Greenview in 1870-71 at a cost of $10,000. High school courses were laid out so the high school began. Note: the current brick high school was built around 1949 with the elementary part being added many years later. A bond issue of $300,000 was voted on favorably in the 1948 election to buy land and build the new high school. On April 13, 1973, a referendum passed for an addition to the high school to be used for the elementary grades.


Some other school tidbits: Mr Wayne Dimmick resigned as Superintendent August 1, 1970 and Mr. C. R. Thayer accepted the position as Superintendent of Greenview Schools.
************
Today has been more of a history lesson than anything. I guess you could say I was newsless so when that happens, I become a historian and give you things I think you might like to know about good old Greenview. Be sure to visit the blog another day. The fine village of Greenview has been here a long while and will remain here a long while too!
**************
Have a Good Day My Greenviewanite Friends

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carla, do you know the locations of these schools? Are any of the schools still standing? Michele

Anonymous said...

Michele...the only location I'm sure of is the Pancake School as it was next to my great-mother's farm and she bought the land in 1951 when they sold all of the schools at auction. I also remember a person renting the school building to live in when I was a kid......it was located on the road north out of G'view past the subdivision and the water plant, first it's John Westerfeld, then Reggie Dowell ...the school was just past the next house after Reggie's (my great-gradmother's and now where Roger Calloway lives) ....and before you get to Deborah Cavannaugh Grant's (where Mike Downey lived years ago).

I just found some more names of schools too....Tonica, Sweetwater, Union, Jenison, Boyer, Curtis and Little Brick.

I really don't know where these were but will try to find out....I remember from the Athens library had a presentation at the Sesquicentennial but I don't recall the locations....I found a map and am inserting it in Tuesday's blog post. Thanks for asking questions! I'll do my best to find out answers if I can.

Carla