Monday, October 12, 2009

mOnDaY, October 12, 2009

HOLIDAY TODAY....for some that is, and, for others, another day in the salt mines. When you think about it...the word holiday really means "holy day", but not a whole lot of American holidays are actually religious celebrations. Did you ever really think about why we get all of these holidays off on Mondays? ..... Yes, it gives people a three day holiday but it also frustrates some of us in certain ways. Here's my "old whiney person list" of why it frustrates me":


1. The bank is closed on the Monday holidays. That means the deposit I put in the bank after 2pm on Friday doesn't get posted until Tuesday night's processing batch. But I bet the bank has been drawing interest on my money since the moment that computer keyboard registered I made a deposit. In the meantime, people can't go to the bank to draw any money out; if the person doesn't keep many funds in the bank other than the current deposit, they can't use their debit card because the bank still says you don't have any money in the bank; and since normal old persons like me, myself and I, forget that a certain Monday is a holiday so checks are written for bills and because of the bank-to- bank automation the recipient's bank sends a big "debit this" to my bank.... you have to hope and pray one of the checks doesn't get returned as non-sufficient funds....all because the bank doesn't post "after 2pm" deposits until Tuesday night batches. YIKES!


2. The stores in the big city are full of people with strollers and hundreds of kids running through the aisles, shooting foam dart guns, while the moms meander down the aisles, pushing their carts overflowing with about $600.oo worth of toys, ignoring that the kids are theirs as they don't want to be embarrassed....and here's me, dodging foam darts, looking for the aisle which stocks foam earplugs so I can shut out the noise from reaching my "Old Lady" sensitive ears.


3. You would think there would be very little traffic on the highways. Well think again. Those families who didn't go shopping in the stores, left town for the weekend, to go to one of those spiffy indoor waterparks which hotels are now offering at a premium price to make up for their lack of filling rooms on other days. For a simple $250.00 per night amount, you get a musty smelling hotel room overlooking the pool and, then just a few steps away is this nifty waterpark, complete with towels and toys and a little sell-all store which even sells baby diapers which can be put on a baby to keep some of the pee from going in the swim water. But mind you, no drinks or food allowed. You are expected to go to the food centers with your three kids in tow and for a grand total of $100.00 you get hamburgers for all, complete with soggy french fries and a kid sized coke. What a cheap way to spend one night away from home....and if you want to stay the whole weekend until the Monday holiday, simply multiply the $250.00 for the room/waterpark plus the $100.00 per meal times 3 meals and you have a enjoyable weekend which costs you more than my mortgage payment for 2 months, but I bet Visa loves it when these families go!! I bet Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc love these holidays moved over to Mondays....think of the plastic money spent.





I GUESS WE'RE LUCKY THAT EASTER SUNDAY, CHRISTMAS DAY AND THANKSGIVING WEREN'T MOVED TO MONDAYS......BUT, THIS OLD LADY SAYS, I VOTE TO PUT THEM BACK. I'M TIRED OF SAYING "Forgive me Christopher Columbus, I actually know when you sailed the ocean blue....." but I wonder how many kids nowdays really do!!

Yes ma'am I will take whine with my cheese please!





*****************




HOT TIME IN THE OLD TOWN ON FRIDAY. For those of you who remember where I lived as a child growing up, you will remember the house in the middle of the road if you were coming from downtown Greenview....or kitty-corner from the old grade school to the southwest or kitty-corner from the old St. John's church or Paster Bob's house after the church was torn down.




Unfortunately, it was a sad day for me on Friday, as this huge house caught fire and was severely damaged in the upper front. The shell still remains but the owner told me that it is badly damaged....but his words were "we will rebuild" as long as the insurance is enough. I hope so, as this was a Wernsing house and is way over a century old, with imported marble on both fireplaces, beautiful pocket doors, carved staircase and the interesting dumb waiters which go to the basement from the first floor. During the last 5 years or so, the house has seriously deteriorated which is unfortunate, and the carriage barn became so badly deteriorated, it was leveled. If you remember, my dad and mom always took pride in the yard which was extensively landscaped with a a variety of bushes and huge trees. I wish that could once again be the case. I'm glad it wasn't worse and I pray that it can be restored and not torn down.




My camera memory was too full to get views from the front but this is from the side. I hope to get other shots later today.





**************

Flu Shot clinic on Wednesday, October 14 in Petersburg at the health department 1120 North 4th Street from 1 pm to 7 pm. Cost is $30.00 or with a state of Illinois ID/retiree or with Medicare Part B, there is no charge. The H1N1 shot is not yet available.

*************

As you go through life today, please think of how you can better the Greenview community or your own community if you are a former Greenviewanite. Buy a can of food for the local food pantry, or pick up a few pieces of trash when you see it somewhere in your community. And above all, smile for the world. Even if you don't know the person you meet on the street, say "Good day isn't it" and smile! Today is the gift because it is the present, but tomorrow is the mystery.


3 comments:

Aaron Barbee said...

hey this is my old house in greenview

Aaron Barbee-Withrow

Anonymous said...

Aaron....yes I remember when your family lived there. I knew your mom well. She knew that my family owned this house fo years. I think we bought it in 1951 and my dad sold it in 1972 I think. The house isn't as good as shape as when you/I live there. Unfortunately the old barn was so bad it was leveled and the remains just sit there all in a pile. Maybe the rennovation now going on due to the fire will prompt the owners to clean up the yard a bit.
Thanks for coming to the blog. Tell our mom hi for me...and give her and David the blog address. :>)

Carla

Anonymous said...

p.s. typo...should have been tell your mom hello ......